1:72 Revell Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

40 minutes ago, Martian said:

Tell them you know this deranged, blurglecruncheon toting Martian who has an even more deranged member of the Imperial General Staff for a friend, aka @general melchett, and if they don't behave you will send them round. Baldrick's filet mignons being just a courtesy gesture. Even better send them the pictures, that should do the trick!

Oh no, the blurglecruncheon! Not that!    😱

10 minutes ago, Lewis95 said:

I'd be fuming with that resin set pal. Did you speak to the vendor about it? 

I'd sic all you guys on the company, but they went out of business. Wonder why...     :doh:

Cowlings, cowling, cowlings...

IMG_5957

Lovely, eh? I cleaned up the central aperture and made my determination that one of the four is acceptable - mostly based on the chin intakes. I will see if I can use it as a master to make some additional copies.

Back on the flight deck, the instrument panel is progressing. I added some bits of card stock to build out the housing that the control yokes attach to. I will drill some small holes to allow a styrene rod to be inserted to act as the yoke column, and the funky half moon "steering wheels" will attach to that..

IMG_5958

Things are moving slowly. I'm doing a bit of the detail painting on the flight deck and bombardier station now, especially the sidewalls. It's coming along.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 12

Yet again my Martian friend has, by way of notification (more a threat really), managed to highlight another masterpiece in the making from our esteemed (not steamed) Naval Bill.....bravo.

Now to address the elephant in the room, yes.....

it's actually Roger. But when I tell people that, they ask for a shubbery.

Of course you do realize you've jemmied open Pandora's Box here, don't you...(I think you mean Shwubbery, Wodger)

Seriously, great work Bill, those castings are atrocious, can't believe they let them go out like that...if they had one, I'd ask to see the quality control manager and threaten a visitation from Martian and his big blurgletruncheon, that'd learn them. 

• Haha 7

On 6/7/2021 at 1:53 PM, Navy Bird said:

Hey, I got that set in the stash. I never thought about using it.

Bill,

I had some time today and got up to my hobby room/kit mausoleum to find my Cobra Privateer upgrade set, which I had purchased eons ago when it first came out. All four props and cowlings and props were clean, with no flash or detritus on them; the prop hubs were clean with no issues, and the vacform transparencies looked fairly nice, with the framework pretty well defined; I also had bought a set of the Squadron Privateer transparencies as well as a Falcon WW2 USN set that  had them. Guessing maybe your set was either cast towards the end of the original master's life, or was a  re-pop based on copies of the  original molds for both the resin and vacformed parts?  Sorry! :angry:

Mike 

I read that Squadron had been purchased and will be up and running soon. Maybe when they do, you could inquire about the availability of a set of Privateer transparencies? IIRC, they released these two sets:

http://www.rare-planedetective.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=SQD9145

http://www.rare-planedetective.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=SQD9146 

If it makes you feel any better, I'm going to order two sets of QB PBY-5 props from Hannants, as I hate working with resin, and I can always use them on my Catalina kits in the event I use the Cobra props when I get around to the Privateer. (Maybe by then Minicraft/Academy will give us a proper new-tool,,,,which is what will happen right after you finish with your Matchbox/Cobra conversion!) :giggle:

Is this a great hobby or what?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

IMG_5957

Cheers,

Bill

Interesting set and its a good thing that they give the engines separately.

The High Planes Models set gives the cowlings with the engines as a one piece. Very difficult if not impossible to make any improvements. 

I have heard that even this set (High Planes Models) is not very accurate (unfortunately, I was informed about this after my purchase😡)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Of course you do realize you've jemmied open Pandora's Box here, don't you...(I think you mean Shwubbery, Wodger)

Thanks General, er, I mean, Woderick. I think I'll change my middle name to "Biggus."     :)

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Is this a great hobby or what?

That's what the vendors keep telling me.     :)

Sounds like you got lucky with your Cobra set. I bought mine directly from Cobra (so it's not counterfeit or anything like that) but it was right when they were going belly up. I take some of the blame for not really looking at it closely until now!    :doh:

I ordered the Falcon vacuform sets several posts ago - you need to pay better attention, young man! Stop flirting with the lassies in the back of the classroom. Oh, another thing - I'm absolutely expecting someone to produce a new tool Privateer as soon as I finish this one. It's my way of helping out my fellow modeller.    :)

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I haven’t had the plastic in my hands so am approaching this from the direction of extreme stupidity, but what is wrong with the kit cowlings?

The kit cowlings have atrocious chin intakes. On the actual cowlings, the upper intake is not as wide as the lower. Those from Matchbox are the same size, plus the intakes subtend an angular arc about twice as many degrees as they should. They look like the Cheshire Cat smiling. And stay away from that extreme stupidity - that's my domain!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks General, er, I mean, Woderick. I think I'll change my middle name to "Biggus."   

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, wif all thwse dublewes floating awound, you're starting to sound like Lily Von Stuup .   :innocent:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Shalako said:

I have heard that even this set (High Planes Models) is not very accurate (unfortunately, I was informed about this after my purchase😡)

They don't look too bad. I don't have any photos that show a divider in the lower intake like the HPM parts, but that's about all I see at first glance.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Just an aside, but on patrol bomber. Over the weekend, I came into possetion of the Rare-Planes Martin Marlin, only WM props the rest engines etc are all vac-formed.  Caracla produced or di a detail set. Anyone know what it looks like.

TIA

Colin

@Navy Bird

Bill,

The way I see it, you have two other possibilities:

Get two Italeri B-25H/J kits and use the cowlings, engines, and props and do the Privateer that is part of the NMNA collection at Pensacola- it has all of the turrets but is an ex-fire bomber and has B-25 QEC's! Easy, peasy, right?

Another possibility is to take the cowlings from the Airfix B-24J, turn them 90 degrees and fill the upper intake so it is not as wide as the lower one- IIRC the upper intake fed the carburetor and the lower fed the oil cooler. The late great John De La Garza from our IPMS chapter did a PB4Y-2 many, many years ago, and that is how he handled the horrible Matchbox cowlings, and he reshaped the Airfix props. They looked pretty good. He did 'Little Feather.'  which had a scantily-clad Indian lass who had a feather that covered her naughty bits, and the sweet and proper lady who ran our best hobby shop along with her husband,  wouldn't let John display the model in the front window unless he turned it around the other way...those were the days!

The Airfix cowlings actually have a fairly decent rendition of the R-1830 molded inside, and look pretty convincing when painted. I' don't recall how John handled the different cowl flap arrangement of the Privateer, but most likely used plasticard squares...this was back in the 70's, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details...the ol' Mk 1a memory banks ain't what they used to be!

If anybody were to give us a new-tool kit, I'm thinking Valom would be the most likely candidate- look at all the esoteric multi;s they have released-if they can do a Harrow, Valetta, Twin Pin, and a Flamingo...

Mike

Not really related to your build, but I thought you might find the linked photos and article of interest. Lt. Cmdr. Mears was the C.O. of VPB-111, and the squadron did great work. From what I have read, Privateers defended themselves very well against Japanese fighters, but most losses were due to the low altitudes at which they flew as well as the skill and determination of  the flak gunners at that stage of the war. Privateers sank a lot of surface vessels and strafed a lot of installations in the closing months of the war. (Click on the link at the end of the photos to read the account.) I can't imagine flying a 14-hour mission over the ocean, especially considering the weather and primitive navigational aids available back then. Big brass ones, those VBP airmen!

https://modelingmadness.com/others/features/pb4ysaga.htm

Yowzah! Just now stumbled onto this photo collection; some neat photos of Privateers being built. Interesting camouflage paint, as it appears that the darker fuselage color has been applied  as a mottle and not a solid color.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10773

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks General, er, I mean, Woderick. I think I'll change my middle name to "Biggus."    

Stop boating Bill!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Just an aside, but on patrol bomber. Over the weekend, I came into possetion of the Rare-Planes Martin Marlin, only WM props the rest engines etc are all vac-formed.  Caracla produced or di a detail set. Anyone know what it looks like.

Hmm...Scalemates doesn't show a Martin Marlin kit by RarePlane. Are you sure it's not a Martin Mariner perhaps? One way to tell the difference is that the Mariner had two tails, the Marlin only one. Since the Marlin was developed from the Mariner, they are similar in many respects. If the kit you have is a Marlin, let me know the details (scale, kit number, aircraft version, etc.) and I can add it to the Scalemates database.

Caracal did a decal sheet for the P5M Marlin, and I suspect it was intended for the Hasegawa injected kit.

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

The way I see it, you have two other possibilities:

<snip>

If anybody were to give us a new-tool kit, I'm thinking Valom would be the most likely candidate

<snip>

https://modelingmadness.com/others/features/pb4ysaga.htm

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10773

Thanks Mike. I should be OK with the cowlings by making resin copies of the one good one. If that fails, I'll just pick up the High Planes Models set. My intention is to make Ol' Blunderbuss, especially since a fellow modeller donated the decal sheet to me.

Valom does make some obscure stuff, but still haven't produced a Blackburn Blackburn. Someday...     :)

Thanks for the historical links. It always amazes what these 20-something kids managed to accomplish. Don't think I could have done it.

3 hours ago, Martian said:

Stop boating Bill!

Do they have boats on Mars? I thought all the water evaporated long ago, or perhaps hordes of thirsty tentacled ones drank it all.    🐙

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Stay tuned, more flight deck photos will emerge soon.

• Haha 5

51 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Do they have boats on Mars? I thought all the water evaporated long ago, or perhaps hordes of thirsty tentacled ones drank it all.    🐙

I meant of course, boasting, a bit of tentacle trouble there. I thought about correcting the post but given your reply, I feel that it might be more amusing left as it is.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I meant of course, boasting, a bit of tentacle trouble there. 

I thought about correcting the post but given your reply, I feel that it might be more amusing left as it is.

There you go, liked the comment even though it was totally mishandled, followed up by an even more implausible excuse by 'Old Tentacles' himself. I don't know, just can't get the staff.

It always amazes what these 20-something kids managed to accomplish. Don't think I could have done it.

That's so true Bill, the wonders of youth but you know, I bet every one of those would have said exactly the same thing. 'Cometh the hour, cometh the man' as Baldrick famously didn't say...

Do they have boats on Mars?       PS. Stay tuned, more flight deck photos will emerge soon.

See what you did there...

• Haha 6

On 08/06/2021 at 21:38, Navy Bird said:

Oh no, the blurglecruncheon! Not that!    😱

I'd sic all you guys on the company, but they went out of business. Wonder why...     :doh:

IMG_5957

Lovely, eh? I cleaned up the central aperture and made my determination that one of the four is acceptable - mostly based on the chin intakes. I will see if I can use it as a master to make some additional copies.

Back on the flight deck, the instrument panel is progressing. I added some bits of card stock to build out the housing that the control yokes attach to. I will drill some small holes to allow a styrene rod to be inserted to act as the yoke column, and the funky half moon "steering wheels" will attach to that..

IMG_5958

Things are moving slowly. I'm doing a bit of the detail painting on the flight deck and bombardier station now, especially the sidewalls. It's coming along.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi,

Following this build with interest.

Concerning the matter about the engine cowlings there is a set from High Planes Models that would fit. It is:

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-consolidated-pb4y-2-privateer-engines-x-4-for-matchbox-kit-accessories-1-72/

I actually own the Cobra resin set you are using, and the problem with bad casting is not as severe as yours show. Anyway I am sure you will build a  super Privateer as you did with PB4Y1.

Congrats!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Hmm...Scalemates doesn't show a Martin Marlin kit by RarePlane. Are you sure it's not a Martin Mariner perhaps? One way to tell the difference is that the Mariner had two tails, the Marlin only one. Since the Marlin was developed from the Mariner, they are similar in many respects. If the kit you have is a Marlin, let me know the details (scale, kit number, aircraft version, etc.) and I can add it to the Scalemates database.

Caracal did a decal sheet for the P5M Marlin, and I suspect it was intended for the Hasegawa injected kit.

Thanks Mike. I should be OK with the cowlings by making resin copies of the one good one. If that fails, I'll just pick up the High Planes Models set. My intention is to make Ol' Blunderbuss, especially since a fellow modeller donated the decal sheet to me.

Valom does make some obscure stuff, but still haven't produced a Blackburn Blackburn. Someday...     :)

Thanks for the historical links. It always amazes what these 20-something kids managed to accomplish. Don't think I could have done it.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Stay tuned, more flight deck photos will emerge soon.

Oooops, apologies Mariner! A da filled with brain fade!!!

Colin

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

See what you did there...

Umm...squared the circle?     :drunk:

2 hours ago, pentel_5 said:

Anyway I am sure you will build a  super Privateer as you did with PB4Y1.

Thanks - I hope it will turn out to be a worthwhile stablemate. But I also hope it doesn't take as long! That old Revell PB4Y-1 needed a lot of work. Then again, so does this Matchbox kit. I'm keeping the HPM cowlings in reserve until I see how the attempt to make copies of my one good cowling turns out. My buddy The Mad Caster is stopping by this afternoon for a brainstorming session.

There may not be a lot of activity in this thread for a while. I'm taking a week off to spend at the beach house in Delaware with all the family, and will return on June 19. Then, on the 25th I have hack 'n' slash number 10. I have no clue how long after that before I'm back at the workbench. Hopefully not too long!

In the meantime, the flight deck looks sufficient based on what little one will actually be able to see looking though those tiny little side windows of the canopy (which I hope to pose open). The detail on the Cobra castings is a bit on the soft side (compared to, say, SBS or Aires) but nonetheless better than the Matchbox blank slate.

IMG_5963

IMG_5962

IMG_5961

The assorted photoetch bits were leftovers from my PB4Y-1 build. I had duplicates of the instrument panel, control yokes, and seat harnesses from Eduard and CMK. These here are from CMK. The instrument panel is for a B-24D but it's close enough for me. I didn't paint the back of the instrument panel as it can't be seen. Oops, just noticed I forgot the armrests. Dude, pay attention!

I also painted up the sidewalls for the cockpit and bombardier station, along with the "cushion" that the bombardier supposedly lays down on. Photos I have show more of a sling arrangement. Anyway, I think I spent more time arranging this photo than I did in painting the bits.

IMG_5960

Cobra also provide a bomb sight and some other boxes that go upfront. Those are next on my list to be butchered.    :banghead:

I've been thinking of the various ways to assemble the nose section - the parts that go upfront don't have any locating surfaces or pegs, so much like a Roman arch I'll need to find the keystone. I think it's the floor/whoopee cushion. Once that's in place, the location of the other bits should become obvious. It's nice that the flight deck slides in from behind, as that means it can be added last giving me some space to work with for my lame attempt at the nose gear.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 24

On 07/06/2021 at 19:53, Navy Bird said:

appropriate government

Almost oxymoronic Bill huh?

Ah I forgot you are over

the water, maybe appropriate is OK ish.

Stew and Roger are exactly right.

It looks gorgeous.

• Thanks 1

Umm...squared the circle?     

Yes, that's it... 

As the others have said, lovely cockpit Bill, should be a real showstopper.

Enjoy yourself with the family at your beach house and take care out there, hope the weather's good to you. Then, when you get back you can set about that resin like a MacAdder on speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1