1/144 BAC Prototype Concorde

1 minute ago, neilg said:

Is it too big for a wood glue window?

Oh, I see what you mean now - the prototype didn't have a visor window, I don't think.  It had a metal visor with those small side windows only.

• Like 1

Nice to see this one being built.

I almost finished mine,although its the 1966 release.

Planned to use the kits decal stripes with support from my spares but they were too old and brittle.

Now had to improvise and repaint the model.

I will finish it in a sort of "what if" in Lufthansa colors as they had ordered the Concorde back in the day.

I stay tuned and follow this with interest.

• Like 1

The prototypes had only 2 small front windows if I remember correctly.Too bad Airfix did not adress this on their new decal sheet.

But as this kit seems older than the actual prototypes,its more of an impression than a replica of the real thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, neilg said:

Oh, I see what you mean now - the prototype didn't have a visor window, I don't think.  It had a metal visor with those small side windows only.

Really odd, the prototype did have two small visor windows, I either and just leave as blue, or do some drastic changes to the nose and create some windows, but to do this I would need to cut off nose and use some clear plastic card??

sdkop7oxzul41.jpg?auto=webp&s=db159c2f9e

• Like 5

Just now, Alex1978 said:

The prototypes had only 2 small front windows if I remember correctly.Too bad Airfix did not adress this on their new decal sheet.

But as this kit seems older than the actual prototypes,its more of an impression than a replica of the real thing.

Blimey, that makes sense now, it's a shame that the artist didn't think how the pilot would see forward!  So I either build the easy way, out of the box, or get cutting?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in getting this one completed.  I had an issue with the nose section, I did attempt to use the blue decals for the nose, but they were rubbish and fell apart.  So I gave myself a headache working out how to mask and paint.

51299301570_0c37463549_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/8/2021 at 6:41 AM, Andy350 said:

Really odd, the prototype did have two small visor windows, I either and just leave as blue, or do some drastic changes to the nose and create some windows, but to do this I would need to cut off nose and use some clear plastic card??

sdkop7oxzul41.jpg?auto=webp&s=db159c2f9e

I have two of the Testors kits which I didn't know is the prototype. Both are built with decals. the nose isn't as smooth as the picture here. Like to replace them with the 1/72 kit. The model looks good, paint turned out really nice.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

This is a very old kit - originally released in 1966!

I would be embarrassed to release this one if I was Airfix, unless it comes with a warning on the box... it could seriously detract from their newer and far superior offerings.

I think the 'Vintage Classic' label on the box front may be a bit of a giveaway................

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

I think the 'Vintage Classic' label on the box front may be a bit of a giveaway................

I don't mind some of the Vintage Classic models, nice and cheap, but also fairly simple to build up some painting skills.

3 hours ago, Andy350 said:

I don't mind some of the Vintage Classic models, nice and cheap, but also fairly simple to build up some painting skills.

Absolutley, I cannot say I overly enjoy modelling a lot of the time nowadays.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 07/05/2021 at 21:43, neilg said:

I had this one on pre-order until I learned what Vintage Classic meant.  I had already built one of these using the prototype decals from F-DCAL, and it went together quite well.

I'm not overly fussed on accuracy issues, but the two engine nacelles didn't have a splitter plate to separate the two intake trunks.   I did scratch-built them with plasticard.

I saw there is a Concorde gift set available to pre-order on the Airfix website, with the product number A50189.  It doesn't have the Vintage Classics V-number or label on the page, so I'm not sure if it's a re-release of the usual 1/144 Concorde...

I'm looking forward to seeing this one in BOAC colours - what are the decals like?

How did the F-DCAL decals work out? Are they delivered ready to apply? I was a bit confused by the silk screen print reference 

@Tour de Airfix I built an Airfix Concorde Prototype late last year and also used the F-DCAL decal set. They come on two sheets, one laser printed and one silk screen printed. They go on very well and you apply both straight from the sheet and I didn't need any setting solution.

Dave

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Tour de Airfix said:

How did the F-DCAL decals work out? Are they delivered ready to apply? I was a bit confused by the silk screen print reference 

I gave up with the decals.  In the end I had to shelve this one, with the intention of masking and painting.

• Sad 1