1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

14 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

But if yo need picture let me know nd I'll scan what I have and get them to you.

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I'll be taking you up on that at some point. I sent a note to Ginter Books to see if they have any Privateer books laying around, but I haven't heard back yet.

14 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I substituted clear plastic sheet on mine, filed the window holes a little larger than the window itself, and masked off the windows so they were absolutely flush with the surrounding skin.

Interesting idea. I shall have to experiment!    🧪

13 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I have also attached a link to the Privateer folder of the World War Photos website for your viewing pleasure- hope these help.

Great photos, Mike. Thanks so much!     :)

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Ok to hang around?

Did you bring any beer?     :drink:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

You might try asking the question on http://vpnavy.com/.  Someone there might have the answer.  Pima Air and Space Museum may also know.

Thanks, I've not seen that forum before. I'll see if I can get myself registered.    :)

2 hours ago, perdu said:

There's Ghost Ship and Doom Bar Bill, I knew you'd want some.

Can I have both? You know, to celebrate. Something. Anything.     :drunk:

36 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Handsome Naval aeroplane gets Navy-Birded = excellent morning-coffee reading this side of the pond.  Nicely balanced equation that :D

Equations? Let's not bring math into it. It's hard enough to explain to grown-ups why we still stick two pieces of plastic together.    🤓

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I'm going with Interior Green because the Eduard pre-painted photoetch instrument panel (yes, for a B-24) is already that colour. Except for the dials, they're black. Oh, and the needles and numbers - they're white. And the switches, they're silver. Uh, and some dangerous thingies - they're red.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

I hadn't realised until seeing this thread and the pics that the engine intake arrangement was rotated 90° from the Liberator! I'll be following this one for sure!

Ian

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shalako said:

I wish I could afford to buy one of these aftermarket sets for my Privateer but, unfortunately, those that I have seen from time to time on Ebay are quite expensive ($70+)

At least, when the aircraft was parked the bomb bay doors were closed. That's a relief.

I can tell you that this particular at the moment is rereleased by Lonestar models but it will set you back at least over 100 dollar..last time I checked it was 115 dollar I believe....

The lonestar models website is closed down for the moment until he is catches up with his orders...

Love to see how this kit comes together, I have the same conversion in the stash ...

cheers, Jan

Just now, janneman36 said:

I can tell you that this particular at the moment is rereleased by Lonestar models but it will set you back at least over 100 dollar..last time I checked it was 115 dollar I believe....

The lonestar models website is closed down for the moment until he is catches up with his orders...

Love to see how this kit comes together, I have the same conversion in the stash ...

cheers, Jan

Hi Jan,

For a re-release of a resin set that is quite old and therefore weathered, I don't think that the $100+ is the right price. Imagine someone who doesn't leave in the US  and if he bought the set, will also have to pay the shipping and most probably, some customs and VAT fees. He could end up paying $200+ as the final expense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Hi Jan,

For a re-release of a resin set that is quite old and therefore weathered, I don't think that the $100+ is the right price. Imagine someone who doesn't leave in the US  and if he bought the set, will also have to pay the shipping and most probably, some customs and VAT fees. He could end up paying $200+ as the final expense.

You are right...I actually checked it a few times as I was thinking that my eyesight deteriorated🤪

cheers, Jan

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Imagine someone who doesn't leave in the US  and if he bought the set, will also have to pay the shipping and most probably, some customs and VAT fees. He could end up paying $200+ as the final expense.

He has announced that he will not longer be selling direct to the UK or UE because he doesn't want to deal with VAT collection, so that won't be an issue. He will be selling stuff on Ebay since they take care of the VAT for him.

Great choice Bill and that resin set is the bee`s knee`s,..... just what the kit needs to take it to another level,...... I cannot wait to see you apply your magic to them both mate.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Since I already have the resin set, all I want from Lone Star Models is that decal sheet he announced with the Privateer nose art. I'm a sucker for a pin-up on a warbird.    :)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/lone-star-models-tbd-pirate-princess-and-friends-pb4y-2-privateer--1266652

Unfortunately, the new terms and conditions (which you can see on his website) show a minimum order of $50.00 USD. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make my own.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Caracal Decals said they would be doing a decal sheet. Looking forward to see the Navy Bird magic on the Privateer.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

Wow Bill, what a selection of resin, looks nice enough to eat. Oooopps, that's the popcorn. I'm in in do like navy patrol bombers.

Colin

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shalako said:

Hi Jan,

Set up a Shop and Ship account (Aramex). They will also take care of the VAT for him, as will any shipper. I'm not sure where they all got this idea of having to register for VAT as the govnt site clearly states that a 3rd party shipper can be used instead, as has always been the case!

Ian

17 hours ago, hsr said:

He has announced that he will not longer be selling direct to the UK or UE because he doesn't want to deal with VAT collection, so that won't be an issue. He will be selling stuff on Ebay since they take care of the VAT for him.

Ebay might take care of VAT for him but not for the buyer. The buyer will still have to pay VAT and customs fees from a certain amount and upwards. But, like I said in the first place mate, the price he asks for this particular set is not objective.

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Set up a Shop and Ship account (Aramex). They will also take care of the VAT for him, as will any shipper. I'm not sure where they all got this idea of having to register for VAT as the govnt site clearly states that a 3rd party shipper can be used instead, as has always been the case!

Ian

I hear what you say mate but, at least for me the price of the product, and especially since I know it's history, meaning that it is not something new but, a quite old mould, is not realistic.

1 minute ago, Graham Boak said:

If the seller has paid VAT there is no requirement for it to be paid by the buyer.  The UK has no customs fees for hobby goods.  

Are you certain? Even after Brexit?

I am absolutely certain that VAT is only paid once, and that there has never been customs fees/tariffs on models.  There have been charges made to cover the cost of collecting/paying the VAT, but with no VAT to collect these disappear.  Brexit may well be to blame for many things. but not this one.

• Like 1

Anyone who has any photos of the flight deck, interior around the forward top turret behind the flight deck, interior in the nose and ball turret section - please feel free to post here, or if they are copyright please post a link. I found a few on-line (still searching) but I will need many more. At this point, I have no idea if the Cobra resin is accurate or not, although the cockpit floor, seats, and IP look pretty close to the photo I have.

I found a hobby shop here in the States that had a copy of the Ginter Privateer book in stock ($35) so I placed an order for it yesterday. Since that was Saturday, I have not yet received an order confirmation. I wouldn't be surprised if they came back and said "just kidding we really don't have it in stock" but we'll see. I sent a message through Amazon to the third party seller who offered the book at nearly $500 and he responded right away saying that it was an obvious typo and they would edit the listing. Nothing yet.

I've been removing the resin bits from their casting blocks just to pass the time. The resin is somewhat soft, almost flexible - the only other time I've seen this is with the parts sold by Starfighter Decals. Very different from what I'm used to with Aires, Quickboost, or CMK.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Beer...

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 4:26 PM, Graham Boak said:

I am absolutely certain that VAT is only paid once, and that there has never been customs fees/tariffs on models.  There have been charges made to cover the cost of collecting/paying the VAT, but with no VAT to collect these disappear.  Brexit may well be to blame for many things. but not this one.

VAT has always (since 1st April 1973) been due on goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU unless those goods are specifically zero rated or exempted from the tax (see Schedules 8 and 9 to the VAT Act 1994 as amended respectively).  A de minimis limit, below which value the tax has historically been deemed uneconomical to collect, has also been applied.  The Customs Duty rate has, for most, if not all, models is presently zero.  However tools and materials may attract duty, depending on how the shipper has described them (I haven’t read the Tarriff this week, nor for several weeks prior).

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1