1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

the flight deck looks sufficient

It's official! Winner of the understatement of the year award 2021!

Stunning :) 

Have a great break Bill and good luck with the surgery matey.

• Thanks 1

Bill,

Can't top what the others have said regarding your flight deck- awesome! Definitely saving your flight deck and nose gear photos for future reference- can't wait to see how you manage the Erco side blisters, as they are very complex! You can do it!

Mike

BTW- Blunderbuss is a great choice for markings!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Almost oxymoronic Bill huh?

Ha! Government is one of those things that I would like to just work, and I not have to hear about it.     🙉

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

Then, when you get back you can set about that resin like a MacAdder on speed.

Hmm...how fast can a red-headed Mr. Bean kipper salesman attack resin? Well, he is the most dangerous man to ever wear a skirt in Europe so maybe pretty fast.     :banghead:

2 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Cockpit looks awesome, especially like the seats! I'll be shamelessly cribbing your front wheel mods soon as well...

Crib away! Nothing proprietary here - I cribbed it from Convair!     :)

1 hour ago, CedB said:

It's official! Winner of the understatement of the year award 2021!

Stunning :) 

Have a great break Bill and good luck with the surgery matey.

Thanks Ced. Understatement eh? Well, I suppose it's that at least. And I'm pretty good at doing the least.    :)

35 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

can't wait to see how you manage the Erco side blisters, as they are very complex! You can do it!

BTW- Blunderbuss is a great choice for markings!

Thanks Mike. Luckily I have a LOT of good references in the Ginter book concerning the waist turrets. We'll give it a good go! Yeah, I like the Blunderbuss markings - I mean, the naked ladies are nice (@CedB - I think I just beat the previous understatement of the year!) but they can be overdone.     :drunk:

Toodles,

Bill

• Haha 8

This cockpit is really exquisite!  It think that's the right adjective to describe it.  You'll have a fair amount of greenhouse up top, and if you're feeling really lucky, you could even display it with one or both of the cockpit side windows slid back.  It got hot out where these babies sat!

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

You'll have a fair amount of greenhouse up top, and if you're feeling really lucky, you could even display it with one or both of the cockpit side windows slid back.

That is the plan.    :)

Just for giggles, note the difference in the size of the waist turret between Revell/Matchbox on the left and the Cobra resin on the right:

IMG_5964

The Revell/Matchbox part is definitely undersize, but the Cobra part may actually be just a wee bit oversize. Regardless, I shall endeavour to use the Cobra part (even though it's not a good fit to the Revell/Matchbox fuselage - I'll make it fit somehow). The kit's waist turret is not very detailed, almost toy-like, and I hope that the Cobra bits help out. I think they will, but I also think a fair amount of scratchbuilding will also be required. The ERCO side turret is quite complex - lots of greeblies and gubbins.

I also had a look at the engines and they are a BIG improvement over what comes with the kit (which resemble nothing I've ever seen - an air boat engine perhaps). Obviously, due to the cowling only the front of the engine can be seen so don't worry that the rear bank of cylinders is a malformed blob of resin:

IMG_5966

What's important to notice in this last photo is the oval shape that is right underneath the engine. That bit is very important as it slips into the cowling, centers the engine properly, and provides a surface for gluing.

The Mad Caster stopped by today and picked up my one good cowling, put it in his pocket, and promised to return with...something. He has some ideas on how to duplicate this and I'll leave that up to him as I know nothing about it. Sooner or later I'm going to have to spring for a 3D printer...

I'll leave you with a beautiful photo of this morning's eclipse at sunrise taken by a member of our local astronomy club.

6-10-21 eclipse 01

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 28

Fabulous modelling as always Bill, with a great photograph of an eclipse thrown in for good measure!

Hope you have a great time at the beach house & that all goes well with the op and recovery.

Edge

• Thanks 1

Have a Great time at the beach Bill. Of course, while out and about sightseeing, should you happen upon  a hobby shoppe, you might want to "pop in" for a sec and  get a few things to "aid in your recovery" as it were.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I discovered this thread this afternoon. The catch up was going well, and I hadn't missed any build work until around page 4, then I read the bad news re your back troubles Bill. So sorry to hear that. I had spinal fusion surgery myself a few years ago. It sort of cured one major thing but I still get minor troubles, though nothing like you seem to be going through. Fingers crossed the surgery goes ok.

Don't think I can recall a Navy Bird build as big as this, so quite something to experience. Absolutely love that cockpit.

Will follow with keen interest, and I'll get my beer at the bar!

Terry

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Edge said:

Fabulous modelling as always Bill, with a great photograph of an eclipse thrown in for good measure!

That is a great shot, isn't it? The sky was really red that morning, which is not all that common around here.

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

Have a Great time at the beach Bill. Of course, while out and about sightseeing, should you happen upon  a hobby shoppe, you might want to "pop in" for a sec and  get a few things to "aid in your recovery" as it were.

We go to the same beach house every year, and a couple of years back I spent an entire afternoon visiting local hobby shoppes. One was in the middle of nowheres and had only one plastic kit on their shelves (an old KP kit in the "wrong" scale), another shoppe had closed, and the third was a Hobby Lobby that I only go to at last resort. It had a lot of plastic, but mostly cars. I bought something but can't remember what it was...probably this Privateer!     :)

45 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Don't think I can recall a Navy Bird build as big as this, so quite something to experience. Absolutely love that cockpit.

Will follow with keen interest, and I'll get my beer at the bar!

Thanks Terry. While you're at the bar, I'll have a Doom Bar!    :drink:

You're right, not all my builds are a big project like this one. I try to limit those to once a year. This project is about to get even bigger as more aftermarket is on its way. I just can't stop spending my children's inheritance. They don't need it and I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Hmm...how fast can a red-headed Mr. Bean kipper salesman attack resin? Well, he is the most dangerous man to ever wear a skirt in Europe so maybe pretty fast.     :banghead:

Not quite the most dangerous man in a skirt. Our beloved @general melchett was absolutely terrifying at the last regimental dance when he wore his regimental kilt (nothing on under it naturally) and, following a few pints of Baldrick's Purple Shredded sporran, got carried away dancing the cancan and then had to be carried away by Lady Melchett (fireman's lift). Many of the attendees at the event are still being treated for PTSD. Some of those closest to the General when he waved his kilt in the air and did the splits, are expected never to fully recover.

Martian 👽

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack.

I asked to have a sort of Viking cremation along with my unbuilt stash. It was then pointed out to me that this would not be allowed as it would leave one ginormous smoking crater where Poole had been. I have therefore decided to leave my body to science. The local hospital, The Science Museum, the European Space Agency and NASA can fight over who actually has it.

Indifferent of Mars 👽

PS: The build is looking good.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Martian said:

it would leave one ginormous smoking crater where Poole had been.

Oi! That's a bit too close to Purbeck for my liking, although I would hope the intervening mountain range terminating at Old Harry would offer some protection against the resulting Tsunami from such an event!

You have to think of us poor souls just over the other side of the harbour you know.

Sorry Bill, local topology discussion.

Terry

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Sorry Bill, local topology discussion.

No problem - sometimes the banter is more fun than the modelling. Well, OK, most of the time. Unless Mike has some rule allowing banter to be no more than 98% of the thread or else he'll move it to Chat. Then we'll need to adjust to 97%.

@Martian, add me to the PTSD pile just by having read your account of the General and Lady Melchett. I didn't have to be there.     :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 6

Our beloved @general melchett was absolutely terrifying at the last regimental dance when he wore his regimental kilt (nothing on under it naturally) and, following a few pints of Baldrick's Purple Shredded sporran, got carried away dancing the cancan and then had to be carried away by Lady Melchett (fireman's lift). Many of the attendees at the event are still being treated for PTSD. Some of those closest to the General when he waved his kilt in the air and did the splits, are expected never to fully recover.

Oooh...you fibber, please stick to the facts...you know darn well it was the Pasodoble I was attempting (Darling assures me it's a fast-paced Spanish military march used by infantry troops when dancing to certain death at the front. Its speed allowed troops to perform 120 steps per minute, thus expediting their exit from this veil of tears in a murderous hail of machine-gun fire, in style) not the blasted cancan. 

Sorry Bill, had to clear that one up.  

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

You have to think of us poor souls just over the other side of the harbour you know.

Talking of a certain poor soul on the other side of the harbour, it reminds me that the press gang is out tomorrow afternoon with a certain multi-tentacled coxswain in charge. :whip: Mrs Martian is still waiting for her 5 pence piece to be accepted.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Oooh...you fibber, please stick to the facts...you know darn well it was the Pasodoble I was attempting

We all noticed it was something that you were passing at the double. I was just too tactful to mention that bit. I believe Darling did clear that up, eventually, although the ball room floor has never been quite the same since.

Diplomatic of Mars 👽

PS: My fibromyalgia has been keeping me out of the modelling room today, leaving me with time on my tentacles. You can tell: can't you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ahh two things are for certain( only two?)

!. You tell a Scotsman, but ye canna tell 'im much, and 

2. There is only one thing a scotsman wears under his kilt..... His shoes.

But after reading about the General's terpsichorean escapades  add me to the PTSD list as well.   oh the pain,,,, the pain...:yikes: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Back to modelling...

I present the Matchbox Cabinet of Curiosities for your perusal. First, what I believe were supposed to be engines along with what appears to be an air boat fan. The assembly reminds me of some trick wheels I saw once on one of those custom cars that jump up and down:

IMG_5967

Next, the vertical tail with its strangely shaped apex:

IMG_5968

Note that the top is angled down towards the front. The top should not have any slope, just a nice curvature.

615-1

Easy fix - I have sanding sticks that I stole from wifey! It is kind of an odd mistake for Matchbox to make, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I know there are some serious problems with the rudder, the kit appears to have a mash-up of some of the earlier rudder designs. I might take a stab at fixing it, or I might demur and try to finish the kit before I pass it on to my next of kin.    :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Martian said:

The local hospital, The Science Museum, the European Space Agency and NASA can fight over who actually has it.

Is that who would get it or who would want it?

I'll get cremation then burial at sea. Well, sort of at sea. The missus will most likely just flush my dust down the toilet!

Chris

• Haha 7

On 6/12/2021 at 1:44 AM, dogsbody said:

I'll get cremation then burial at sea. Well, sort of at sea. The missus will most likely just flush my dust down the toilet.

When my father-in-law died he asked that his ashes be scattered in the sea at Whitby.  All well and good on the appointed day the immediate family congregated there for the deed but the weather wasn’t going to play ball: it was bitterly cold, rain was coming down in torrents, even the gulls were wearing life jackets and the beach was travelling sideways at 40 knots under the influence of a gale of near-Biblical proportions.  In May.  We huddled together on the pier and my wife opened the urn and began to pour; unfortunately she’d decided to do so on the windward side of the pier and pretty much everything came back inboard.  I can still hear my teenaged niece’s plaintive wail of “I’m covered in bits of grandad!”  We decided that moving to the other side of the pier was a good plan and father-in-law’s remains were duly despatched (does he now have a split personality?).  

With the deed done we elected to adjourn to the chippy at the foot of the pier and the party duly fled in that direction, led by mother-in-law in her wheelchair at the head, closely followed by yours truly as ballast with the rest of the party following as closely behind as conditions would allow.  As we sat dripping waiting for our fish ‘n’ chips and tea we revckoned that, had the old boy seen it, he’d have been laughing like a drain.

Edited by stever219
Typo
  • Like 8
  • Haha 5