1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

22 hours ago, Martian said:

It's still cheaper for me come and collect my kits in person though.

Can't you teleport? Today, when I went over to my daughter's house, my grandson Carter didn't see me arrive. When he finally saw me he exclaimed "Did you teleport here??" True story.     :drunk:

7 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Loving your work, Bill - but surely you must be tempted to convert one of the HobbyBoss 1/32nd B-24s to a PB4Y-2..? :winkgrin:

Uh, no. This one is big enough for me. I saw the size of the box for that kit and it scared me. Keep up the good work on that Sutherland, though, as I want to see the addition you need to add onto your home to house the thing.    :banghead:

47 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

B-36 = a million plus rivets flying in formation--1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer enhanced with a gallon of putty = AMAZING--🙌 

Actually, it's less that half a pint of putty so far. But we're not finished yet - I primed all those spots today and I still have some work to do. Ugh. More mojo deflation.    :(

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Actually, it's less that half a pint of putty so far. But we're not finished yet - I primed all those spots today and I still have some work to do. Ugh. More mojo deflation.    :(

Cheers,

Bill

Forward into the fog Bill. Dang the martinis and full speed ahead. At a half pint of putty you're doing better than I did. I had some pieces that just didn't want to level out. Besides there is something to be said about sitting around and watching putty dry. Builds Character. Or so they say. Your build will be outstanding when its finished, so keep the faith.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Can't you teleport? Today, when I went over to my daughter's house, my grandson Carter didn't see me arrive. When he finally saw me he exclaimed "Did you teleport here??" True story.     :drunk:

This is of course possible but the cost of the equipment far outweighs the savings on postage. The reason for this is that the Time Lords of Gallifrey have a monopoly on Tardis and all other time and space travel related gear. I personally think it is part of a cunning plan to get twenty four months building time for their models between the annual Scalemodel World shows at Telford. We know they attend because K9 tried to do unspeakable things to my leg one year!

Martian 👽

• Haha 9

On 03/09/2021 at 19:43, LorenSharp said:

Besides there is something to be said about sitting around and watching putty dry. Builds Character.

That must be why wifey says I'm such a character...     :coat:   🚪

On 03/09/2021 at 22:50, Martian said:

We know they attend because K9 tried to do unspeakable things to my leg one year!

Oh dear...I thought a certain General's skid mark was bad.    :drunk:

So, just in case anyone wondered what she looks like with all that nasty red stuff covered up:

IMG_6042

The Privateer is not yet ready for her camouflage paint. There still are quite a few areas that need to be fixed, cleaned up, or further changed to meet my incredibly high standards of perfection. Ha! What really remains are fixes for my silly mistakes....     :banghead:

Now, for anyone who wants to build this kit in the future - don't! Just kidding - one tip I can give is to reinforce the fuselage in the bomb bay area. I kick myself for not adding extra interior support in this area. What I see happening is that the wings, due to the large moment arm they represent, are flexing the sides of the fuselage. This changes the dihedral of the wings (slightly) but also puts extra strain on the top fuselage seam. This popped on me and I had to reinforce it with a lot of superglue and then reapply the putty, etc. I think this has happened to others who unwisely chose to build this kit. You may recall I built the old Revell PB4Y-1 (1965 vintage) and its plastic was thicker and more rigid than this one. Consequently, I didn't have the problem with the older kit. Lesson learned.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 27

On 5/7/2021 at 8:10 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

do yourself the favor of strengthening the upper and lower fuselage halves with plastic shim, just in case there's some brute force involved. 

This is beautiful!  Regarding the fuselage weaknesses, I refer back to my May 7 post, above.  Of course, you've overcome a huge amount of trouble with this project, and it will definitely eclipse whatever I did 22 years ago.

Yeah, I took the opposite tack and modified the wings so there was no "brute force" required to insert them into the fuselage pockets. They slipped right in. I never even thought about the fuselage sides flexing, even though it is just a tiny bit, due to the weight of the wings. I don't think it's the plastic per se, it's just that the walls are too thin for the load. This is the Revell version of this kit, moulded in Poland, and has the same flavour of plastic that all their Polish kits seem to have.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a huge problem - just something I wish I had reinforced with a brass or styrene spreader from one side of the fuselage to the other. I had to add two of those to my recent Hornet build.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. The other thing that weakens the fuselage sides are those huge holes for the waist turret panels...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

No pressure.

What, me worry? - Alfred E. Neuman, c. 1966

So, I've been thinking about starting a polystyrene recycling facility. In case you were wondering, here are the parts (so far) that I'm NOT using for this build:

IMG_6047

There are more than a few Cobra resin bits in there as well. I actually save all this stuff and I have no idea why. The leftovers from each kit are in their own plastic bag which is labelled and then thrown in a big box never to see the light of day again. Although those resin engines might come in handy someday - if I can remember that I own them.     :banghead:

Meanwhile, back at the build...I had to remove the vacuform canopy and re-attach. Somehow I positioned it incorrectly and I had a huge step on top. She's looking much better now, but there still needs to be a wee bit of putty work. I also noticed that the trailing edge of the wings and elevators do not align as well as they should (not sure how I missed that when gluing - probably paying more attention to the leading edges). Some work will be needed there.

Slowly...towards something. Maybe one day I can paint this thing blue.     :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 17

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Dang! There's enough extra plastic there to make a 1/72 Spitfire or a P-40, plus resin for some aftermarket details.

Interesting thought. The extra styrene parts (above) weigh 91g. The KP 1:72 Spitfire VB weighs 36g. So, almost three Spitfires.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Interesting thought. The extra styrene parts (above) weigh 91g. The KP 1:72 Spitfire VB weighs 36g. So, almost three Spitfires.   :)

They famously recycled pots and pans (or at least said they were going to) into Spitfires in WW2….Over to you Bill :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, perdu said:

Bill do try to avoid silly beggars beguiling you to mess with more blinking Spitfires.

Tsssk as if there aren't already enough Spitsfires already.

Why not turn all those bits into a Vogon Constructor Fleet ship? Look, heres some plans for you as well:

Vogon-Fleet.png

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

15 hours ago, Fritag said:

They famously recycled pots and pans (or at least said they were going to) into Spitfires in WW2….Over to you Bill :D

I thought it was garden gates? Google "Mr. Churchill Says" by the Kinks.

"Mr. Beaverbrook says we gotta save our tin
All the garden gates and empty cans are gonna make us win"

11 hours ago, perdu said:

Bill do try to avoid silly beggars beguiling you to mess with more blinking Spitfires.

As a Yank who posts on Britmodeller, I am obliged to say that you can never have enough Spitfires.    :)

11 hours ago, Martian said:

Why not turn all those bits into a Vogon Constructor Fleet ship? Look, heres some plans for you as well:

My grandson made one of those out of Legos...beyond my skill level.     :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 11

All right, the underside is white. But, of course, this has uncovered a couple of minor fubars that I need to fix. It's never-ending.     :drunk:

The good news is that my fellow Britmodellers have provided a few photos of Ol' Blunderbuss, so I have some idea of what she looks like. Importantly, I can see clear demarcation lines between the Sea Blue, Intermediate Blue, and White, at least when these photos were taken. The entire aircraft is not visible, so I will rely on the drawings that accompany the White Dog decal sheet for the rest.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

Good news: I have some additional resources for Ol' Blunderbuss that will help considerably with the painting of the model.

The "other" news (it's not bad news): I forgot that I signed up for the F-14 Group Build. I'll be building the 1:72 Fine Molds F-14D in the VF-31 "Anytime Baby" Commemorative Scheme seen at the Tomcat retirement ceremony. Because Felix rules! This will mean that I have three builds going simultaneously - and I have a tough enough time with just one! Unfortunately, this will make progress updates slower than usual. Sorry about that!     :sorry:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. It's Autumn! And that can mean only one thing - wifey has trips planned with the grandkids to Disney. This time we'll be there on October 31 for the special Halloween party. Gee, I wonder how big of a super-spreader event that will be?     🐞

PPS. Just got back from Delaware where my son competed in a triathlon. He placed #21 out of 319 entrants, and #4 in his age group (he's 39). God bless him. Now, where's my beer? And give me some of those chicken wings.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

PPS. Just got back from Delaware where my son competed in a triathlon. He placed #21 out of 319 entrants, and #4 in his age group (he's 39). God bless him. Now, where's my beer? And give me some of those chicken wings.

I see absurd levels of excellence are a family tradition. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I see absurd levels of excellence are a family tradition. 

Yup, we make some pretty good chicken wings.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Seriously, he didn't get the athletic thing from my side of the family. But my wife's Dad was all-state (in several sports) when he was in high school, so I'm guessing an errant gene or two snuck through that pipeline.

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I haven't forgotten this one. The basic colours are on, but there is a long way to go to "post-shade and fade" this baby.

IMG_6120

IMG_6121

I was able to view a colour photograph of Ol' Blunderbuss that is in a private collection, and the amount of fading and weathering is considerable. Basically the aircraft looks to be covered in a myriad of different shades of gray, with a few patches of freshly applied paint. However, I would be surprised if this old photo/print/scan is entirely accurate in its colour rendition. So, I'll do my best to make her look like she's been through the wringer, but I'm sure she will still have the blues.     :guitar:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I hate showing pictures at this stage, as it looks so bad. It will get better - I promise!     :)

• Like 29