KLu F-104G nose sensor

bar side

Hi

Looking for some advice as to the sensor under the nose seen on Dutch Starfighters in the early 80s.  This example below shows it.  It seems to be black & cylindrical, but no idea what it is.  Any help appreciated!

51543_1415306250.jpg

I think that these lumps/bumps are part of a radar warning system applied to Dutch Starfighters late in their career [Thanks to Rob for his information that only Volkel-based jets received them]. It's not just the one fairing; there's two under the nose and one aft under the fuselage.

There are photos of the forward fairings in the walkaround images on this page - look about one-third of the way down the page (for the walkaround of D-8061. "...This particular aircraft has small fairings below the nose and tail for ECM antennas. Photographed July 2013 by Meindert de Vreeze (C) Copyright IPMS Nederland") and for pictures 81 & 83 in particular, which show the two forward fairings. I couldn't see one of the aft fairing.

Rob's already posted a link to his build and added better information than mine (I'm so slow to type these posts...).

Edit: Daco Productions also include these bits on one of their upgrade / improvement sprues in 1/48. Here's a cropped image from the Daco website with the ECM bits circled:

51158404651_c3ab1f32fa_o.jpgDaco F104sprue3C1g

Daco list these four pieces as 'ECM Holland' parts, which reminded me that the external evidence of the ECM kit wasn't just the fairings; an NACA-style intake on left-hand side of forward fuselage must have been part of this upgrade too. Check out photo 48 in the walkaround linked above.

Edited by Andrew
Additional information - Daco set sprue
  • Like 1

Thank you very much @Rob de Bie and @Andrew that’s great.  Looks like I need to scratch the front ‘lumps’ and carve in a small duct.  Still trying to see where that scoop will fit but I will have a good look at that walk around.  Mine is a 1/48 ESCI going to be 8062 so will need them fitted.

The ECM was indeed added only to the Volkel based 311 / 312 Squadron strike / attack and 306 Squadron recce birds, not to the air defence roled 322 / 323 Squadron ones at Leeuwarden.

The NACA intake that was added with the ECM updates was located behind the cockpit on the strike / attack jets, and lower on the fuselage on what used to be the cannon cover on 306's RF-104G's.

No TF-104G's received the ECM.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bar side said:

Thank you very much @Rob de Bie and @Andrew that’s great.  Looks like I need to scratch the front ‘lumps’ and carve in a small duct.  Still trying to see where that scoop will fit but I will have a good look at that walk around.  Mine is a 1/48 ESCI going to be 8062 so will need them fitted.

Long time ago I measured all these antennas. I will try to dig the sketches up.

Rob

Thanks guys.  That walk around site is good.  Found this which must be the rear sensor

8258-12.jpg

might have a go at that one too, although it’s tricky to know if they all carried it.  Not a frequently photographed view!

Thanks Rob.  I will have a rummage through the spares box to see if I can find something similar.

I have added some front lumps today.  The smaller one needs sanding down a bit but they are a start

MKFMORX.jpg