Compucolor CAC26

Italeri Acrylics 4687AP

Precision Paints M455

Scale Modellers Supply PL174

Hataka C328

Vallejo 71.090

Edited by Nebbor
forgot a few

I edited my post because I made an error in not specifying acrylics and didn't want to waste anyone time, I hadn't read the replies Nebbor, your link looks very useful now I have, I won't thank you given the tone of the response. 

2 hours ago, Miko said:

Brilliant work! Can you do the same for 'Blue Impulse' types too? Ha!

Sure!

T4

Gunze C380, C381, C382 (FS15180, FS17925, FS36440)

T2

Gunze C1 (or your favourite bright white), C322, C323

F86

Gunze C1 (or your favourite bright white), C323

Just to give you a specific color to search for, a guy on ARC’s forum, who worked in the hangar next to the Blues in Pensacola, matched the F/A-18s to FS15052 with his FS fan deck. Gunze acrylic and Mr Color lacquer Blue Impulse Blue are exact matches, but I haven’t had much luck brush painting with either. He said Xtracolor or Humbrol had an FS15052 “Blue Angels F/A-18 Blue,” so maybe there’s an Xtracrylix version?

FS15052 should work for the F-4J and A-4 as well, although the first A-4s may have been darker, according to Tommy’s blog referenced above.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Please take these so called exact matches with a few grains of salt: I have got 3 tins of Xtracolor X123 "Blue Angels blue", 2 are labelled FS15050, 1 as FS15052 and none of the 3 match each other when sprayed. Same product number, different results. Go figure.

As stated in my first post Xtracolor also has a paint for the Hornet 1999 season: X163. I have not tried that (yet). On the Hannant's page it looks lighter than X123. No Blue Angels colors in the Xtracrylics range.

58 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

Please take these so called exact matches with a few grains of salt: I have got 3 tins of Xtracolor X123 "Blue Angels blue", 2 are labelled FS15050, 1 as FS15052 and none of the 3 match each other when sprayed. Same product number, different results. Go figure.

As stated in my first post Xtracolor also has a paint for the Hornet 1999 season: X163. I have not tried that (yet). On the Hannant's page it looks lighter than X123. No Blue Angels colors in the Xtracrylics range.

Back before I gave up on Xtracolor because they were so difficult to get in the US, I had found they were becoming more and more inconsistent with their colors. No two tins seemed to match. I've never had that problem with Gunze or Mr Color.

X123 was the one the gentleman on ARC mentioned for FS15052. 

Ben

21 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Xtracolor or Humbrol had an FS15052 “Blue Angels F/A-18 Blue,”

Humbrol definitely did; Xtracolo(u)r may or may not have had one as well.

Can people please play nice in this thread.

Maybe not the answer you are looking fro but xtracolor do both the early and late blue angles paint as its lighter on the hornet than it was on earlier aircraft. I have original paint chips from a Blue Angles Honet in the blue and yellow and these match the xtracolor paints. I have brushed both of these with good results.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 8:48 AM, Julien said:

.... I have original paint chips from a Blue Angles Honet in the blue and yellow...

You are a lucky modeler!👍

• Like 1