1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

23 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Bill, I do believe it's starting to look like a Privateer.

I wonder if the real Privateers were held together with tape...      :drunk:

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Two fins and rudders weigh twice as much?

I thought about that. The horizontal tailplanes/elevators are about the same on each, and the vertical fin on the Privateer is almost twice as big as that on the Liberator. I just can't see where the extra 40g is required. Maybe the PB4Y-1 plastic was thicker or more dense...    :banghead:

Although the PB4Y-1 interior, especially in the waist turret area, was highly detailed. I scratchbuilt all that stuff. I even added the relief tube. That might be it - all that stuff towards the back is farther out on the moment arm. The added weight was much closer to the fulcrum of the lever. The math might work...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Hi Bill,

It does look like quite a job :D I think building the basic kit OOB would have been tough enough for most, and I don't think you've been best served by the quality of the aftermarket (which is as nice a way as I can think of putting it). That notwithstanding you've done a superb job so far, stick at it and I'm sure the end result will justify your efforts :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

OK, some 4x2 progress...

Matchbox was using their averted imagination when they tooled the vertical fin. The actual Privateer had a "normal" bilaterally symmetric curve at the top of the fin, but have a look at what's in the kit.

IMG_6025

Not a big error, but the curve is noticeably higher towards the rear. Easy to fix with a few swipes of the sanding stick.

IMG_6026

You'll no doubt have noticed that the fuselage halves are together. I've added the weight up front to prevent a tail sitter, but just in case some liquid gravity can always be added through the forward top turret. The seam where the fin attached to the fuselage needed a small bit of filler.

IMG_6028

I spent a LOT of time getting the wings to fully engage the cut-out areas of the fuselage. They really need to go in all the way not only for proper glue adhesion, but also to set the proper dihedral. Sand, sand, sand. I added the aft end of the fuselage (rear turret support) and filled those seams prior to adding the wings and tailplanes. Much easier access for my fat fingers. I test fit the tailplanes, and they look good. They have slightly more dihedral than the wings, and Matchbox seems to have gotten this right.

Speaking of wings, I was all set to glue them onto the fuselage when I realised that it would be easier to add the resin nacelles prior to doing so. Much easier to handle that way, and less likely to drop the model. (With all the weight in the fuselage, I cringe to think about what would happen if she made an uncontrolled landing.) Sometimes I actually have a good idea! Like joining Britmodeller instead of ARC...

Removing the nacelles and one of the High Planes engine/cowlings from their casting blocks was a bit of a chore. Both need to end up with engagement surfaces that are flat (or concave I suppose). I usually get my flat surfaces by sanding against a piece of sandpaper that is taped to a bit of window glass. For some reason this wasn't cooperating, at least not easily. I guess I should buy one of those newfangled desktop milling machines. @CedB probably already has one.    :)

The first nacelle I worked on was for the outer engine on the starboard side. Needless to say, remember I've not been too crazy about this Cobra resin set, the fit looks like it "could be better."

IMG_6029

I think some more rounds of "sand, sand, sand" will get me closer. The Cobra nacelles are also slightly too wide where they mate the upper surface of the wing. Spot Putty Sculpting, my new favourite sport, is on the horizon!    :drunk:

Interestingly, a quick test-fit of the other resin nacelles show a much better fit. Not perfect, and still too wide, but better. I thought about using the kit nacelles but none of them include the exhausts (I wonder where Matchbox expected the noxious fumes to go?) and the outboard nacelles have the completely wrong shape at the aft end.

IMG_6027

Note how the kit nacelles are even open at the back - I found exactly ONE photo that appeared to show this - probably because the covers at the back had been removed for maintenance perhaps. No doubt this is the one photo that Matchbox had. What are the chances?     :banghead:

Anyway, the more I sand the less mojo I have. Hence the previous slog comment. But I usually persevere eventually. Don't be surprised if I start another kit and work on that for a bit while this one gathers some dust. What it needs is some pixie dust, so there you go.    🧚‍♂️

Cheers,

Bill

PS. That Fine Molds F-4EJ with the fancy anniversary markings is staring at me, but so is the Fujimi FG.1 A&AEE Raspberry Ripple babe and that new Dream Model AH-1Z Viper. Decisions, decisions...I haven't built a hoppity-copter in oh, I don't know, a quarter of a century?

PPS. Recovery continues - things are getting much better. Wifey is getting tired of having to crawl around on the floor looking for bits on the carpet monster though...at least I can use my grabber to get the big ones!    :)

• Like 27

36 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Sometimes I actually have a good idea! Like joining Britmodeller instead of ARC...

Well, we are all certainly glad you did that!

I have yet to succumb to any of the Fine Molds F-4's, but it's only a matter of time. I have some of their WWII Japanese aircraft that I purchased on my trip to Japan in 2019, and that superb F-14 I bought when I was with Ced and you guys at the Frome Model shop later that same year. I do love Fine Molds stuff!

Great also that your recovery is continuing in the right direction Bill.

Oh, and before I forget, the Privateer is coming along just splendidly!

Take care

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My worry when I see fit issues like that is "where is the error"?

ie: is the nacelle the correct height and you could add a piece of plastic card to the top mating surface of the nacelle to lower it, bringing the upper edge level and reducing the width error, or is the nacelle too tall and it requires sanding down to the correct height?

Either way I'm sure you'll sort it out nicely!

Ian

• Like 1

On 12/08/2021 at 17:25, Terry1954 said:

I have yet to succumb to any of the Fine Molds F-4's, but it's only a matter of time.

They sure do look purty in the box.     :)

On 13/08/2021 at 08:10, AdrianMF said:

If it's any consolation I think I used about the same amount of filler round the kit inserts for the side turrets...

Commiseration can be a wonderful thing. But if you used that much for the kit inserts then I can't blame it all on Cobra, which is the theme of this build.   😬

On 13/08/2021 at 09:06, darthspud said:

Big blighter innit?

Bigger blighter methinks...     :banghead:

I think I'm finally happy with the removal of the casting blocks and sanding of a flat surface on the nacelles and engines cowlings. These are the cowlings from HPM, and they each had a big casting block like the nacelles from Cobra. If you look in the beginning of this thread you can see what the nacelle casting blocks looked like. Ugh.

IMG_6030

The only nacelle with a really bad fit was the first one I tried. The others are reasonable. Blending the top of the nacelle into the corresponding portion on the top of the wing will bring out the sculptor in me. And I only passed my sculpting exam by claiming all my blobs were modern art and represented man's inhumanity to man. I thought that was pretty clever, especially when one of my pieces was an unopened package of clay.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I thought that was pretty clever, especially when one of my pieces was an unopened package of clay.

Cheers,

Bill

That would been Man's attempt to pigeon hole himself into a restrictive societal reality of his own making. and it that makes any sense, you definitely need to get out more.:fool:

• Haha 6

Great catchup for me Bill after a bit of a break.

Pleased to hear you're recovering well and back at the bench producing your usual high standard of work :) 

14 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Man's attempt to pigeon hole himself into a restrictive societal reality of his own making

Spinoza thought that fears and petty passions will vanish once our understanding of reality and the harmonious structure of the universe is deep enough-or something like that. But he never built this Matchbox kit with all that Cobra resin, so what does he know? Harmonious indeed.    :drunk:

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Great catchup for me Bill after a bit of a break.

Pleased to hear you're recovering well and back at the bench producing your usual high standard of work :) 

Thanks Ced. My build time for this project will end up longer than your break, I suspect. Next time I need to pick a kit with fewer parts and that fits together.    :banghead:

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Yes, to echo others, great to hear your making progress Bill, keep at it. As for Gators Grip, (my staple since it’s inception) I find AMMO MIG’s stuff equally good and easy to come by...just a thought.

That would be the Ultra Glue? I'll keep that in mind. First, though, I have to use up two and a half bottles of Gators Grip. That's a lot of photoetch bits and/or repairs to the ceramic flamingos and gnomes in my garden...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Did five miles on my recumbent exercise bike today. I now have two grabbers - in case I drop one I can pick it up with the other. Progress! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

This is really growing on me; to the point that I may have to track one of these kits down. I will definitely be giving that Cobra set a miss though. White styrene for me.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

On 15/08/2021 at 13:27, Martian said:

This is really growing on me

So can a Martian Fire Flower Fungus, but that doesn't mean you want one!    😬

Seriously, she's a Putty Queen if I ever saw one. But a lot of that has to do with the Cobra resin. The Matchbox parts fit together reasonably well, they just lack detail and a bit of accuracy. The Cobra stuff (and the HPM cowlings) will help a bit, but I think a new tool Privateer in the one true scale is long overdue. Long overdue.

The nacelles have been glued to the wings, and the tedious job of filling, fairing, and sanding is underway. Give me a week or three.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 13

On 8/14/2021 at 6:35 PM, Navy Bird said:

I thought that was pretty clever, especially when one of my pieces was an unopened package of clay.

So that's what Mach 1 used to make the master for their Martin Seamaster! The kit and your recovery seem to both be coming along nicely, Bill! :giggle:

Mike

• Like 2

The wings are about ready to attach to the fuselage. I could have done this earlier, but I thought it would be easier to do the putty work on the nacelles first. Although it looks like I used more than a bit of putty, it wasn't too bad and the sanding/blending didn't take too long. It will be interesting to see how she looks with some paint.

My first attempt at gluing a cowling onto a nacelle was not successful. The superglue bit too soon, before I had a chance to align properly. It ended up looking catawampus. I pried it off and re-sanded the surfaces. I needed a glue that works on resin but doesn't set up quickly. My five-minute epoxy is too thick so I needed something else. I decided to make a test, gluing two bits of the resin casting block together using Gators Grip Thin Blend. Surprisingly, the resulting bond was stronger than I thought - it took a bit to separate the two pieces. So, that's what I did - all four engine and cowling parts were glued onto their nacelles with what is essentially a photoetch and canopy glue. This gave me a lot of time to align the parts. I left them cure overnight, and then for added security I applied some really thin superglue into the tiny seam between the parts, and it spread all the way around with capillary action. As long as none of you guys smack it with a hammer (or I drop it) I think it will be OK.

IMG_6031

The cowlings were designed for the kit nacelles, not the Cobra replacements, and they are ever so slightly larger. But I think that's OK, as it results in a very small step (maybe 0.1mm or so) at the back of the cooling gills which I think looks nicer.

I started to work on the waist turrets, knowing that I need to scratchbuild a tubular framework to support the bulletproof glass. It was then I realised I was out of small diameter styrene rod. Another online order - should be here in a few days. I also ran out of 400 grit sandpaper! I told you she was a putty queen. I decided to buy the good stuff this time since the cheap stuff I've been using doesn't last long when wet sanding, even though it's labelled wet or dry. Ya gets what ya pay for.

You may also notice that I filled a few sink holes on the top of the wings. Sink holes are my life - along with ejection pin marks. I don't get out much.    :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. All that walking and stationary bike riding that is part of my physio have resulted in ol' Navy Bird losing a few feathers - down 8 pounds.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

As long as none of you guys smack it with a hammer (or I drop it) I think it will be OK.

So, Privateer flight test is out of question once its done:pilot:?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

So, Privateer flight test is out of question once its done:pilot:?

The flight is OK, it's just the landing I worry about.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2

'I dare say Bill your Privateer would do infinitely better than mine. If the Space Shuttle was a flying brick, my Privateer would be a flying cinder block. Plop.

• Haha 2

My grandson Carter recently built the ZTS Plastyk kit of the Gloster Javelin. I couldn't convince him to paint it in authentic colours - he opted for a nice baby blue on top and a darker blue on the bottom. He's coming up to six years old, but he's already using an airbrush.

Carter

I let him rummage through the Island of Misfit Stickers and he selected some pretty cool markings. Shark mouths from an F-86 and lightning bolts from some USN birds - Grumman Tiger and Panther/Cougar I believe.

Now, don't get upset but he wanted stars and bars on the wings. I told him it should be roundels as this was a British plane. He said "but what if America bought some?" So just imagine this Javelin as it would have appeared if the USN had purchased them and launched them off of a carrier. Just try to imagine that - I can't but maybe you can.

I'll keep working with him to get this "what if" silliness out of his head.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. By the way, he also told me that the Sabrina-style appendages on the underside were skis for landing on water. Seriously. What has this kid been watching on his iPad? Oh well, I suppose that would come in handy after the Flying Flatiron has left the catapult.

• Like 9
  • Haha 8