1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. I hate showing pictures at this stage, as it looks so bad. It will get better - I promise!     :)

Yep.  Looks awful in all of it’s flawless surfacedness and beautifully smooth consistent paintedness.  Dunno how you could inflict it on us Bill. :D

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

there is a long way to go to "post-shade and fade" this baby.

Very much looking forward to a step by step account of the baby growing up and growing old and decrepit.

• Haha 7

On 9/5/2021 at 2:38 PM, Navy Bird said:

What I see happening is that the wings, due to the large moment arm they represent, are flexing the sides of the fuselage

I feel your pain, Bill. Eons ago I took an Airfix B-24J and grafted the nose of a Revell B-24D onto it to make a B-24D Ploesti Raider, Teggie Ann. Thought I would be clever, and cut off the bomb bay doors and detailed the bomb bay area; with the nose weight needed to keep it on its undercart, and with absolutely no strength in the fuselage with that huge area cut out, as well as that beautiful long Davis wing, the upper fuselage seam kept opening, and I never could fix it- binned the build when it was painted and ready for the small bits and decals...broke my heart., but I learned  my lesson!

Mike

She's looking great, so far- like the others, I can't wait to see her in  all her faded. patchy, exhaust stained glory! Those Privateers were all rode hard and put up wet, as we say here in the Lone Star State, and that abrasive coral dust and blazing sun was not kind to airplanes that sat outside all the time and never saw a hangar.

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Beginning the splotcherating of the underside.

IMG_6122

My photo lights have diminished the effect somewhat; damn diffusion anyway. It's more noticeable to the naked eye, so I don't want to overdo it. Exhaust stains, oil drips, and paint chips will come later (I suppose). The blues on top will be faded with various shades of blue-grey and it will be interesting to see how badly I muck it up. Stickers will go on at some point. Once I've satisfied with the amount of damage I've done, then there will be a flat varnish followed by more damage inflicted by pastel chalks. And maybe another coat of flat varnish to make sure the pastel dust stays in place.

To be honest, I prefer painting nice shiny display schemes.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 23
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Darn it, Bill, I wish you wouldn't use such high-falutin' language! We're just mere mortals down here below modelling Olympus where you and your models reside.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. I have one of these Privateers mouldering in my garage - I suppose some day I'll have the nerve to bring it back inside (sorry spiders - you have to find a new home now) and start working on it again.

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Splotchification surely? :whistle:  Must be the GBS “separated by a common language” thing.  

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

To be honest, I prefer painting nice shiny display schemes.

I don’t believe you Bill :D

S’all coming on very very nicely.  Never any hint of disturbance with a Navy Bird build.  Serene under the surface as well on top (c.f. the well known swan/duck analogy)…

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I do believe, according to the OED*, that the accepted British usage is indeed 'splotchification', although in Australia it is referred to as 'the splotchies', and in Canada as both 'splotcherating' and 'splotchification', depending on the time of day and the ambient humidity.

Best Regards,

Jason

*Oxford English Dictionary

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

23 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It must have been new once…

Tis true. But then I'd have to paint it natural aluminium and build a Consolidated Aircraft factory diorama...      :banghead:

23 hours ago, Learstang said:

Darn it, Bill, I wish you wouldn't use such high-falutin' language! We're just mere mortals down here below modelling Olympus where you and your models reside.

<snip>

P.S. I have one of these Privateers mouldering in my garage - I suppose some day I'll have the nerve to bring it back inside (sorry spiders - you have to find a new home now) and start working on it again.

Olympus? No, I'm afraid it's more like Hades - and Charon ferried me across the Styx to commence rolling that damn stone uphill!

(At least, that's what building this kit feels like - one of those eternal punishments you can never finish...) Which, by the way, is why you should leave your Privateer to the spiders. They will probably enjoy it. Or eat it.   :)

14 hours ago, Fritag said:

Splotchification surely? :whistle:  Must be the GBS “separated by a common language” thing. 

Well, spotchification is a noun and splotcherating is a verb. All part of the same word family (related words that are formed from the same root word). For example there are inflected forms with inflectional affixes and derived forms with derivational affixes. The core word and derived forms support the same core meaning, but derivational suffixes usually change the word class and the meaning. Bueno? The top level of the word family is called a lexeme. (I'm not this smart, I had to look all this crap up.)   :drunk:

And really, I do prefer display and anniversary schemes. At least I have lately...maybe it's a male menopause thing.    :doh:

No progress today - had to change the kitchen sink spigot (=faucet). What a bloody pain. Remind me to buy bottled water.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Learstang said:

...and in Canada as both 'splotcherating' and 'splotchification', depending on the time of day and the ambient humidity.

And whether you're in Ontario or Quebec.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I do believe, according to the OED*, that the accepted British usage is indeed 'splotchification', although in Australia it is referred to as 'the splotchies', and in Canada as both 'splotcherating' and 'splotchification', depending on the time of day and the ambient humidity.

Best Regards,

Jason

*Oxford English Dictionary

And if the Molson are running.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

No progress today - had to change the kitchen sink spigot (=faucet). 

Cheers,

Bill

Or as us old eastcoast Bluenosers call it: the tap.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We're not there yet, but the splotchification quotient is increasing.

IMG_6125

IMG_6124

This may be sufficient as a base for later pastel work once the stickers and matte varnish are applied. Maybe. Perhaps. Possibly. What the heck do I know?   :drunk:

The areas where a new application of Sea Blue are apparent follow the general guidelines in the decal instruction sheet. The photos I have are somewhat difficult to interpret, but I can always claim artistic dementia and then it won't matter anyway.

I don't know 'bout youse guys, but I'm a bit anxious to get this thing off my workbench! Unfortunately I will lose all of next week as I continue to work down my kids' inheritance by journeying south for holiday.  🍹  🌴  🍹  🌴  🍹  🌴  🍹

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 28
  • Haha 1

Those blues look great Bill. She's going to look so purposeful when done.

15 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

as I continue to work down my kids' inheritance by journeying south for holiday.

Snap! That so made me laugh, but my kids don't see the funny side of that sort of thing!

Terry

• Like 1

Well, Bill, as they say in New South Wales 'Those splotchies are looking great there, Mate!'. Or in Montreal, 'Tres bien, les splotchifications!'.*

Best Regards,

Jason

*All right, all right! I promise my next post will be semi-serious. Maybe...

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

We're not there yet, but the splotchification quotient is increasing.

Ha.  ‘Splochification’ :whistle:  No doubt it’s because it’s used as a noun? :D (would not the verb be splochificatering? :hmmm:)

Sorry.  Being boring. Note to self - let that one go; yesterday’s absurd pedantic digression belongs in the past…..

Nicely judged Bill.  Obvs.  What else would it be with a @Navy Bird build?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Snap! That so made me laugh, but my kids don't see the funny side of that sort of thing!

Luckily, my kids are on target to make way more money than I ever did, so I don't worry too much about their inheritance. Besides, when I'm gone they can sell my stash - that ought to get them some extra beer money.    :)

14 hours ago, Learstang said:

*All right, all right! I promise my next post will be semi-serious. Maybe...

No, please! We aim to keep all comments frivolous in my threads - it's the only way to secure the remaining tendrils of my sanity.    :drunk:

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

Ha.  ‘Splochification’ :whistle:  No doubt it’s because it’s used as a noun? :D (would not the verb be splochificatering? :hmmm:)

Hmm...I believe that splochificatering refers to the provisioning of splotches as an appetizer at a grand gathering of the Wizened Wizards of Weathering. And you thought "www" stood for some Internet thing...    :banghead:

OK, that's out of the way. My grandson received some VR headset doodad (Oculus maybe?) as a gift. I'm afraid he may lose interest in my airbrush. I hope not, but one never knows. So far so good, but I've seen how the kids like their electronics (almost as much as the Romans liked their knucklebones).    :(

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 4

Those colours are wonderful! And nicely painted on, great look..! :) Just listened to Warbirds - Tales from Above podcast and the Privateer was mention in some episode.. Really cool aircraft, nice to see it getting built!

• Thanks 1