Harrier T-Birds

Bruce Archer

Hi All!

I just finished my Bobcat 2-seat Harrier as a USMC TAV-8A. My problem now are decals. I know VMAT-203 used the TAV-8A, but I cannot find any decals for one of these. So, does anyone know of another USMC Sqn. who had the TAV-8A ? I has to be a USMC T-Bird.

Bruce

26 minutes ago, Bruce Archer said:

Hi All!

I just finished my Bobcat 2-seat Harrier as a USMC TAV-8A. My problem now are decals. I know VMAT-203 used the TAV-8A, but I cannot find any decals for one of these. So, does anyone know of another USMC Sqn. who had the TAV-8A ? I has to be a USMC T-Bird.

Bruce

Check each known USMC AV-8A squadron for photos.

If they're anything like RAF - they'll each have at least one 2-seater for standards flights etc.

1 hour ago, Nebbor said:

Caracal did a sheet (CD72017) for the AV-8A so the serial has to be cobbled together. All other VMAT-203 markings seem to be the same.

spacer.png

The problem is finding one of those sheets. I have been looking for one months, the reason for my question.

Bruce

13 minutes ago, Bruce Archer said:

The problem is finding one of those sheets. I have been looking for one months, the reason for my question.

Bruce

Ask here, you might get lucky:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/partialdecals

And said to be in stock here:

https://meridiahobby-container.zoeysite.com/cd72017-usmc-av-8a-harrier

Edited by Nebbor

On 5/5/2021 at 6:31 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Check each known USMC AV-8A squadron for photos.

If they're anything like RAF - they'll each have at least one 2-seater for standards flights etc.

USMC units follow the USN practice of having training variants only in the designated training units, so no two seater trainer in active units. It is a system that makes sense considering the way these forces deploy.

The only other units that may have traning variants are test units and land based units tasked with various support roles (aggressors, utility etc).

This means that VMAT-203 was the only unit operating the TAV-8A. Other test units may have had one or two for short periods (NATC maybe ?). Not seen any pictures but I can't be sure none exist.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, scotthldr said:

I’m fairly sure that the T-Birds were only ever operated by VMAT-203 except a single(I think), example by NASA and another by VX-23 at Pax River.

While there is a TAV-8A in NASA markings, I have not found evidence of any aircraft of this variant serving with the Agency. That aircraft is Bu.No. 159381, that was struck off charge after a crash while serving with VMAT-203 in 1983 (her second crash). I've never seen any picture of this aircraft in NASA markings and she's not included in any list of aircraft that served with them. I believe she was repainted in those markings only after leaving service, probably to "commemorate" those Harriers that were actually used by NASA in their distinctive livery