1/144 BAC Prototype Concorde

Following on from another straight forward build onto this, it may have very parts, but the kit does require some tidying up, plus, the fit doesn't seem to be that great.

51164126335_a07a250ae5_b.jpg

• Like 5

The parts are not great, maybe this is an older kit?  Won't matter as this will be wheels up, and smooth.

51163593923_819bb96da2_b.jpg

Fit not great, will take some sanding, filling, sanding and more filling.  The one side of the wing that meets the fuselage will need building up as the end is missing.

51163593768_ee129b3257_b.jpg 

51163350176_f133cc2218_b.jpg

Closed up and ready for the wings.

51164136324_451d79e839_b.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

This is a very old kit - originally released in 1966!

I would be embarrassed to release this one if I was Airfix, unless it comes with a warning on the box... it could seriously detract from their newer and far superior offerings.

It sort of does come with a warning right on the box. 

This logo means BEWARE!

Doesn't always mean bad but it does mean it isn't going to be their latest and greatest. 

EOZyHcdWoAEKEID.jpg

Edited by Tcoat
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

It sort of does come with a warning right on the box. 

This logo means BEWARE!

Doesn't always mean bad but it does mean it isn't going to be their latest and greatest. 

spacer.png

Exactly! You know what you're getting with a Vintage Classic. I bought one for nostalgia and won't go near them again. I agree that Airfix should be embarrassed - a new sub brand doesn't give them the excuse to release rubbish (in my book, others may differ).

If you want to hone your modelling, filling, scribing, scratchbuilding, swearing, skills, these are the kits for you.

Great start Andy, you have already got further with this than I did in 1972.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DonH said:

Exactly! You know what you're getting with a Vintage Classic. I bought one for nostalgia and won't go near them again. I agree that Airfix should be embarrassed - a new sub brand doesn't give them the excuse to release rubbish (in my book, others may differ).

If you want to hone your modelling, filling, scribing, scratchbuilding, swearing, skills, these are the kits for you.

Great start Andy, you have already got further with this than I did in 1972.

Thanks Don.  I didn't even think about the "Vintage", just thought it was a new release, but I suppose at £16 it wasn't never going to be.  Starting this was a little like the Revell 1/72.  May as well complete now.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

And therein lies the problem for Airfix... this could put people off the brand for life!

In fairness some of those vintage kits are actually pretty nice and in many cases the only option for certain subjects. Not a horrible thing as long as people understand they are not getting a state of the art shake and bake kit. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DonH said:

I agree that Airfix should be embarrassed

Why?

They make no claim this is a new kit, the branding on the box is very clear and with the wonder of the internet information is freely available on almost any kit including this one.

From what I have seen these re-releases of old kits are selling well and it can be no different from buying an old kit from any other outlet. Another bonus of these re-issues is that if I want, for instance, an HS 125 Dominie I pay Airfix £16 rather than an ebay seller £25-30 so win win IMHO.

Good luck with the build, it will polish up nicely with a bit of TLC.👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Why?

They make no claim this is a new kit, the branding on the box is very clear and with the wonder of the internet information is freely available on almost any kit including this one.

From what I have seen these re-releases of old kits are selling well and it can be no different from buying an old kit from any other outlet. Another bonus of these re-issues is that if I want, for instance, an HS 125 Dominie I pay Airfix £16 rather than an ebay seller £25-30 so win win IMHO.

Good luck with the build, it will polish up nicely with a bit of TLC.👍

If you don't mind a bit of filler and sanding that are quite enjoyable.  The instructions are over two pages. 

It will be a clean looking aircraft with nothing sticking out or hanging off.

I had this one on pre-order until I learned what Vintage Classic meant.  I had already built one of these using the prototype decals from F-DCAL, and it went together quite well.

I'm not overly fussed on accuracy issues, but the two engine nacelles didn't have a splitter plate to separate the two intake trunks.   I did scratch-built them with plasticard.

I saw there is a Concorde gift set available to pre-order on the Airfix website, with the product number A50189.  It doesn't have the Vintage Classics V-number or label on the page, so I'm not sure if it's a re-release of the usual 1/144 Concorde...

I'm looking forward to seeing this one in BOAC colours - what are the decals like?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, neilg said:

I had this one on pre-order until I learned what Vintage Classic meant.  I had already built one of these using the prototype decals from F-DCAL, and it went together quite well.

I'm not overly fussed on accuracy issues, but the two engine nacelles didn't have a splitter plate to separate the two intake trunks.   I did scratch-built them with plasticard.

I saw there is a Concorde gift set available to pre-order on the Airfix website, with the product number A50189.  It doesn't have the Vintage Classics V-number or label on the page, so I'm not sure if it's a re-release of the usual 1/144 Concorde...

I'm looking forward to seeing this one in BOAC colours - what are the decals like?

Funny you mention the intakes

2021-05-07_05-25-26

Apart from painting the tail, the rest are decals, there isn't much else. 

• Like 5

Not a great fit, but easy fix.  

51164856441_32e1356487_b.jpg

The decals are very odd, they get you to apply the side decals to the windows and then apply each window.  Think I will mask and paint!!

51165095303_26b2cbba1d_b.jpg

• Like 2

They've changed the instructions then - originally it would have been apply the side decals before assembling the fuselage halves, punch through the decals into the window holes then attach the windows from inside before putting the fuselage halves together.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Not a great fit, but easy fix.  

51164856441_32e1356487_b.jpg

The decals are very odd, they get you to apply the side decals to the windows and then apply each window.  Think I will mask and paint!!

51165095303_26b2cbba1d_b.jpg

I had a difficult time with the wrap-around nose decal for the BOAC 707.  The decals were too thick to wrap neatly around the nose, and I ended up with creases.

If I did it again, I would mask and paint - I was curious to see if this kit had instructions to paint the blue, or if they supplied wrap-around decals.

Are there clear parts for the windows?

• Like 1

Looking at the instructions again, it does show the decals applied before joining, a bit odd as there is no way you join sand then paint without damaging them. 

I'm going to mask and paint. 

I will use wood glue to replicate the windows. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

The visor windows were totally left off, I thought about cutting up out, any thoughts?

51165345248_6b75cebecd_b.jpg

Is it too big for a wood glue window?