Kit bashing warships at 1/600

Unicorn has quite the history including, first ship with latest radar at the time, tallest bridge in RN when commissioned, only ACC to use its guns for shore bombardment, first RN ship to bring in reinforcements to Korea. I note a huge amount of pictures & film covering her career, which I hope will help make this happen. The flight deck seems I’ll likely just trim both bow & aft but the hull sides make take a bit of forethought before first cut. The bridge assembly is noticeably forward compared to most larger carriers. I honestly really like the looks of this ship, and the fact that is was designed with 2 hanger decks makes this kit bash from Ark Royal almost a natural.

• Like 1

Flight deck shortened just under 4inches. Bow will get more shaping and none of the lifts are positioned correctly so can’t be used. Next up, scary hull cut 🪚spacer.png

See y’all soon!

cheers,

Rob

• Like 6

Distinction indeed, just consulted the Oracle (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Unicorn_(I72)) for anyone else in need of a quick primer. Must say you're far braver than me to slice up that hull (i imagine somewhere in the midsection and re-gluing together?). Either that or I've found someone with a larger whisky budget than me, good luck.

David

• Like 1

Gidday Rob, good luck with the cut. If you haven't cut yet you could download a line drawing of the ship, scale it up to 1/600 and compare with the kit hull. It might help you decide exactly where to cut, plus avoid any confusion as to stated lengths of the respective ships - oa, wl or pp. But I guess I'm pointing out the obvious. Again, good luck. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Well I wouldn’t be so brave if Airfix Ark Royal was out of production or as above, I already have the completed model. Originally I wanted to mod extra hull into Victorious but Ark Royal was noticeably taller having 2 hanger decks... Unicorn will be my second hull cut/shorten but definitely not as easy as Uganda from Belfast, where I had a plaster cast of hull to add rigidity & form while I cut:spacer.pngI was hoping my new Jewellers saw would make process easier but so far all I managed was to break several blades😲 Yes picking a spot at midships for reducing the easiest way to go to make reassemble possible. I did cut up hull already but it ain’t much to look at yet. Next pic to come (edit: of current build) after filing for proper fit. Thx for your kind words & interest!

Rob

Edited by Aayin1941

14 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Rob, good luck with the cut. If you haven't cut yet you could download a line drawing of the ship, scale it up to 1/600 and compare with the kit hull. 

Hi Jeff. Sadly I don’t have a PC ATM and the closest I can do without $ to print shop is to resize on my IPad as I did with Uganda:spacer.pngfunny thing I learned the hard way with above line drawing! You can’t trust the internet 😬as in the above line drawing was posted on 2 reputable forums as a Ceylon class cruiser! I was half way through my mod when I realized it was actually a Swiftshire class cruiser which had an extra 2x4” turret and different details around the forward funnel. 
Hope things are well with you & yours, & as always, thx Jeff, 4 the kind words😎

cheers,

Rob

PS & edit: as flight deck is still one piece & now the right length I intend to use it for the alignment & resizing of everything else.

Edited by Aayin1941

Bow section cut & reinforced. FWIW most of the open air windows will be filled in, and if I have the patience, a few new ones cut out. The anchors are positioned completely different as is the end of the flight deck, major surgery ahead...spacer.png

• Like 2

Stern poses some major mods, totally different than Ark Royal. I guess the large open space(plz do confirm if possible) was used to launch a shuttle which ferried damaged aircraft between ships.spacer.png

Hi Rob,

Good job! I'll cancel the whisky despatch.

This link has some good photos and also mentions that the open rear hanger used a lighter to transfer aircraft and could be used to service floatplanes: https://www.armouredcarriers.com/hms-unicorn-maintenance-support

The exact workings of this arrangement appear to be present in some of the books referenced in the wiki article I posted above, but otherwise eludes me.

David

• Thanks 1

Thx David, somehow the term ‘lighter’ eluded me. Now that I know what this ferry was called, maybe after more research I can build it as part of Unicorn. I love the Armoured Carrier link, so many pictures I admit to not reading all the text before your last post. Funny, I often use Wiki as a source to find further references but never tried on this subject, thx for taking the time to remind me of my oversight. Off to check them now. TBS the Lighter was such an integral part of Unicorn’s ability it’d be a shame to not have it as part of the build. 
Take care everyone & don’t forget your Mother on this day💕

Cheers,

Rob

spacer.pngDisclaimer. Maybe a good time to excuse myself as compared to many great modellers on this & other forums. I grew up in the 60s when even the best models available were a far cry from the accuracy of what’s available today. Add to that all my early builds were rushed as we kids would manoeuvre our fleets on the lawn. Today I am somewhat handicapped with bad 👀 & a neurological condition commonly known as Cyclist Palsy. 
So please be forewarned, I am not in this to produce the most accurate model. I admit in fact to put the Bash in kit mod, often siting need to finish or use of what’s available, over exquisite details.

It’s just me having fun reminiscing my youth. When life was kinda simple, and detailed analysis somewhat overwhelming ️ 

• Like 2

Glad it's not just me making 'pew-pew' noises with my kits. I'm also trialling waves breaking over a deck to hide a fingerprint so...

Anyway, sorry to keep replying, this topic has really piqued my interest. I think there's a (slightly hidden) pic of  the 'lighter' halfway down my previous link and another in the following links. To all intents and purposes it just looks like a barge to me:

https://pacificwrecks.com/airfields/png/ponam/1945/ponam-corsair-unload.html

Better view here:

https://apostlesofmercy.tumblr.com/post/138555167775/hms-unicorn-light-aircraft-carrier-and

I see clydemaritime.co.uk notes it was self propelled, but all I see is a flat barge.

David

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Anyway, sorry to keep replying, this topic has really piqued my interest... To all intents and purposes it just looks like a barge to me:

Don’t be sry for adding valued content, from where I sit very much appreciated. Amazing research you, I will be sure to check everything thx.

I agree it looks like a small almost square barge but with a box at stern capable of ~6 knots. On the Armoured Carriers link / Unicorn page you provided, there is a video embedded at top, but it takes a small bit to start so one could miss it scrolling down too fast. Anywho, the short starts out with a pass of Unicorn then has several views of Lighter with up to 3 folded wing planes onboard, the world’s smallest ACC lol🔍

Edited by Aayin1941
Grammar lol

Gidday Rob, AFAIK both Belfast and Unicorn carried 4-inch guns whereas Ark Royal carried 4.5-inch, and in a different mounting, so this is probably a good idea. I think those carried by HMS Ark Royal were the same as those carried by the Toothless Terrors (the AA cruisers Scylla and Charybdis). Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2