What music are you playing VII.

Vince1159

After yet another splendid evening of live music at The Engine Room, North Shields, home listening to ‘Five Leaves Left’ in anticipation of the gig (at The Engine Room) ‘I saw Nick Drake’

A big thumbs up to Seamus AKA ‘I See Islands’

forgive the walk home photo  (a little refreshed)

51458771312_52a095d72f_b.jpg

Rock on

SD

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I love Nick Drake, lovely photograph 😊 

🐯 

Always a critic of taking photos on a phone - but this one okay. Only just got to Nick Drake, heaven knows why - brilliant, and now need to swot up

Massive dilemma now, that can never be solved

The first album I ever bought was either ‘Diamond Dogs’ (original vinyl now playing on the deck) or ‘Aladdin Sane’, which I will play next with a lovely bottle of something. Either which way, Bowie = Genius

SD

3 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Crickey, just put my original copy of Aladdin Sane on, its 50 years old

good grief

SD

And warped and unplayable. Moved on to 1975 ‘Original Soundtrack’ by 10CC

SD

I've just read a very interesting book on Dylan's electric set at the Newport jazz Festival in 1965, which divided the folk fans like nothing else.

(Dylan goes Electric by Elijah Wald).

So, not being a Dylan fan per se, though I love his songs covered by others - including the greatest cover version of all time, All along the watch tower by Hendrix, I thought I'd listen to his albums up to 1965 to get a flavour of the man's catalogue, what he would have sung at the festival.

Now some years ago I bought a box set of something like 45 albums for the knock down price of £99, instead of £140. I did so on the basis  that I recognise Dylan as an artiste who changed music profoundly - I like Like a Rolling stone, Rainy Day women, Tangled up in Blue,  and Leopard skin pill box hat, and probably a few more, and the album Desire. I'd previously listened to a few of the later albums.

Anyway, the first five albums are - well, if you're a dylan fan, you'll know them.

Having listened to all 5, I can truthfully say that if I had heard the first Dylan album, Bob Dylan back in 1962 or 63,  I believe I'd have asked my mother to draw me a bath and hand me a sharp razor blade.

Now I know Dylan excites strong emotions - as I said, there are a number of songs he's performed himself (see above)   I can listen to, but in all honesty I think those first five albums are awful.

Obviously, there are a couple of the aforementioned tracks along the way, and his own version of blowin in the wind is passable, but that first album in particular is awful.

I have to say though, back in 1996, Dylan fans showed me what they thought of the Who.

I went to the Hyde park concert featuring Dylan, Clapton and the Who, and after Dylan performed (the best bit was the 20 minute accoustic section in the middle of his set when he did Tangled up in blue) the Dylan fans, as a man, rose up and walked out rather than watch the Who.

i did't care, I got about 100 yards coser to the stage.

However, after the Who, was Mr soporific homself, Eric Clapton, who was so boring after 20 minutes I gave up and left.

Here's Dylan, though, the rimshot that changed the world at the Newport Festival, 1965;

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I've got at least 40 Dylan albums, many more than any other artist/group. Some are life-long favourites. Some suck rats testicles! I have all of them on my IPod.

Chris

Chris, this the box set I have;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Album-Collection-Vol-One/dp/B00F6Y3FKW

All the albums up to and including Tempest.

As I said, I think there are some great tracks on some of the albums, I like the Desire album as an album, but as a performer, I can't be doing with Dylan.

The funny thing is that outside of the Who,  I have every album Todd Rundgren has ever made, either solo or in a band, and as you say, some are life long favourites, some are not. 

Just watched the three programs which I recorded off of BBC4 on the Everly Brothers. IMO, the best harmonising due ever. I got to see them live in the early 70's at a small venue in Southend, The Talk of the South, or TOTS as it was better known. Our table was just feet way from them. They were absolutely brilliant. RIP Don and Phill.

John.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Just watched the three programs which I recorded off of BBC4 on the Everly Brothers. IMO, the best harmonising due ever. I got to see them live in the early 70's at a small venue in Southend, The Talk of the South, or TOTS as it was better known. Our table was just feet way from them. They were absolutely brilliant. RIP Don and Phill.

John.

You're right about the Everly Brothers, great harmonies and songs, to.

But TOTS - I went there too, in 1975 ! Great place as I recall, but it was a staightforward "disco" night, rather than an event. I am sure it was the last night "night out" from a course I was on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

You're right about the Everly Brothers, great harmonies and songs, to.

But TOTS - I went there too, in 1975 ! Great place as I recall, but it was a staightforward "disco" night, rather than an event. I am sure it was the last night "night out" from a course I was on.

And as they said in the program, they influenced a lot of acts. One such were the Hollies. Again, IMO, the best harmonising group (as they were called then, not bands). They even had Graham Nash confirming it.

Yes, TOTS used to double up as an event place and a disco. 

John.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

And as they said in the program, they influenced a lot of acts. One such were the Hollies. Again, IMO, the best harmonising group (as they were called then, not bands). They even had Graham Nash confirming it.

Yes, TOTS used to double up as an event place and a disco. 

John.

I thinkI saw that about the Hollies being influenced by the Everly Brothers recently.

I know the Who covered several Everly Bros. songs in the early ‘60’s, I have them in both concert - ahem - bootlegs and official recordings.

i can see (well hear) myself bringing out some Everly CDs this afternoon!

• Like 2