453rd Bomber Group Museum Builds

CedB

You might remember that, when 'The Americans' came to visit last November, we went to the 453rd Bomber Group Museum and Old Buckenham. Our visit is documented here (scroll down past Salisbury!). James Clarey (Jim) who owns the museum was extremely kind, finding information on both our guest's relatives and presenting them with keepsakes. 

Jim told us that he hoped to include, in each of the Museum display cases, a model appropriate to the display. We offered to help if we could and Jim emailed me with a list of the models he would like built - over 70 in total! I contacted modellers I know and asked if they'd be prepared to build something for Jim. 

This thread is to keep track! PLEASE post a link to your builds and we'll try to keep a record.

• Like 3

I'll start it off!

Revell 1/72 B17-G out of the box(ish). One for me and one for Jim:

• Like 1

Just had a bit of a chat with Jim who is, as usual, busy BUT he is progressing the kit 'deliveries'.

@giemme your kits were posted last week so they're on the way.

Jim also has a big kit order making its way from China. Presumably through the Suez canal so fingers crossed.

Jim's also still offering complementary tickets to the air show at the end of July for those involved in the project - drop him an email if you're interested. I'll be there on Saturday 31st.

• Thanks 1

1/48 Tamiya Spifire VB.  Mixture of scratch-build and a bit of aftermarket to try and give the old girl (mid 90's) a bit of a lift.  Decals on route from JIm so markings tbd. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CedB said:

@giemme your kits were posted last week so they're on the way.

Yep, Jim told me, thank you. I know from experience of buying stuff from online modelling shops in the UK that it takes at least ten days for parcels to arrive here - but it can easily grow to two weeks. All Italian side fault, I'm afraid.....

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

@Tcoat has very kindly offered to donate a model of a 'BROKEN Shangri-La'. Excellent!

His build thread here:

It is sort of nice to build something that other people will actually see. I have pretty much run out of flat surfaces in the house that are suitable for displaying competed projects that nobody ever looks at anyway!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well it's been quiet here for a while. @CedB and @giemme recently put me in touch with Jim 453rd Bomb Group Museum as I felt it was time for me to attempt a contribution to this fine cause. So I type this from deepest Suffolk where I have spent a pleasant 4 days, taking in the countryside and sights various. I even managed to hook up with Stuart @Courageous for a few beers and a catch up in Bury St Edmonds. 

One of most interesting places I visited was the 453rd Museum to meet Jim, and collect some "items" he had pout aside for me. Jim's hospitality seemed to have no bounds, and apart from the 453rd Museum itself, I found the tour of the rest of Jim's collection was truly amazing. 

Photo from Terry Howlett

On closer inspection we have....................

IMG20220725094146

Jim has asked me to make the Tamiya 1/48 P-51D, as an aircraft from the 359th Fighter Group based out of East Wretham in Norfolk, and the 1/72 Airfix B-17G representing an aircraft from the 452nd Bombardment Group based out of Deopham Green in Norfolk.

He is still waiting on the specific decals for both these options, which he will send on to me when he receives them. Meanwhile, the first of the builds (probably the Mustang) will have its own WIP, once I get back home later this week. I will update this thread with the WIP details. The B-17 will follow "later"..................

Very pleased to be able to join this esteemed group and dedicate a couple of builds to those brave airmen from across the pond.

Terry

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

The B-17 will follow "later"..................

:snail:.....................................:waiting:.....................................:tumble: but I'm sure things will go great if just build it OOB with the custom decals of course. :coat:

Stuart

• Haha 2

Glad you were able to visit the museum and meet Jim, Terry! :thumbsup: I'm sure you had a great time, and Jim is quite the host!

Off with the Mustang, uh? That's the same kit I built for the museum  :thumbsup: Enjoy!

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...