1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

Take your time with the model and concentrate on your recuperation. Even if not whittling plastic, you could make plans on what to do next (Plans he says I make it up as I go along🤣)

Trevor

• Like 1

On 08/07/2021 at 16:35, Fritag said:

Steady is good…

True fact. For modelling, recuperation, and, oh, maybe drinking.     :)

On 09/07/2021 at 04:01, perdu said:

I hear about your experiences and recall my then doctor's wise words when I enquired about getting surgery to 'fix' up my wrecked vertebrae.

"DON'T!"

Another true fact. That's always my first advice to folks with lower back pain - try everything else under the sun before you choose surgery. Spinal surgery is like Doom Bar on draught - you can't have just one. And I was taught that the domino theory had something to do with SE Asia.    :drunk:

On 09/07/2021 at 08:20, Max Headroom said:

Take your time with the model and concentrate on your recuperation. Even if not whittling plastic, you could make plans on what to do next (Plans he says I make it up as I go along🤣)

My addled brain is always thinking and planning about what to do next. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have boxes and boxes of aftermarket to go along with boxes and boxes of styrene.     :banghead:

Let's play "Now You See It, Soon You Won't."

Cobra provided several resin items to detail up the bombardier compartment and these have been installed in the forward fuselage. Not easy to get a photo of though, but I'll give it a shot. First, the bombardier's "cushion" and floor was added followed by the starboard sidewall, which has an oxygen hose, storage case, and some electrical control thingies.

IMG_5976

The port sidewall also has a bunch of switches and controls. In the center of the floor is the pedestal and Norden bomb sight - I added a small decal to try and represent the cheat sheet book that was stored at the front of the bomb sight.

IMG_5977

Looking from the back side, you can get a better idea how this stuff goes in.

IMG_5982

Cobra provide a bulkhead to separate the flight deck and nose gear well from the bombardier station. In reality, there was a crawl way to get up front and above that was the entrance to the forward ERCO turret. This all means that the Cobra bulkhead is fictitious. But I don't care (reason forthcoming) and I installed it anyway.

IMG_5983

The reason I used the parts as they are is because once the front turret is in place, the only way to see this area is through the lower front window. I tried this with both the kit clear part and the Cobra resin clear part. You can't see squat, let alone diddly. So, as I said now you see it, soon you won't.    

Next available time slot is scheduled for the installation of the rear bulkhead and nose gear (which has been painted with Hataka Aluminum). Once that is done, the flight deck assembly will slide in and the cockpit sidewalls added last. Then we can move on to some other part of this model.

By the way, I've also been cleaning up some of the remaining resin parts in the hope that some airborne resin dust will speed up the fusion of my vertebrae. It looks like there was a LOT of crud in the moulds. All I can do is chip away the crud as best as I can and march forward. If Cobra had still been in business when I bought this set, it would have gone back.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

If Cobra had still been in business when I bought this set, it would have gone back.

Looks great so far!  Which is exactly what I did with my first iteration of the B377 Stratocruiser parts--I sent them back because the wheels were out of round--kind of elongated.  Cobra's owner/chief bottle-washer took offense at my criticism, but refunded me in full.  Fortunately, I was able to land a corrected set much later.

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

I am glad to see that nothing can put you down from further improving your Privateer!!! Just a quick question about the resin items (and particularly the bomb sight/ targeting mechanism) that Cobra offers for the bombardier compartment. Did the Privateer used the same bomb sight mechanism that the B-24 used?

Stay well!

Cheers, 

Bill

Looks fab Bill, if that's 10 minutes' worth then you're doing more than I do in a couple of hours! 

And slow but steady with the back...

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Spinal surgery is like Doom Bar on draught

Good job it's not like London Pride then. Have one and the next thing you know you've had four or five...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Shalako said:

Did the Privateer used the same bomb sight mechanism that the B-24 used?

I guess so. The Ginter Privateer volume simply refers to it as a Norden bomb sight.

Cheers,

Bill

18 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I guess so. The Ginter Privateer volume simply refers to it as a Norden bomb sight.

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers Bill,

I will give it a more thorough look just in case there are any obvious differences.

Finally! The porcupine quills (sutures) were removed from my back. I can lie down or lean back against a chair without those nasty buggers reminding me that someone hit me in the back with an axe. Seriously, it feels SO much better. So much better, in fact, that I did some more work on the Privateer. First, the bulkhead at the rear of the nose section slipped right in.

IMG_5985

All of the bits that hold the nose gear were glued on with a rather strong "five minute" epoxy as I didn't think superglue, etc. would be strong enough. Luckily, the epoxy was applied in spots that are almost impossible to see - or, for that matter, impossible to get at for application. But I think it will work out OK.    :)

The spindly looking nose gear went in next. Although it looks spindly, it is surprisingly strong, and the epoxy is holding it on the bulkhead nicely. I made a similar nose gear for my PB4Y-1, and it has proven strong enough for the usual forces that a model experiences. I'm sure that a flat spin and impact from several feet will do it in, but that would also do in the rest of the model too.    😬

IMG_5986

IMG_5987

Add the nose gear to the list of stuff that will never be seen.     :(

Lastly, the flight deck and side panels - I think these came out well, even though the Cobra resin is kind of "soft" on its details. Hopefully, some of the flight deck will be visible through the open side windows of the canopy. Hopefully.

IMG_5992

I test fit the nose section against the fuselage proper, and things look good. A bit more of my red glazing putty will be in order.

The plan of attack going forward is to start by opening up some windows that are required for the variant I'm building (I'm glad I'm not making the RY-3 transport version as then I'd be opening up a LOT of windows). Then I think we need to work on the Cobra resin panels for the ERCO waist turrets. I'm sure the top turrets need to be installed before the fuselage halves go together. Revell/Matchbox forgot the astrodome entirely, so I'll need to make a hole for that. I think it goes right behind the forward top turret.

So, some baby steps.

My recovery is progressing nicely, and I'm religiously following my exercise regimen from my physio therapist to regain whatever core muscle strength I can get. Today was a big milestone - I walked to the corner and back without my walker! I'm not allowed to do that without a "spotter" but that's just temporary. I go back to my doctor in a few weeks for x-rays, so we'll see what he says. Who knows, maybe he'll let me sit at the workbench for 15 minutes at a time, not just 10!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Sutures ?? You lucky sod !!

I got 30 staples - yes the things they bind books with, which were removed over two sessions. Just about rusted up after a shower.......

As if there wasn't enough scaffolding internally, they installed more ironmongery to hold it all in !

You're going great guns, Bill, what with increased mobility and plastic manipulation.

Onwards and upwards,  old fella !!

Rog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

My recovery is progressing nicely,

That is great news. Keep going :thumbsup: Oh, and that nose section is a thing of beauty :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Really pleased your recovery is going well Bill, and we all hope that continues.

That cockpit is an absolute delight to behold, very impressive indeed.

One question. I can't recall whether you shared with us which scheme you are planning to give this beauty, US Navy, RCAF or Aéronavale? Maybe I missed that bit!

Terry

• Thanks 1

As others have already said great to hear your recovering well.

The PB4 is coming together now and the front end  is looking superb

Stay safe            Roger

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Here's hoping your back turns out as good as your flight deck!

To accomplish that, I'll need to fill the incision with my red putty and sand it down with 600 grit.     :)

14 hours ago, roginoz said:

Sutures ?? You lucky sod !!

I got 30 staples - yes the things they bind books with, which were removed over two sessions. Just about rusted up after a shower.......

Most of my other surgeries had staples - they are especially nice to remove when your skin has grown over the top of them. This time, "heavy duty" sutures were used due to the length of the incision. Or so I'm told. They reminded me of nylon weed whacker line. My problem with them was that the ends of the knots were sticking straight up like a porcupine and were constantly moving back and forth, even poking through the weave of my shirt. Quite annoying.

9 hours ago, giemme said:

That is great news. Keep going :thumbsup: Oh, and that nose section is a thing of beauty :clap:

Most folks tell me I have a rather big nose, and my daughters curse me for giving it to them.    :)

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

One question. I can't recall whether you shared with us which scheme you are planning to give this beauty, US Navy, RCAF or Aéronavale? Maybe I missed that bit!

USN - "Ol' Blunderbuss" of VPB-121 from White Dog Decals sheet 721003.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

USN - "Ol' Blunderbuss" of VPB-121 from White Dog Decals sheet 721003.

Excellent choice, really looking forward to seeing this one.

Terry

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Here's hoping your back turns out as good as your flight deck!

Roger that!

Maybe I could skip the putty and just paint my back zinc chromate...      :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Maybe I could skip the putty and just paint my back zinc chromate...      :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

Nahh Bil. Duct tape. If its good enough for NASA....

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

To accomplish that, I'll need to fill the incision with my red putty and sand it down with 600 grit.

Green Stuff and a belt sander? Ol'Blunderbuss is a great choice of markings. Note the reference to the different 'High Hat' turret.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/january/new-releases/whitedog_privateer.htm

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Green Stuff and a belt sander? Ol'Blunderbuss is a great choice of markings. Note the reference to the different 'High Hat' turret.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/january/new-releases/whitedog_privateer.htm

OK, you got me. What's a High Hat turret?     😕

I have three sets of clear parts for the top turrets - what came with the kit and two vacuform sets, one from Cobra and one from Falcon. Most photos show top turrets where the Plexiglas slopes down towards the openings for the guns (the kit and Falcon parts are like this), but there are some photos that show a more level top which also looks a bit taller (the Cobra parts are like this). Is the latter what is meant by High Hat?

Cheers,

Bill

The high hat turret will be a little bit taller than the normal B-24/Privateer turret. On a 1/48 Scale turret the difference is about a 1/16" (1.5mm) not much but noticeable.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

OK, you got me. What's a High Hat turret?     😕

I have three sets of clear parts for the top turrets - what came with the kit and two vacuform sets, one from Cobra and one from Falcon. Most photos show top turrets where the Plexiglas slopes down towards the openings for the guns (the kit and Falcon parts are like this), but there are some photos that show a more level top which also looks a bit taller (the Cobra parts are like this). Is the latter what is meant by High Hat?

Cheers,

Bill

http://380th.org/aircraft-typeJ.html

From the above site. 

Aj6gE0i.jpg

• Like 1

The standard turret fitted to B-24 models before B-24H was the Martin A3.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/squadron-9571-convair-b-24j-liberator-main-canopyhigh-hat-turretnose-blisters--248120

In B-24H (some) and B-24J (most) a taller, sloping plexiglass dome was fitted. As well as being taller by a very small amount the shape is a little different.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/squadron-9571-convair-b-24j-liberator-main-canopyhigh-hat-turretnose-blisters--248120

I don't know which iteration (Cobra or Falcon) represents it best in 1/72 but there is also one in the overtrees of Eduards Riders in the Sky B-24.