1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Is that who would get it or who would want it?

A cabinet of curiosities might put in a strong bid as well.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2021 at 10:59 PM, Navy Bird said:

I also had a look at the engines and they are a BIG improvement over what comes with the kit (which resemble nothing I've ever seen - an air boat engine perhaps). Obviously, due to the cowling only the front of the engine can be seen so don't worry that the rear bank of cylinders is a malformed blob of resin:

IMG_5966

Bill, having to unfortunately (for the present time) reside smack in the midst of "AIR BOAT HEAVEN" here in central Flooreeduh, I can say that this resembles nothing on any local machine. They mostly use either good 'Murcan V8 car engines or flat-6 small aircraft motors. Occasionally some weirdo will even put a Subaru engine in one.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:59 PM, Navy Bird said:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, SmashedGlass said:

Bill, having to unfortunately (for the present time) reside smack in the midst of "AIR BOAT HEAVEN" here in central Flooreeduh, I can say that this resembles nothing on any local machine. They mostly use either good 'Murcan V8 car engines or flat-6 small aircraft motors. Occasionally some weirdo will even put a Subaru engine in one.

Many memories of those noisy buggers from my 7 years in Crystal River!

Fun if you're out on them though.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Bill, I just read about your surgery on PC's thread - oh my gosh!

Looks like you'll have a bionic back good for the duration I hope - wish you a speedy recovery my friend.

Thanks Cookie. I think I may actually have more titanium than bone at this point.     ☠️

Every day will get a little bit better. I've had enough of these surgeries to know how the recuperation goes. My procedure was moved up to last Wednesday, so today (just about a week later) I stood at the workbench and sprayed some zinc chromate. I had to stop after working for a half hour as the pain was starting to interfere. That will change, too. I have the physio lady coming to my house twice a week (whilst wifey is home, you lecherous old enamel sniffers) to build up my core strength. It will take time, but you should expect to see further updates in the Battle of the Privateer soon.      :pirate:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ruudster said:

heal up well Bill!  I hope it all goes as it should.

Thanks - and you stay cool. I hear it's hot out there.     :jump_fire:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Nice to see you back at the bench Bill if only briefly, hope the rest of your recuperation goes well.

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks Cookie. I think I may actually have more titanium than bone at this point.     ☠️

Every day will get a little bit better. I've had enough of these surgeries to know how the recuperation goes. My procedure was moved up to last Wednesday, so today (just about a week later) I stood at the workbench and sprayed some zinc chromate. I had to stop after working for a half hour as the pain was starting to interfere. That will change, too. I have the physio lady coming to my house twice a week (whilst wifey is home, you lecherous old enamel sniffers) to build up my core strength. It will take time, but you should expect to see further updates in the Battle of the Privateer soon.      :pirate:

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, just that short spray session is a win and I for one am delighted to see you fighting back. Well done that Earthling.

Supportive of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great that you got some time back on this one Bill, and what better way to do it that airbrushing zinc chromate primer! I've been there myself with having titanium pieces installed in my back, although not had some of the ongoing issues you have suffered.

Take much care and fingers crossed for speedy recovery.

Terry

• Thanks 1

As my back is asking for more support this week I feel for you Bill, seeing what you have been going through makes me happier to work through my back's issues without additional metal working.

I'm very happy to hear you could manage an hour of fettling with paint too, I sometimes lose hours with my colouring books /helicopter greeblies at the paint shop.

Keep well mate, rooting for you over here (where it isn't anywhere near hot enough for my summer expectations.)

• Thanks 1

OK here goes...I am going to attempt to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins. No, wait, that's not right. I am going to attempt to put all the Cobra bits bits into the Matchbox forward fuselage section. I have to stand while doing this, as the bar stool I normally sit on is not supportive enough. Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Maybe if I had a drink while on that bar stool...    :drink:

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

That's the spirit, when all else fails, beer and opiates wins the day!

Sensible of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Martian said:

That's the spirit, when all else fails, beer and opiates wins the day!

I took your advice, but I accidentally mixed in some resin residue, and sipped it whilst there was a strong waft of Mr. Color in the air. The result, as they say, was "interesting." Never before have lung and belly conspired to alter the modeller's mood in such a way. Perhaps after I finish the repair I'll let you know how it ended up.      :banghead:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. The preceding comments were an attempt at lame humour. Anyone who believes such a silly thing should try the concoction personally.     :drunk:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Glad to hear you're back in one piece, as it were, Bill, and back on the Privateer! Best wishes on a speedy recovery! Regarding having a drink whilst working on the model, I've done much of my best modelling whilst downing a long, tall, cool one. That was years ago, as I haven't touched the stuff in years. Hmm, maybe that's why my production has gone down...

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. Now this raises an interesting question. Did the modelling drive me to drink, or did the drinking drive me to modelling?

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Now this raises an interesting question. Did the modelling drive me to drink, or did the drinking drive me to modelling?

Does the process matter? In either case, you're a happy modeller and a drunk.      :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 7

Glad to see you are still modelling. And all the other stuff that goes with it… which is my way of clumsily saying keep on keeping’ on.

IMHO the Matchbox Privateer gets unfairly bad press. Modify what you want and enjoy the rest! It will look awesome.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Modify what you want and enjoy the rest!

I think that is spot on. Having gone through the Ginter book just once, to take care of everything would probably require the rest of my days. Git 'er close enough and git on with the next one!     :hobbyhorse:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Modify what you want and enjoy the rest! It will look awesome.

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Git 'er close enough and git on with the next one! 

Sounds like how I intend to tackle mine come the day. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

My attempt to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins (Season 1, Episode 28: "The City on the Edge of Forever") did not succeed. Too much pain, and I don't want to overdo it. I might give it another try later this afternoon.      :(

I'm wondering if I should perhaps build a nice little out-of-the-box, shake and bake kit while I get my full modelling self back. But then, the more I think about it, the more I realize it is not possible for me to do such a thing. Upon opening the box, I would be immediately placing an order for aftermarket goodies. It's a disease, I can't help it.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 6