Desert Shermans

Smithy1961

I understand that for the most, the British used the M4A1 in North Africa and the variants were II, IIa and III. I would like to build a 1/35 scale kit that includes the side skirts if possible and preferably with a cast hull. Apart from the Dragon 6447 kit (which I can't get hold of) does anyone know of a suitable alternative? 

7 hours ago, Smithy1961 said:

I understand that for the most, the British used the M4A1 in North Africa and the variants were II, IIa and III. I would like to build a 1/35 scale kit that includes the side skirts if possible and preferably with a cast hull. Apart from the Dragon 6447 kit (which I can't get hold of) does anyone know of a suitable alternative? 

ll's and lll's and possibly a few l's, but no lla's. They were 76mm armed and used in Italy.

John.

Both Dragon and Asuka have very nice versions of Sherman II and III. Dragon Sherman IIs and IIIs are easier to find. There are couple of listings on eBay at the moment for both of them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373497142823?hash=item56f62a1e27:g:KVcAAOSwepJXY9Yu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124484346851?hash=item1cfbd863e3:g:fvcAAOSwK9heQKmc

And also in some shops:

https://plastmodel.pl/p/1010/37770/dragon-6617-el-alamein-sherman-w-magic-track-1-35-czolgi-1939-1945-skala-1-35-pojazdy-i-sprzet-wojskowy.html

Asuka is a bit harder to find. I bought their Sherman III at Bovongton Tank Musion online shop, but they don't have them at the moment. They do appear on eBay from time to time, but price may be high.

A built two of them recently (Dragon and Asuka Sherman II). You can find comparison and some details about the kits in my WIP thread:

Cheers,

Nenad

There were a number of different build configurations of Sherman I and III in N Africa.  Essentially early production with direct vision and later production without, early production M3 type bogies and the more common M4 type.  The different kits represent a variety of these.

Many people would advocate that the Asuka/Tasca kits are best.  The Sherman III is a direct vision tank with the later bogies, so probably post-Alamein timescale.  The II has direct vision and early bogies, appropriate for Alamein and after.  These can both be hard to find and expensive: expect £60+.  They do pop up on eBay etc in both Tasca and Asuka boxings: same kits.

spacer.png  spacer.png

Dragon offer a wider selection.  Their El Alamein kit mirrors the Tasca/Asuka Sherman II kit and is appropriate for Alamein and after.  They have 3 Sherman III kits which are appropriate for N Africa, but really post-Alamein.  The Sherman III DV also mirrors the Tasca kit could be OK for Alamein but certainly later.  These can all be hard to find too and are not all currently available.  Expect £40+.  Dragon are revising their range to eliminate the nasty DS vinyl tracks.  The Sicily kit is probably only appropriate to Tunisia and has tracks which are unusual but not unknown on M4s, being far more common on M3 Grants.

spacer.png  spacer.png spacer.png  spacer.png

The Dragon El Alamein Sherman is more common than the Tasca/Asuka equivalent and generally about 2/3 of the price.  It's said to be a nice kit and is reasonably accurate.  I have one but haven't examined it closely: I wasn't going to pay Asuka prices and still have to add after-market parts. The Dragon bogies are simpler than Tasca's.  Both have vinyl tracks that IMO need replacing.  The Dragon DS tracks most certainly do as they don't last, which is why Dragon have withdrawn them.

The Dragon kit is a PSC tank with the early riveted lower hull while the Asuka is a Lima tank.  Minor differences.

Edited by Das Abteilung
Bad spelling!