1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

My grandson received some VR headset doodad (Oculus maybe?) as a gift. I'm afraid he may lose interest in my airbrush.

Some of my kids (and I don't mean the grandchildren) actually have "meets" on Oculus. We are talking about adults in their 30's. I tried it once, and my daughter (she is just 40 and still can outsmart her many siblings, all brothers) suggested the first thing I should try was the roller coaster module, but she said, with such sincerity, "do it standing dad, you don't need to sit, I promise you won't lose balance". Of course, being a wise old thing, I ignored her advice and sat firmly in a chair with my ankles locked around the front legs. It was an amazing experience, and being a wise old thing, I did not fall over!

She forgets her dad is both

a) smart and

b) very smart!

Terry

• Like 4

On 26/10/2021 at 13:56, giemme said:

You're not too bad at weathering aircraft, Bill - you should do that more often....

One of these days I'm going to try all natural weathering - just leave the model outside for a few years. After the rain, snow, hail, and squirrels are done, it should look great.     :)

On 26/10/2021 at 14:02, Terry1954 said:

It was an amazing experience, and being a wise old thing, I did not fall over!

I tried my son-in-law's VR set-up and I have to admit it was indeed amazing. One program had me floating through space on a tour of the solar system. Immersion doesn't begin to describe it, the views were amazing. The other was some King Arthur storm the castle thing, and I got to be an archer picking off the silly sods trying to scale the wall. I must have looked like an idiot to other people in the room.    :banghead:

OK, the stickers are on (not that there are many of them).

IMG_6126

The White Dog decal sheet was kinda old (I think) and each decal needed several minutes in the water to separate from the paper backing. The nose art is three decals - the first was a white silhouette background, the second the interior red of the letters, and the third was the dwarfs and the gun. That last one was made by Archer Fine Transfers with some "Photo-Flex" process that I've never heard of. Since I only had one chance to not screw it up, I made a high resolution scan of it first so I could print out a spare if necessary. But it went on with no problems.

I'm going to poke around and see if I have any remaining B-24 or PB4Y-1 stencils, etc. as I think she could use some more.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

...to get those rear fuselage flanks that seamless takes some doing!

Just a lot of elbow grease and a kilo of putty.    :)

2 hours ago, phildagreek said:

That looks very smart!

Unlike its builder...     :drunk:   That said, I think she's looking better than I expected. Maybe I can salvage this kit after all.

Hopefully I'll get some flat varnish on today so I can get the masking off the windows. I don't like leaving it on so long. Since I'll be sitting in the sunshine all next week (sipping a piña colada and incubating some melanoma) I really want to get that done before I leave. And I've got that promiscuous feline to finish up for the group build. Ugh, I need more time!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Great job on the Privateer, Bill! Mine is still in the store room, no doubt issuing forth another generation of spiders who by now probably think of it as the mothership.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 3

Bill,

I have added a link to a 1/48 build, using the Koster conversion; wrong scale, to be sure, but I thought the builder did a very nice job on the weathered paint. I had saved it for a reference to refer to when/if I ever get the nerve up to dig into my Cobra conversion and Matchbox kit. Looking forward to seeing yours finished! Such a beautiful airplane that was the scourge of Japanese shipping and even aircraft!

Mike

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/pb4y2mc_1.htm

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Carter is building more models than me...his latest is the space shuttle. The kit was a bribe to get him on Space Mountain at Disney last week.

Carter3

This was some no-name, pre-painted kit that snapped and screwed together. It came with its own screwdriver, presumably to help fix the optics in the Hubble space telescope that is about to be popped out of the equipment bay into orbit. I asked Carter if he knew what that was and he replied "a satellite" which I was surprised he knew about. I then asked him what is a satellite and he said "where we get internet from." Five-year olds, I don't know...   :)

Painting up the R-2800s on the Privateer now.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. He loved Space Mountain. I told him if he kept riding it he'd end up with a bad back like me. He got back in line instead.    :banghead:

• Like 9

Some detail painting on the loud smelly things:

IMG_6128

IMG_6127

Little by little...I think we need to get some tyres on this puppy pretty soon. Lots of other picayune stuff to do as well.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I dunno Bill the "low rider look" looks good. Just need the little dog to put in the rear turret with head that goes up and down to set it off right. Maybe a string of little  fuzzy turquoise balls around the windshield.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

I dunno Bill the "low rider look" looks good.

Maybe I can make her jump up and down at a traffic light.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 3

Hi NavyBird/Bill,

I've been watching your build here and am really impressed with it.  I have the KOSTER Conversion and the donor B-24 kit so I'm watching some of your ideas and trouble areas closely.

I know my kit is in 48scale but your build does show a lot of similarities that it's going to help.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Screech said:

Hi NavyBird/Bill,

I've been watching your build here and am really impressed with it.  I have the KOSTER Conversion and the donor B-24 kit so I'm watching some of your ideas and trouble areas closely.

I know my kit is in 48scale but your build does show a lot of similarities that it's going to help.

Be prepared for some work with the Koster conversion. This will give you an idea of what to expect.

This was a restoration of the original build done a long time ago. I hope the vac plastic is in better shape than mine was.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Painting up the R-2800s on the Privateer now.

You must be getting tired from all that sanding and masking, Bill- those are R-1830's. Bet the guys in the VPB squadrons would have loved R-2800's in their Privateers!

Mike

Keep going- she's looking very, very good!

• Haha 3