Reggiane Re.2002 "Ariete" 1:48 Italeri

Hello everyone!

I'm throwing an instant Italian project into the workshop, and how could I not throw in another Italian. The hero of this workshop will be Reggiane Re. 2002 "Ariete" in 1:48 from Italeri, there will be no additions to it. Instant project so a word of explanation, the model will be at my friend's place on the shelf. Not everyone has the ability or time. Below is a small in-box of the kit:

YQSwKPa.jpg

kyCR82O.jpg

53gZeLm.jpg

Ku1SZm2.jpg

Xu6h6G0.jpg

j5Htnd6.jpg

T9ELp2i.jpg

ZK0xSQu.jpg

9xSEykb.jpg

D5bhlmn.jpg

79NSQkb.jpg

JebFjEd.jpg

FM7smd6.jpg

au6KLs2.jpg

8EitNG9.jpg

R4VNGau.jpg

eomDLFs.jpg

Js1zI7E.jpg

ZYNZrA4.jpg

Edited by Kriss
  • Like 5

This model is an awful sum of mistakes, certainly one of the worth in the Italeri catalogue. But if you intend to do it like it is, good luck with your built.😉

• Like 1

Thanks for the hint, as I saw the model it would do nothing to throw in resins and sheet metal without rebuilding the whole model. I want to finish it quickly because I want to take MC. 202 in 1:48 to the workshop. A little progress, the instrument panel is done.

P5RHZCg.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks John(shortCummins) for liking my work. I try to make my models look realistic, I don't like overly dirty models.

Getting back to "Ariete" is a little work progress. Recesses cut out of both sides of the fuselage.

PHLdAe7.jpg

The cut-outs in the wings were plugged with cannon flaps, the undercarriage recesses were glued and partially painted. It's as if some eagle eye should notice that something has been left out.

W0r0h2t.jpg

And the engine cover glued and I drilled holes for the rifle outlets, there were only recesses in the model.

l4TaNRk.jpg

• Like 4

Folding continues, already resembling a plane.

orhXHvq.jpg

Interior also painted as well as engine cover and front "Ariete" fire wall. Now it will be fun to play with the engine. And what is also important, the camouflage painting has not been chosen yet, only the first 3 paintings come into play. Just like a suspension, tank or bauble not chosen. But there's still some time left to choose.

78GP5C1.jpg

• Like 4

As always the reliable Tamiya tape has been used to mask the glazing on both sides as I am making an open cab version.

WZuVpPP.jpg

After masking, the front part of the cabin cover was glued to the fuselage along with the engine cover and almost all other parts of the model. I do not know about you, but I already have a weekend and I would like to tinker something more with "Ariete", we will see what comes out of it.

ZsdfEWo.jpg

• Like 5

I know the photo is overexposed but I still don't have a place to take photos, renovations in the house are still going on. Everything is moving slowly but forward. Back to the "Ariete" the bottom is already painted at the ready.

NXbhMHr.jpg

• Like 3

Playing with the masking worked out pretty well.

f1aY6GK.jpg

The mosaic also came out with the initial shading of the sheets on the model. The photo as you can see was taken quickly and I don't have another one. I've already pre-painted it with green.

ifkXFwZ.jpg

• Like 4

I did a little shading to make the model not completely uniform but also not a colorful checkerboard. I used several colors of green dedicated to Italian aircraft from the Bilmodels palette with numbers 282, 289, 300 and 319. I tried to get the effect of a uniform color and when looking at it from a click you can see its different colors. That's how it worked out for me. Just a white belt and decals to go.

KPPRWdd.jpg

QyWjvtX.jpg

• Like 9

On 06/05/2021 at 20:09, Zigomar said:

This model is an awful sum of mistakes, certainly one of the worth in the Italeri catalogue. But if you intend to do it like it is, good luck with your built.😉

I couldn't agree more . And I did try to fix some of the when I built mine, but in the end I was still quite disappointed.

Still, you build is impeccable per se, and I really like your painting technique - beautiful rendition of the top green :clap:

Ciao

I found this idea of shading somewhere on some forum, I practiced a bit and I got something like this. I didn't want a solid green color on top because the model would look like a toy and I wanted to avoid that. The photos were backlit to show these delicate color transitions. In fact, you have to look closely to see these transitions. I am very happy that you like my work.

• Like 1

Painting continues, white stripe on the fuselage is already painted. As you can see in the picture it's not perfectly white because I wanted to get that effect.

Rfarwyi.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This is the surprise I got when applying the decals. So the tape went on and I painted the missing section. The biggest problem I encountered was the marks on the wings despite using gunze liquids it did nothing and I came out with a little silvering as well as hard to remove the liquid marks. The rest of the calques formed without any problems. I used gunze because I ran out of MICROSCALE, I don't know if it was my fault that it didn't line up on the wings as it should have. I fought with them a bit and there is no tragedy.

8zjvfV2.jpg

• Like 3

That's quite odd, Kriss :hmmm: When I built mine, I masked and painted the entire Savoia's cross on the rudder, except for the Savoia emblem, which I did cut out of the actual decal and posed later. I think I kept the instructions for this kit; out of curiosity, I'm gonna check the decals placement and see how Italeri thought they were supposed to be laid down. But looking at period pics, the vertical arm of the cross should extend from top to bottom of the rudder, just like you fixed it.

BTW, if you are representing Major Cenni's aircraft, right before he was shot down the top wing insignias (fasci alari) were overpainted, as the RA already knew about the Armistice in advance and were removing fascist emblems accordingly. So, if you are not happy with how hey look, you can overspray them and still be historically accurate (pending the fact that very likely this wasn't actually Cenni's mount, rather one of the same group, but the wing fasci removal still applies)

Ciao

• 2 months later...

I was away for a while, but I also managed to sit at the model. I made some exploitation marks so as not to overdo it. And somehow it worked out.

Actually, it is not Major Cenni's plane, but from his unit.

sxjhC1t.jpg

rZgebiI.jpg

ceW4htS.jpg

• Like 3

That's a very nice paint and decal job you have there, Kriss :clap: BTW, I did check the original Italeri instructions, and they call the ruder cross placement as if it the vertical arms should extend top to bottom - I can't comment on the decal cross size itself, though, because as I said I didn't use it, since I masked and painted it on.

Your call, but I still think you should overpaint the top wing Fasci with the base wing color- you'd be historically accurate and sort the silvering issue at the same time :winkgrin:

Ciao

Edit: I forgot to mention - if you overpaint the top wing Fasci, you should do the same on the bottom wing too

Edited by giemme
PS

• 1 month later...