Austin Mini Cooper S in 1/24 scale

This is my model of the iconic Austin Mini Cooper S. The Tamiya 1/24 scale kit is truly an oldie and has long ago been discontinued. Inside the kit there was the marking 1983. I was able to order mine on the net. The quality and the fit of the parts was good but not of the current Tamiya level. To emphasize the British origin of the car I asked my friend to print the Union Jack decal for the roof. 

I sprayed the red areas with Tamiya TS-8 Italian red. Inside the car I painted the seats and other parts with Humbrol and Vallejo colours and the floor was covered with dark red flock. The widow frames and other chrome coloured areas I modelled from Bare-Metal foil. In the engine compartment I added some wiring to make it look a bit busier.

One snafu, of course happened during the construction. There was a nice metal transfer of the brand "Austin Cooper S" to be attached to the trunk. Well, in about forty years the glue had weakened so much that the letters didn't stick to the surface. When trying to detach the transfers from the tape I managed to ruin the "Austin". As I was to succeed with the 1 mm sized "S" it suddenly skyrocketed to outer space and was sucked in to the black hole of lost parts. So the Cooper one was the only transfer that I managed to get out and it sits now on the trunk. It's not correct but what can you do!

spacer.png 

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

It may be an old kit but you have shown that it builds into a great model. 

I think the Austin version is a more recent issue and it was originally released as the Morris Cooper S. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

It may be an old kit but you have shown that it builds into a great model. 

I think the Austin version is a more recent issue and it was originally released as the Morris Cooper S. 

Thanks John! It's probably just the way you said.

Cheers

Einar

• Thanks 1