Bedford MWC (Gecko Models 1/35)

Thanks both. 

They are made from a pair of feet from the tamiya cromwell kit I had in the spares and the main bit is made from lead foil from a wine bottle seal. Thick and maliable. 

I'm going to make them again as I think they are a bit rough and slightly to big. 

Probably is a fly fisherman 😂 and used to retrieve the floats and filters stuck in the reeds on the banks of the river Waal, Netherlands 😊

Andrew 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

I assume these didn't draw their own water from source, or did they ?  I've got an old wickerwork filter from a fire engine for when they were using muddy crappy water,  be interesting to replicate in scale !

They most certainly did pump their own water. Reverse up to your nearest lake / river, drop the pipes with the filters on the end in and start hand pumping. If you look at the front of the bowser behind the cab. On each side there are is a round vertical unit. They are the filters. You add special powder to them. Below that there is the hand pump. The two guys get to it pumping away on each side. Takes about 1 hour to fill the 150 gallon bowser. It's all in the video I posted above from 10mins in. 🙄

Andrew

• Like 2

2 hours ago, APA said:

They most certainly did pump their own water. Reverse up to your nearest lake / river, drop the pipes with the filters on the end in and start hand pumping. If you look at the front of the bowser behind the cab. On each side there are is a round vertical unit. They are the filters. You add special powder to them. Below that there is the hand pump. The two guys get to it pumping away on each side. Takes about 1 hour to fill the 150 gallon bowser. It's all in the video I posted above from 10mins in. 🙄

Andrew

Cool, I've just given the film a look 👍 brilliant stuff, don't know how I managed to overlook it in the thread before!.. Bit of a mission hand pumping tho, I'd certainly hope to be issued a truck with a PTO pump !

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 2

Well this is a rabbit hole I wasn't anticipating going down! I'm going with the 'Cpt J R Hartley's war' theme 😁 I also did my first bit of 3D printing in anger. Now it's always each to thier own but I never consider 3D printing as 'modelling'. Of course it is but for me I'm more of a hands on sort who likes a bit of micro whittling 😉. Also CADCAM used to be my day job so while I know what I'm doing I don't really want to do my old job as a hobby. Make sense? Oh and everything I've wanted to print was so ridiculously small it never worked.

Anyway here are the results. I was a little ambitious with how thin I could go but it worked in the end. Worst bit was getting the lids off the supports.

20210719_174041

20210719_174051

The handmade box remains but all the wonky bits of brass tube for cups are gone with a dropper bottle and other bottle added. There will be a few stirring rods to add. 

20210719_183136

The other box is a fly fishing box which will have 1/35 scale fishing flies in it 😳 and I think PE is excessively fiddly!!

20210719_183147

This these are the real things

The setrilisation kit (This is a WW1 version but the test is still used today with identical equipement)

L0027064 Case Water Testing Sterilisation 1917 Pattern.

and the fly box

Screenshot_20210713-150311_Chrome

I will now be attempting to make a fly fishing rod with reel. Wish me luck!! 🙄

Andrew

• Like 8

Thanks very much @Pig of the Week much better than than the bit piping before 😏

And yes @Lummox it does have whiff of the dark side about it however it's all ying and yang and all that 😁

Bit of proper modelling tonight. First scratchings of the rod. 

20210720_194245

Andrew 

• Like 7

I think we're on the home stretch now. Been whittling away quietly a few hours a night and I think apart from one bag and a few cloths draped here and there this is done bar the painting and fixing.

I've redone the waders to be a bit more in scale.

20210725_173227

Remember the razor foils.......

20210514_160617

They're now the outer filter cases

20210725_173118

I also redid the rod. It's a three parter so that the sections are thinner.

20210725_173239

20210725_173352

I'm going to put it all on this base (Minus the nasty scratch!). Dioramas are not really my thing and I intend to do this with all my builds. I think it frames and shows of the build nicely.

20210725_173332

I challenged myself to make the eyes for the rod 😁 Well chuffed

20210725_173614

20210725_173303

So probably the next step will be RFI but if I do anything else interesting I will post here. Have to leave things for a week or so as I'm away and 1:1 scale will be taking priority 🙄

Cheers all

Andrew

• Like 13

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got all the accessories done and painted. Fishing rod was remade, I used Molotow for the first time. Nice and shiny!! I used Micro Kristal Clear in the cups and the purple didn't quit go to plan as it didn't go clear when I mixed some purple with it but it sort of worked in the end. The 'cut off' are a pair of gloves and a random document to stick in the door pockets to try and hide the fact they are not hollow. The red tipped black tube is the rod case. The notebook is a ring binder which I did check and they were introduced in the early 30's so period correct 😁 The fly box is based on a period example and the flys are shreds of tissue soaked in various bright colours. I did ponder making the hooks but I value my sanity😳

I'm really liking using foil and lead sheet (From yoghurt pots and wine bottle necks) The only down side is it doesn't take paint well but if you take care it's ok.

20210825_172906

20210825_172834

Next stop RFI

Cheers all

Andrew

• Like 12

Hi, Andrew

Incredible thoroughness! These small details look great, in fact, it all looks brilliant. Everything good and big is made up of small details, and therefore I really like your work.

And about the hooks: it seems to me that you still made the hooks, but you afraid to admit... :rofl:

Vytautas

• Like 1

• 1 month later...