Craft knife handle recommendation?

Michael Morris

For years I've used a set of cheap tubular metal handles for holding by Exacto/ Swann Morton blades.  

I've finally got fed up of constantly having to stop them rolling off my workbench and into my feet.  

I'm after some good quality handles that provide a nice grip, but are neither thin and flat, nor tubular.  Just something that feels good in the hand.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Hi Michael

Unfortunatly I think most handles are flat or tubular however if you are looking for a good tubular handle can I point you towards a Swann Morton ACM Number 1 set, available from Historex Agents of Dover.  

A good way of stopping a tubular handle making a break for freedom and impaling itself in your foot it to tape a short length of thin wire along part of its length - you might need to look at how you hold the knife to work out the most comfortable location.  This will then act as a wedge to stop the handle rolling on your workbench.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

What I did was put something under the front legs of my table so now everything round tends to roll toward the back of the table. As there are some little storage drawers and other paraphernalia back there, nothing rolls off. 

51001550116_4369b68f60_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

What I did was put something under the front legs of my table so now everything round tends to roll toward the back of the table. As there are some little storage drawers and other paraphernalia back there, nothing rolls off. 

Chris

That's a nice looking workbench you have there.  My workbench doubles as a home/work desk and is on a electric rise and fall frame as I have a bad back.  Tilting it backwards would create all sorts of posture problems + mean things would just roll off the back into the spaghetti of 230v cables under my desk.

• Like 1

Could you ask someone to 3D print you a square/hexagonal piece you could stick on the very end of the handle? It shouldn't be in the way while working and it should easily keep the handle from searching for your feet.

You could try something like this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Coated-Mould-Cutting-Scalpel-Handle-for-Swann-Morton-Blades-TC015A-/264679844056

This is a copy of a Swann Morton Handle that is highly recommended by many modellers. Can't quickly find a link to the Swann Morton version. Not sure if they are available in the UK.

HTH.  P

Update - Found the Swann Morton version from a UK Stockist https://www.scalpelsandblades.co.uk/handle-detail_541_swann-morton-genuine-no-5-ergonomic-1003-sleeved-handle-.php

Edited by PDH
Additional Information

There are loads of different handles available for Swann Morton blades.  Some flat, some rounded, some long, some short, as @PDH showed.  Try a few different ones until you find one suitable. :)

I picked up some tubular handles made by Neilsen - they come with a rubber 'over' handle that is comfortable to grip and prevents it rolling off the bench.  Would post  a pic but forgotten how to!

Heres a pic on a wholesalers site   https://shop.cannontools.co.uk/knives/hobby-knife-with-5-extra-blades-7566-35-15749576.php

Swan Morton handles actually feel really good in the hand - just ask any surgeon! Or you could keep your tubular handles and wrap the handle in elastic band - nice grip and tend not to roll. Many years ago I had a tubular handle and used a wrap of blue-tac at the end - worked well to prevent rolling!

Hope you fond something that suits.

Q

17 hours ago, Michael Morris said:

That's a nice looking workbench you have there.

My room-mate was working at the local college, back in '81 and he brought it home one day. The college was replacing some old stuff and this was going to the dump. I've had it ever since. Ya just can't beat free!

Chris

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions.  In the end I found exactly what I was looking for in a local model shop.  Pretty cheap too.

Nicely sized rubberised handle for a easy to hold grip and a built in nobbly bit to stop it rolling.  I think it was less than £8. 😁

spacer.png

• Like 2

I use Excel handles. All metal except for the rubber covering on the body. The blade twist lock is at the non-sharp end, making it safer to tighten and loosen blades; the handle also has a hex end that prevents rolling. They're very well made--I've had them for quite a very long time now.

• Like 1