Adrian's Airfix SRN4

Adrian Hills

I think I’m beyond help as considering a build in future of the mk III shape of Princess Margaret. Will use my donor kit but need another one. Have already put a request in wanted section and considering a part started one. 

• Like 1

Spent the day fitting the walls and painting various parts. Here you will see I didn't make allowance in paint colour for the 'inner' cabins, ie those directly on the car deck. The design of this kit means you can delete these, as they were for the real hovercraft, for the mk II version.

IMG_4954[8547]

I marked out the area surrounded by these inner walls and painted the floor in 'cabin carpet colour'. As this was now an internal cabin space I then painted the walls in internal cabin brown.

IMG_4957[8548]

IMG_4958[8549]

IMG_4959[8550]

Enough for today. Now time to think of something else

• Like 9

A quiet day as cooking in a bit and then watching the finish of the Tour de France. Just did a colour check for seat fabric and anti-macasser colours using my seats from the hovercraft I am modelling. Decided not to take up Troy's suggestion of photographing fabric and then reducing image to 1/144 scale and printing up a decal sheet !

IMG_4963[8559]

IMG_4965[8560]

• Like 7

A little bit of progress with seats. Part No 99 a four cushion seat is missing which is where my spare kit comes in. All I've got to do is paint a 'hovercraft load' of figures and the cars. Will trial fit outer walls and front and rear first as I know a few others have had problems at that stage.

IMG_4979[8612]

• Like 10

That look marvelous! :clap2:

Perhaps you could a include a vignette with some poor fool and a few helpful onlookers trying to break into the fool's hired car because he locked the car with the keys sitting on the front seat.

Such an event may or may not happened on the Gourock - Kilcreggan Ferry in the early '80s. I hear that it wasn't actually that hard to break into a Dolomite of the time. Just sayin... :whistle:

• Haha 8

Now, apart from part 99 which just needs to have its legs painted aluminium an glued in place I will have completed stage 10. These days I tend to stop when I get a bit tired as it is at that time when I get too much that'll do.

IMG_4989[8616]

IMG_4987[8614]

Extreme close ups can be very unflattering. Still I like the concept of this windowless inner room - What were they thinking !

IMG_4988[8615]

IMG_4990[8617]

Sometimes I get a bit poetic. My model, paint and glue drying, sitting on some spare London Transport moquette that my lover used to re-upholster my office/modelling chair. 

• Like 10

Seat 99 in place and attended to what had to be painted what colour as it became logical as the parts were dry fitted. 

IMG_4998[8625]

Found it a bit nerve wracking trying to get roof and back end to conform

IMG_4999[8626]

IMG_5001[8627]

IMG_5004[8628]

Actually I think it will work well. Despite its unusual construction it makes logical sense. Bit stressed on this so will leave it for today and fiddle with my little SRN4

• Like 7

On 7/16/2021 at 1:29 PM, Adrian Hills said:

Not sure why !

IMG_4944[8529]

IMG_4950[8535]

Not sure what 034

Because the bottom edge is just about the right height to brain yourself on when moving around and between vehicles on a tightly-packed vehicle deck, or to bash the side of a van/caravan/ 3.5 tonner against.

Statistics. Eighteen vehicles, about a hundred figures and getting on for forty different paints used so far. Having fun 🙂

IMG_5012[8648]

First coat on vehicles and will add bumpers, tyres, hubcaps and maybe a number 53 😉

IMG_5013[8649]

After another two hours painting figures, still a bit more to do

• Like 10

Cars painted. Sorry, I just couldn't resist that famous anthropomorphic VW Beetle. I put it down to the fact that I probably saw the film around the same time as buying the kit and thought as a young child 'why don't I ? - So now I have.

IMG_5015[8684]

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Had a pleasant time fitting the cars and the people. I attached a pin to each car and drilled the deck. The people are simply super glued.

IMG_5034[8698]

Note the vehicles enter at the front to exit from the rear

IMG_5037[8701]

Near the front are a couple of grandparents (grandmother in happy orange) and their grandson going on holiday.

IMG_5033[8697]

And below you see a couple of women going on holiday together to a country that is more acceptable of them

IMG_5032[8696]

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Andwil said:

Don’t know whether anybody would be brave enough to sit next to that chap with the purple trousers!

AW

Especially as he’s squeezing out a fart !

• Haha 4