Bedford MWC (Gecko Models 1/35)

Thanks @Pig of the Week 😁

Damn right @s.e.charles 👍🏻😉

It was all about the rear over the last couple of days.

I've made a couple of doors. Using yorgart pot lids pressed over the kit parts

20210529_131905

I've also added some water effects on the PE to go into the bowser. This has now been closed up so no going back on this one!!😳

20210529_140833

What the kit says the rear should look like

20210506_172347

What it should look like

59dcb862ca9e3_mlu202..jpg.b881394bd7eccc24659abbab0b8d8eff

My efforts

20210530_184250

20210530_184306

A lot of the above is taken from an excellent film on Youtube of an earlier 'oval' version being used. It's been invaluable along with a couple of real life restorations although those need a bit of salt included as they don't seem totally accurate.

Looking at the pics I think I'll redo the two long 'doors' again. They're a bit too thick and those eyelets on the end are way over sized. I'll sort them tomorrow. I've also realised I've made a right pigs ear of the PE on the rear mudguards. I'll have to re do them as well!!

Cheers all

Andrew

Edited by APA
  • Like 9

On 5/30/2021 at 7:47 PM, Pig of the Week said:

Love the "water"... Looks like it's just come out of your Gin and Tonic !.. :)

Ah! Thanks. I need one after this build! 😂

7 hours ago, karly Boy said:

Great scratch work Andrew, really enjoying your build

Cheers Karly. Hows yours doing?

4 hours ago, echen said:

Great seeing how this is developing. 👍

Cheers glad you're liking it 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Lummox said:

Some lovely work going on there Andrew. The yoghurt lid embossing technique looks interesting - stored in the memory banks for future reference 👍,

It's a very effective method. The only drawback is it's very, very delicate. One touch and it will distort! Well it is a yoghurt pot lid afterall. I've tried using copper sheet even at 0.08mm but it's still too thick to get into the grooves at all. Copper sheet is fine for big stuff but not the really intricate things.

18 minutes ago, s.e.charles said:

the camera is definitely a cruel mistress! bet there's more time and detail spent on the aft end than anyone but you will ever know.

Tell me about it!! I'm all well chuffed with my efforts but as soon as I hit 'Submit' I can see what a dogs dinner I've made of it all!! To look on the positive side it's an excellent way of judging your work and I often, as in this case, go back and redo a lot of work.

Andrew

2 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

I'm loving the detailing - really super work.

Making me hanker after doing some some AFV modelling :winkgrin:

Rob

Ha ha thanks 👍

Go for it, get your plimsolls dirty 😉

Andrew 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's about done and on to the painting. I've added a few extras like the drain pipes just in front of the filters, a proper pipe 'bumper' on the front, replacement clips for the rifles, a rough cut seal on the tank cover which by the looks of period images were hand cut and a bit of filling on the doors and cab frame where the kit windows would locate.

It's a busy little kit, I'll give it that.

20210613_095723

20210613_095738

Rera all done with doors in place

20210613_095648

The Jerry Can holder will be painted separately then mounted.

20210613_095706

Bit scruffy but thats how they were. I'm guessing any bit of gasket rubber would do.

20210612_184109

New clips for the rifles. I didn't use the kit ones as the clips were moulded on. A couple of aftermarket ones which apparently are Mk1 and Mk4 Lee Enfields.

20210612_160512

Even managed to get the rear mud guards to line up nicely

20210612_191134

20210613_095910

Next stop is the airbrush, do some basic stuff on the engine and radiator so I can mount the cab then add the remaining bits like gear stick, bonnet spring clips and radiator canvas cover.

Cheers All

Andrew

• Like 12

Cheers all

Yes Lummox the water is in there. You have to catch it as a certain light to actually see it and these pics don't show it. It's stuffed with tissue at the mo for spraying 😁

Andrew

• Like 1

Bugger! I knew this would happen 🙄

To be honest I just cut two rifles of the sprue. Wasn't until I was cleaning them up I noticed they were different. This is a 44 onwards setting in NE. 

I know this is lazy and not how it worked but "excuse me Sarge I've lost me old rifle can I have one of those new ones please" 

Am I a bad modeller? 😔

Andrew 

• Haha 1

I'd think most who went over on D Day and thereafter would've been toting a No4 tbh.   As a point of interest, tho only really relevant to SE Asia theatres of op. I believe the Aussies kept the SMLE and never adopted the No4 ( if I remember correctly....)

The No4 is the one with the more "pointy" barrel at the sharp end, stowed on the passenger side !

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

I'd think most who went over on D Day and thereafter would've been toting a No4 tbh.   As a point of interest, tho only really relevant to SE Asia theatres of op. I believe the Aussies kept the SMLE and never adopted the No4 ( if I remember correctly....)

The No4 is the one with the more "pointy" barrel at the sharp end, stowed on the passenger side !

Interesting to know. Well they're well and truly stuck in now. It will be our secret, I won't tell if you don't 😉👍

Andrew 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, APA said:

Interesting to know. Well they're well and truly stuck in now. It will be our secret, I won't tell if you don't 😉👍

Andrew 

Might just be what was in the armory!  The No. 1 was manufactured in Australia and India after the war, finally in .308.  No. 4s were rebuilt, repainted in black and kept in service until the SLRs came into service.

21 minutes ago, AndyTAZ said:

Might just be what was in the armory!  The No. 1 was manufactured in Australia and India after the war, finally in .308.  No. 4s were rebuilt, repainted in black and kept in service until the SLRs came into service.

India was another country that liked the SMLE and may have stuck with it like the Aussies.

Certainly the No4s went on and on,  even in the SLR era they were still in use for drill with cadets and ATC in my day,  I could no doubt remember how to strip one even now !