1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

13 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Upon opening the box, I would be immediately placing an order for aftermarket goodies. It's a disease, I can't help it.

That's exactly what happens to me! I dream of building an OOB model, if only I could contain myself!

Terry

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I'm wondering if I should perhaps build a nice little out-of-the-box, shake and bake kit while I get my full modelling self back. But then, the more I think about it, the more I realize it is not possible for me to do such a thing. Upon opening the box, I would be immediately placing an order for aftermarket goodies. It's a disease, I can't help it.

I refer the member for Rochester NY to the reply I gave to @longshanks a few days ago in reply to a very similar question:

"No you can't. I have searched the entire Galaxy for such a cure, or at least one that does not leave the modeller totally incapacitated, without success. Now, you may say that I am strange (quiet in the cheap seats!) but the modellers that I am most envious of are those that are happy to build straight from the box. Like you Kev, I start a kit with the intention of building it OOB but then I see things I don't like so out comes the plastic stock and down the very slippery slope of no return I slide.

Not So Helpful of Mars 👽 "

Even Less Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That's exactly what happens to me! I dream of building an OOB model, if only I could contain myself!

Terry

You're not the only one mate! It's an epidemic

Every single time. It's going to be an OOB build, definitely, yea, I'm sure, come on now how can I change my mind, I have already decided it! AND then, ohhhh look that neat etched set from Eduard! It will make my build look so much better!!!!:doh:

Edited by Shalako
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Martian said:

No you can't. I have searched the entire Galaxy for such a cure

OMG, really? No cure? I'm doomed. That will explain why my Air Cadet Glider build fest, stalled at the first model (and there are currently 7 in the plan), I'm largely scratch building the cockpit!

Never mind Bill, we clearly are not alone!

Terry

• Haha 6

I think I'm in the wrong thread, I'm increasingly thinking in terms of how would the 15 year old me do it & be happy, though I did do my recent Strikemaster with an AM cockpit, & I do have several others, as well as etch seat belts, vac canopies & various other resin bits, so maybe I'm not totally lost yet. :)

Steve.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I realize it is not possible for me to do such a thing

I broke that cycle with a few obscure KP and Revell biplanes in the Less Than A Tenner GB, about which I knew very little to start with and did no research. Resulted in trouble-free builds with no improvements!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

Sorry guys, I can't do it. I'm not far enough along in my recuperation to be sitting or standing at the workbench. I tried, but I can't jeopardize my recovery, I need to just stay calm and do what the bloody doctor says.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14
  • Sad 10

Just take your time, Bill @Navy Bird, as you'll know, you're in for the long haul. Treat yourself gently and take care [and the pills ! ].

Even after 2 years, my back is nowhere near what i had hoped it would be [after the previous 3 ops], it's just a case of being forced to take it easy, frustrating though that is.

Good luck with the ongoing build which I'm enjoying immensely.

Rog 

• Like 1

Hi Bill, sorry to hear of more health woes, wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself, the Privateer can wait a bit. You've inspired me with this build, I've just bought a kit to do the silver version without all the lumps n bumps!

On 7/4/2021 at 2:08 AM, Navy Bird said:

stay calm and do what the bloody doctor says.

Hang in there Bill and listen to the doctor.

I hear a lot of people commenting here about their backs and unless they were lifting weights in their professional life, I can't understand why their backs are in so much trouble and I include myself.

I'm near my fifties and I have back problems, especially during the winter months. I have lifted some considerable weights during my life but, only occasionally not systematically.

On the other hand, we are not that old. Even a 60 years old man in nowadays you can't say he is an old man. He is more like a middle-age man.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shalako said:

I hear a lot of people commenting here about their backs and unless they were lifting weights in their professional life, I can't understand why their backs are in so much trouble and I include myself.

In the general case, I blame it all on bipedalism. In my specific case, it's degenerative disc disease (DDD) augmented by youthful stupidity. Wikipedia has a good article about DDD:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerative_disc_disease

Going to attempt a very short spell at the workbench again today.    🤞

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

On 05/07/2021 at 19:24, Navy Bird said:

In the general case, I blame it all on bipedalism. In my specific case, it's degenerative disc disease (DDD) augmented by youthful stupidity. Wikipedia has a good article about DDD:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerative_disc_disease

Going to attempt a very short spell at the workbench again today.    🤞

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, we don't want you to put your recovery at risk on our accounts. Please be careful.

Concerned of Mars 👽

• Like 5

Thanks everyone! I'm quite privileged to have such a great bunch of mates. I'm so happy to have met so many of you at Telford in 2019. Maybe I'll get back over for the next one.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Bill,

The plastic can wait- your health and recovery are far more important than posting trials and tribulations related to modeling- even a Privateer! You have to know you have a whole bunch of people pulling for you. We will all still be here- take your time! Besides, you need to let all that filler and sprue gloop shrink and/or harden! I have not had the pleasure of meeting you in person, as so many of the BM'ers have, and most likely will never have the chance, but you're a fellow styrene surgeon, and I feel that I have come to know you through the banter and discussion here.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone! Your best wishes really help keep my spirit up. This will be a long haul I suspect, so small steps will be the order of the day.     :)

Accordingly, some small steps have been made. And boy are they small! Ha. I can take about 10 minutes at the workbench before I need to have a lie-down. My physiotherapist says that is OK, and is encouraging me to extend the sessions "as I feel comfortable." I'm also extending my daily walks (which aren't that far) and my exercise repetitions. Slowly...

Some new photos - first, the wings.

IMG_5975

Simply glued together with no additional work. The gear well detail seems mostly fictitious, and is not deep enough to accept the retracted gear and wheel. On my PB4Y-1 (the ancient Revell B-24D kit) there was no detail here at all, so I used the photoetch fold-a-kit from Eduard which worked well to provide the roof, sidewalls, and other structural details. I thought about doing that here as well, which would require grinding away all of the current detail. But then I asked myself a question: Why? It would be a LOT of effort for very little gain. So this is what you'll be getting mates.

Back at the front end, I glued together the two halves of the nose section. There was a small step on the upper surface along with some noticeable sink marks. These were filled and sanded. Excuse the following photos - these will look so much better once we get to painting this baby.

IMG_5972

You may notice that I've chosen to use the kit parts for the tiny windows. You won't be able to see anything through these little portholes anyway, so the kit parts will be fine.  Next, you may recall that the opening for the nose gear should be a rectangle with nice square corners but Matchbox tooled this as a hexagon with angled ends. I used some slivers of styrene to to square up the ends:

IMG_5974

The bottom side was filled and sanded, and I think will be OK (more sinkholes!).

IMG_5973

At this point, someone out there is thinking "the silly nitwit forgot to put the inside bits inside!" It certainly looks that way doesn't it? Well, believe it or don't, everything slides in just fine so there is no worry. I think it will be easier this way to get things in the right position, especially the parts for the bombardier's station. There are no locating pins or devices for any of these parts since they are all part of the Cobra set.

Time for a lie-down (this could be habit forming) and then I'll spend another 10 minutes (or 11 if I want to push it) and see if I can get some inside bits inside.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I test fit the wings into the fuselage halves and as I was warned the starboard wing was quite tight. However, I managed to get it properly seated, and back out again. I don't think I will have any trouble there especially since the wings will go on before any  paint. If I tried after paint I don't believe either wing would go in at all. Tight tolerances those Matchbox folks worked to!

• Like 17

Titanium spirit, as I said - this looks more than a 10 minutes sit down at the bench, BTW - great job :clap:

Any chance you can get any Adamantium in your spine, next time? :D

Ciao 

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Titanium spirit, as I said - this looks more than a 10 minutes sit down at the bench, BTW - great job :clap:

Any chance you can get any Adamantium in your spine, next time? :D

Titanium Spirit, that's me! Although at times it feels more like tin than titanium.     :drunk:

Now, the small amount of work accomplished was not all done in one session. More like four I think. One for gluing the wings together, one for squaring up the ends, and two for puttying and sanding.

As for the Adamantium, repeat after me:

There will not be a next time. There will not be a next time.     :fight:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Good to see you back at it Bill.  Looks to me like steady progress on the spinal recovery and steady progress with the (somewhat less important) Privateer.  Steady is good…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good looking front end Bill, no not yours silly the Privateer, coming along very nicely 'specially now you have had the back buggered about with again.

I hear about your experiences and recall my then doctor's wise words when I enquired about getting surgery to 'fix' up my wrecked vertebrae.

"DON'T!"

Retired now dammit, always as much a mate as a doc.

Keep up the tiny time slices, and then you will get better.

(I know, you know that)  :(

• Like 1