Airfix 1/72 Beaufort, No. 217 Squadron. What's right?

BobCNutt

I'm enjoying building this model. My first for many years. I'm following the Feb '41 217 Squadron scheme in the kit. 

This is what I think is right based on my research. Can someone confirm?

No bulges on wing trailing edge. These were added later in the aircraft's development. 

No rear-facing chin gun. I can't see these on any of the pics I've seen purporting to be aircraft from this squadron at this time. Apparently they were regarded as ineffective and frequently removed. 

No torpedo. 217 Squadron weren't trained in their use at this time and their aircraft were armed with bombs or mines.

Incidentally all these parts - bulges, gun and torpedo, are shown as present in the scheme. A bit misleading if they weren't present on the actual aircraft? 

I've already followed the "no wing bulge" path and the bomb bay is already set to receive its torpedo. I've enjoyed building these bits. So this is just to clear my thoughts and a reminder, perhaps, to be more thorough in completing my research before assembly, if going for historical accuracy, in future.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BobCNutt
Typo

• BobCNutt changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Beaufort, No. 217 Squadron. What's right?
14 hours ago, BobCNutt said:

I'm enjoying building this model. My first for many years. I'm following the Feb '41 217 Squadron scheme in the kit. 

This is what I think is right based on my research. Can someone confirm?

No bulges on wing trailing edge. These were added later in the aircraft's development. 

No rear-facing chin gun. I can't see these on any of the pics I've seen purporting to be aircraft from this squadron at this time. Apparently they were regarded as ineffective and frequently removed. 

No torpedo. 217 Squadron weren't trained in their use at this time and their aircraft were armed with bombs or mines.

Incidentally all these parts - bulges, gun and torpedo, are shown as present in the scheme. A bit misleading if they weren't present on the actual aircraft? 

I've already followed the "no wing bulge" path and the bomb bay is already set to receive its torpedo. I've enjoyed building these bits. So this is just to clear my thoughts and a reminder, perhaps, to be more thorough in completing my research before assembly, if going for historical accuracy, in future.

Thanks in advance.

217 flew the Mark I model exclusively between Feb 1940 and Oct 1941 ( after which it added Mk.II). The semi circular plates on the trailing edge of the wing behind the nacelles were to cure a turbulence problem. They began to be fitted from mid-1941 and were gradually fitted retrospectively to earlier aircraft. So an aircraft could appear without and then later with them. Does the profile date to the period you are modelling?

217 was not ready to fly its first torpedo operation until 8th July 1941. This was due to a torpedo shortage in 1941. During the Bismarck episode it was to have dive-bombed had the opportunity arisen.

Cant help with the chin turret other than to note that there is a photo of a flight of 4 of 86 sqn Beaufort I taken around 20 Aug 1941 which were all still carrying the chin turret and gun.

All info taken from Air Britain’s The Beaufort File.

• Like 2

Thanks Ewen

The scheme is from Feb 1941

I think I have it right. There are pictures of 217 Squadron Beaufort 1s online and none with the "sea pattern" or similar serials appear to have the chin turret/gun. It seems plausible that they could have been fitted later and then removed or not. 

You've confirmed what I thought about the trailing edge bulges. 

The torpedo? Again. That's what I thought. I'm going to fit it in any case though since I've set the bomb bay to receive it. Let's say it's being test fitted for some reason. 🙂

Edited by BobCNutt
Additional info

Actually, I didn't mean to post that. I was just experimenting with IWM images. They've changed how you can use their photos. I used to be able to post directly from their webpage and the images were a good size. Now, to get a good size, I have to save them onto my 'puter, then add them to my Flickr account.

If you click on the link below, you can see all of their Beaufort photos. Click on the images that interest you and you'll get a larger image with a caption down on the lower left side. Good hunting!

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Bristol Beaufort&pageSize=&media-records=all-records&style=image

Chris

• Like 1

A more detailed look at the IWM photos shows examples of Mk 1 Beauforts (MWE & MWB) from 217 St Eval carrying torpedoes in Jan 1942. So maybe the a/c in the scheme carried one later in its service...

Also, by this stage, I can see wing trailing edge bulges but still no chin gun. 

I'm new to this and, along with the model building, I'm quite enjoying the "detective work". 

Edited by BobCNutt
More info

Except. It went missing with all crew on return from its attack on the Admiral Hipper in February 1941. 😞

It seems for a historically accurate MWJ L9866, I'm back where I started

No bulges

No chin gun

No torpedo