1/48th A-4K Skyhawk – 75 Sqn RNZAF “Pitch Black” 1984 Darwin - "Zapped"!

This was built as part of the Australian & New Zealand GB. The base model is Hasegawa’s lovely 1/48th A-4E/F model which just happens to have the bits required to build an early RNZAF A-4K. A few additional bits were added.

The markings come from Gekko Graphics RNZAF Decal set. Unfortunately time ha not been good to my set and they had become very fragile! Some silvered badly other, others just split into a billion bits, so unfortunately they are not that great.

She was painted using AK Interactives Real Color paint, an amazing paint (lacquer) that just goes on like a dream and gives you a superb finish.

The scheme is unusual and quite cheeky. The story goes….. this aircraft was involved in the “Pitch Black” exercise held in Darwin (NT Aust) in 1984 and while there suffered a bird strike whilst and had to be parked up while waiting for a new engine to arrive. Sometime when it was left alone (never a good thing to do on a RAAF base, trust me!   ), she was visited by some boy’s from 75 Sqn (RAAF Mirage squadron up there at the time) who decided to “Zap” her with their squadron flash, as you do.  A USAF Phantom squadron who was there at the same time also “Zapped” with a wee Phantom badge on the tail. Can imagine the response when the NZ boys saw it!

Thanks for looking, a link to the build is attached.

Model: Hasegawa 1/48th A-4E/F Skyhawk

Paint:  AK Interactive Real Color, and MRP, Tamiya Acrylics, Model Master Metalizer Lacquer 

Extras: 

Aires – A-4E/F Cockpit set 4280

Eduard – A-4E/F Exhaust Nozzle set 648251

Eduard – A-4E/F Mask set EX-023

Gekko Graphics – RNZAF A-4K decals

ResKit – A-4 Skyhawk early Wheel set RS48-0129

IMG_5749-XL.jpg

IMG_5750-XL.jpg

IMG_5751-XL.jpg

IMG_5752-XL.jpg

IMG_5753-XL.jpg

IMG_5756-XL.jpg

IMG_5760-XL.jpg

IMG_5763-XL.jpg

IMG_5767-XL.jpg

IMG_5766-XL.jpg

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Nice job Rich, in spite of your decal woes. The old girl does look good with the 75 sqn flash on her tail. I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall when they found it. :D

Steve.

• Haha 1

Dayam, Rich! That's one gorgeous Scooter! Love the colors and markings as well as the outstanding build quality. A shame you couldn't  get the 'zaps' on her! Kiwi's uber alles!

Mike

If you want to take a mighty fine model up one more notch  if you do another, IIRC the tailpanes of A-4's at rest were usually seen slightly nose down when the hydraulics bled off after shutdown...a former A-4 pilot/modeler shared that with me when I was building a 1/72 Fujimi A-4- it was a PITA to do, but it really enhanced the look of the model. There's just something about an A-4 in other than grey/white...

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Dayam, Rich! That's one gorgeous Scooter! Love the colors and markings as well as the outstanding build quality. A shame you couldn't  get the 'zaps' on her! Kiwi's uber alles!

Mike

If you want to take a mighty fine model up one more notch  if you do another, IIRC the tailpanes of A-4's at rest were usually seen slightly nose down when the hydraulics bled off after shutdown...a former A-4 pilot/modeler shared that with me when I was building a 1/72 Fujimi A-4- it was a PITA to do, but it really enhanced the look of the model. There's just something about an A-4 in other than grey/white...

thanks for that, I am planning to do an Israeli TA-4H or J in the future, so I will try and do that. I originally had the air brakes out, but read that they too slightly open after shutdown, so decided to pose them like that. You can't really close the air-brakes without extra work as their profile does not match the fuselage profile at all!  

8 hours ago, StarWarsModeler said:

I like the tarmac base! How you do that?

I cheated, it's from Zoukei-Mura. :D

On 5/5/2021 at 6:59 PM, trickyrich said:

I originally had the air brakes out, but read that they too slightly open after shutdown,

That's correct- they are either closed or very slightly open- good catch! If you want to do one with the slats up, there was a bungee cord that was frequently used to hold them closed- I think @Tailspin Turtle  had a description and photos of this on one of his Tailhook Topics blogs- you can look for it if you're interested; his blog site is a treasure trove for modelers who build USN/USMC aircraft. I get no compensation from Tommy- just a modeler who has relied upon the information on  his site for many years.

Mike

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

I do like that Rich,...... the model is beautifully built and painted and the zap`s bring it a level more,...... great modelling and a great story too,...... I`ve zapped a few aircraft in my time but that is well up there on the ballsy side,..... premiere league zapping for sure!!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 4:58 PM, trickyrich said:

A USAF Phantom squadron who was there at the same time also “Zapped” with a wee Phantom badge on the tail. Can imagine the response when the NZ boys saw it!

Hi Rich,

Very very Nice, - great job on NZ6202 :thumbsup:

To be honest I imagine the 75 Sqn boys would have outwardly Wringing hands, but inwardly

laughing about it - you know the Rivalry between We across the "Ditch" from each other :D

75 Sqn Personnel  would not have been so "Innocent" in any case.

I have a photo of two USAF Phantoms Zapped with a Red Kiwis on their tails, during an exercise in

New Zealand (Triad) (F4's based out of Kadena AFB Japan)

Here are a couple of A4K's in company of these Phantoms on a TRIAD Exercise 1976

OhG3599-76.t5fb70abd.m600.xMfb0VWV-.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

You may have these, additional photos of NZ6202 during her Operational life

OhC25-73.t5f40266b.m800.x0bGkfJZU.jpg

OhC328-84.t5f402555.m600.xoXPuEhxm.jpg

NZ6202 out for Bear :)

OhC505-85.t5eb09364.m600.xtc0LXu7b.jpg

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cracking job on that wee Kiwi Skyhawk Rich, always a popular subject to model and admire. You’ve done one hell of a job on what is a quite good base kit and the enhancements and superb quality of finish has lifted it to greater heights. Love the large bold zapping as well, that’s no quick respray! 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Rich,

Very very Nice, - great job on NZ6202 :thumbsup:

To be honest I imagine the 75 Sqn boys would have outwardly Wringing hands, but inwardly

laughing about it - you know the Rivalry between We across the "Ditch" from each other :D

75 Sqn Personnel  would not have been so "Innocent" in any case.

I have a photo of two USAF Phantoms Zapped with a Red Kiwis on their tails, during an exercise in

New Zealand (Triad) (F4's based out of Kadena AFB Japan)

Here are a couple of A4K's in company of these Phantoms on a TRIAD Exercise 1976

OhG3599-76.t5fb70abd.m600.xMfb0VWV-.jpg

You may have these, additional photos of NZ6202 during her Operational life

OhC25-73.t5f40266b.m800.x0bGkfJZU.jpg

OhC328-84.t5f402555.m600.xoXPuEhxm.jpg

NZ6202 out for Bear :)

OhC505-85.t5eb09364.m600.xtc0LXu7b.jpg

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

thanks for that Alan.

those are great photos of her. I would have liked to do another of her in her later scheme, just not sure if these decals will hold out or not!  

• Like 1