On 24/05/2021 at 20:00, Pete in Lincs said:

I measured that circular part. 20cm. So, given the scale of 1/350, It would be 7 metres across. That's about 22 feet in old money.*

So plenty of room for shifting most cargo types. I imagine that it sort of telescopes out to touch the ground.

Given a matching receptacle on a larger ship, this could do ship to ship transfers in space too.

*Correct me if I'm wrong. I often am!

Oh alright, I'll correct you Pete, you seem to like it 😉 

I'm sure it would be much bigger if the circular part actually was 20 cm (which is centimeter, you know)... You must mean 20 mm.  I know these strange measurements are very tough to work with, so it's in fact 0.7874015748 of an inch. There, way easier isn't it? 😇

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

On the other hand 12 ft 6 ins. is rather less annoying and unwieldy to use than 3810mm.... or so I've found when measuring and cutting stuff in the 1-1 scale world !... ;)

Haha... well I guess that depends on the measuring tools at your disposal 🙂 

• Like 1

For smaller dimensions like when you use a digital caliper, I use mm measurements which are easier in that context... For large stuff, out in the world, I'll always use feet and inches as they're very intuitive for that and don't create crazy long numbers !

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

On the other hand 12 ft 6 ins. is rather less annoying and unwieldy to use than 3810mm.... or so I've found when measuring and cutting stuff in the 1-1 scale world !... ;)

I'm an old git (66+ and counting) and mostly use metric measurements these days.

I remember all the measurements we used at school in physics and maths were SI units, so I got used to measuring in metric from a relatively young age.

Cheers,

Alan.

14 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

For smaller dimensions like when you use a digital caliper, I use mm measurements which are easier in that context... For large stuff, out in the world, I'll always use feet and inches as they're very intuitive for that and don't create crazy long numbers !

True. For that reason, 3810 mm would translate to 3 meters and 81 centimeters in my 1:1 world. Basically the same but different names for different measurements. One is not better than the other I'm sure, it's just what your used to I guess. I have always wondered though, just curious, how do you express the small stuff in your 1:1 work? For example, I could come across a situation where I need to "cut this strip of wood to a width of 11 mm". 

Sorry @Pete in Lincs for the slight diversion 🙂 

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

True. For that reason, 3810 mm would translate to 3 meters and 81 centimeters in my 1:1 world. Basically the same but different names for different measurements. One is not better than the other I'm sure, it's just what your used to I guess. I have always wondered though, just curious, how do you express the small stuff in your 1:1 work? For example, I could come across a situation where I need to "cut this strip of wood to a width of 11 mm". 

Sorry @Pete in Lincs for the slight diversion 🙂 

For small stuff using a builders type tape measure ( which has both ins and mm side by side) I'd use whichever format fitted best into the dimensions I was looking at for that particular case, if you see what I mean.

I think feet are a good unit of measurement for general use, a meter is for me a bit large a unit, feet I find a bit more useful as a division.

Like Alan, I was a youngster in the feet and inches era, so they are in my head on that basis. I have worked on lots of things in the real world where I've had to use metric for everything coz everyone else was, however these days stuff I do is generally under my control and I use a mix of both as I illustrated before .

( I'm sure Pete won't mind a bit of 'low tech' discussion ! 👍 )

I'd be moist interested to know what system of measurements the Varubians used...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I'd be moist interested to know what system of measurements the Varubians used...

Maybe they measure in tails and scales... If they are of the lizard type... 

• Haha 2

Ah, erm, yes. A slip of the keyboard, (Probably) 20mm. Still about 22 feet though? 

I must measure the thickness of the fuselage to see how much headroom they've got inside.

Maybe I'll get time this weekend. The grass needs cutting again! etc etc.....

• Like 1

On 09/05/2021 at 19:11, Pete in Lincs said:

Thanks for the nice comments and for dropping in, Guys.

I managed to get a few hours in today, so here are the fruits of my labour. 

SdsYaeX.jpg

Not much to see here but P-38 car filler. But take my word for it, under that lot is a Gazelle and an F-18!

k91tMJf.jpg

This is easier on the eye though. A mock up of the front end (though it's the rear end of the F-18).

The big bulgy bits are Buccaneer Slipper tanks.  Part of a donation box from a fellow BM member. Thanks!

They, and the other bits, should make this thing look suitably Alien in form. (No, not that Alien. I still have nightmares!)

5K42n15.jpg

An overall shot. The large droptank half will go over the cockpit. And on the left, the mysterious Vaurbian FTL drive.

pjIQGvg.jpg

Okay, so it's a tiny plastic football. So sue me already! It should look mysterious/odd by the finish line. I hope.

There are more bits to be stuck on, and what you see is subject to change at no extra cost. Can't say fairer than that.

That's yer lot for today. Dinnertime came along and stopped play. Mmmm, Pie!

Thanks very much for looking in and I hope to be back with more very soon. Once I've rubbed all that P-38 down, anyway.

Take care, Pete

Well hello there butiful spaceship 🚀 looking very nice indeed . Stunning work there Pete.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2021 at 6:45 AM, francis van iterson said:

Stunning work there Pete.

Thank you Francis. I'm enjoying myself too!

Time for an update as I got something done.

7sWxQ82.jpg

DON'T PANIC! This hasn't suddenly become a Railway thread. I've got a couple of these, second hand, so disassembly took place.

The panels are a great shape for Sci Fi, As you will see....

sJffLrE.jpg

Not forgetting that the front of the ship is to your right. Do these panels fit in or what?

IDwhR9G.jpg

The back end. The grey shapes were Aircraft undercarriage. And of course, I've added greeblies here and there.

WWSguKJ.jpg

Greebly stuff. The engine/football got rubbed down, I quite like the effect, sort of alien brain.

SKkZukP.jpg

The forward panels are greebled too. Various tank bits and the yellow bits are the brakes from this wagon.

These new bits are only attached temporarily (Elmers), otherwise it complicates painting.

In other news, for enquiring minds out there I did more measuring. The cargo hold height is max 40mm. Width 45mm.

Useable space lengthwise is about 50mm* or so.  All in all a much bigger (and more useful) Freighter than the Millennium Falcon.         

Diameter of the two circular bits on the nose is about 20mm. But of course there is no control room as such. Scale is 1/350th,

Remove your socks, it may help to work out the full size. (I had to!)

Thanks, as always, for looking in, and keep the comments coming, always welcome. Pete

* I remeasured this, it's nearer to 80mm which scales up to 28 metres or around 90 feet.

• Like 14

45 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

( and hope you are feeling well at the mo ! 👍)

Exercise and (plenty of) good food is helping me to feel a bit betterer every day. Thank you very much.

I hope to get back to work towards the end of the month, if the Doctors will allow me to.

• Like 7

Nice use of those cement car bits, adds just the right detail.

I quite like the football/drive unit too. I'm rather hoping you leave the lines showing on it as I think it adds to the detail.

If this is a freighter will it carry advertising or company logos?

What colours were you thinking of?

It's not Evergreen Lines is it? ;)

Just curious, is all of your cargo carried internally or do you plan exterior cargo mountings?

The more you can carry, the more credits you can make off this thing!

• Like 1

I quite like those lines too. If I paint it an odd colour then the football connection shouldn't be too obvious.

Advertising? It's the Star Wars universe so probably not. Overall colour wise it's probably going to be various

shades of pale, but maybe with a slash of colour in one form or another. Some sort of I.D. marking perhaps.

My thoughts are, it's a spaceship. Out there, no one is going to see it, as such. But, when it lands on a planet to deliver, it needs an identity.

The cargo hold should be big enough to obviate external cargo. Besides, re-entry gets a bit warm. 

Yes, I know it's only Sci Fi but I like to be practical about these things.

I should get some time on it this weekend.

Thanks for dropping by, Guys. Pete

• Like 3

And he is back in the chair...nice to see you back Pete.

Your builds remind me of a cake mix, you start with a box of mixed ingredients and end with a sweet treat.....😉.

And to top it all a foray into the Star Wars realm, what is there not to like.

Cracking work thus far.....

• Thanks 1

Looks great, Pete.  It should be really fun to paint in the Star Wars style, with some jaunty chipped stripes.

There’s a new company out of Lancashire, called Archive X that sells paints (acrylics & enamels) that are colour matched to the paints used on the original Star Wars studio models. For me, however, they are priced way outside of my budget.

I’m glad to hear your feeling better

Edited by Photon
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Photon said:

For me, however, they are priced way outside of my budget.

Budget? Ha! I'm using Tamiya acrylics. Some of which I bought second hand at a car boot sale!

I'm probably somewhere in the first ten founders of shoestringmodelling.com. And lovin' it!

Can I really do chipped paint in 1/350 scale? Not sure. It's not your standard rebel ship either, so maybe not. 

I got more done today. The dabs of filler got rubbed down, a couple more greeblies got added and more primer got sprayed.

I also did some faffing about with the football drive unit. It looks more technical now. Pictures tomorrow.

@Head in the clouds. Cake mix? Yep, not far off. Throw it all in the pan and see what happens. Hopefully something tasty!

• Like 1