Airfix Whitley BOAC

Recently I've been working on Airfix's 1/72 Whitley Mk.V for the Unarmed Group Build, certainly one of my favourite builds. It's a joy to build, totally recommend it. I'll have to build another at some point, but probably with a bunch of etch in the cockpit.

Only issues were one small missing part which I easily made a replacement for (easier than bothering with Airfix spares) and there were holes for the aerials missing. The instructions tell you to drill some for the coastal command version, but there's no instruction or semi hollowed out bit to drill for one of the aerials that is needed for both versions. Also no hole for the pitot, easily fixed. This was replaced with a metal pin anyway, it just looks better than the plastic one provided.

IMG_20210504_153451569~2

IMG_20210504_153523913~2

IMG_20210504_153413848

IMG_20210504_153309472~2

IMG_20210504_153345911~2

And here's the cockpit.

Once I applied the map decal I wasn't happy with it at all, it just looked flat, oversaturated and out of place. So similarly to what I did with my Dambuster Lancaster last year I decided to replace it with paper. I cut the image of the decal from the instructions and used that instead. Airfix should just give a printed sheet of maps on paper to cut out and attach with a bit of pva or superglue or whatever instead of a decal. But this wasn't enough, so I made a book, perhaps a manual or logbook or something. Justwish I added seatbelts.

IMG_20210418_204806807~2

IMG_20210504_153424786

WIP thread here

• Like 65
  • Thanks 2

You`ve done an excellent job,..... I do like the Whitley in this scheme and bought one myself to represent the role they played flying in and out of Malta. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kev67 said:

Superb model in every way, nice to see a non bomber Whitley

Definitely glad I did something a little different with it, inspired by the Unarmed GB :)

5 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

That is both different and stunningly good.

Bravo

8 hours ago, Miko said:

Great job, highly competent result, very nice!

Never a pretty thing the Whitley! Looks like a caricature of itself

Miko (erm. . . ?)

I think the Whitley actually looks pretty nice, much better than the Wellington, although it's got nothing on the Manchester

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

You`ve done an excellent job,..... I do like the Whitley in this scheme and bought one myself to represent the role they played flying in and out of Malta. 

Cheers

Tony

Can't wait to see yours! It's a really good kit, enjoy it.

• Like 2

She's almost handsome in those colors and marking, Adam. That's one very nice Whitley and a  model of which you can be proud! BTW, what paint did you use for the undersides? One of the very best builds of the new Airfix kit I have seen...not a fan of that butt-ugly proboscis, but other than that, a pretty ole gal! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

She's almost handsome in those colors and marking, Adam. That's one very nice Whitley and a  model of which you can be proud! BTW, what paint did you use for the undersides? One of the very best builds of the new Airfix kit I have seen...not a fan of that butt-ugly proboscis, but other than that, a pretty ole gal! :like:

Mike

Thanks :) The underside is Vallejo Premium Airbrush Colour 68.048 Silver. It's nothing like their regular Model Air ones, airbrushes much nicer but can't be brushed on as well as the regular model air stuff

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Thats a fine looking Whitley with a lot of interior details, love the maps in the cockpit.

:thumbsup:

thanks :) Really is such an easy thing to do, technically the map is even from the kit since I cut it from the instructions 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done!  The interior detail just pops out at the eye, and the whole effect of the aircraft stunning.  Even without the map, you would have a contest-winner here.

Thanks :) I think contest winner is a bit of a stretch, you haven't seen this up close 😂

34 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Really great job on the Whitley. The civil registration nicely contrasts with the dull camo and the maps in the cockpit are a lovely little detail :thumbsup:

Cheers

Markus

Civvy reg is one of my favourite parts of this :)

• 9 months later...
On 04/05/2021 at 21:18, Adam Poultney said:

Recently I've been working on Airfix's 1/72 Whitley Mk.V for the Unarmed Group Build, certainly one of my favourite builds. It's a joy to build, totally recommend it. I'll have to build another at some point, but probably with a bunch of etch in the cockpit.

Only issues were one small missing part which I easily made a replacement for (easier than bothering with Airfix spares) and there were holes for the aerials missing. The instructions tell you to drill some for the coastal command version, but there's no instruction or semi hollowed out bit to drill for one of the aerials that is needed for both versions. Also no hole for the pitot, easily fixed. This was replaced with a metal pin anyway, it just looks better than the plastic one provided.

IMG_20210504_153451569~2

IMG_20210504_153523913~2

IMG_20210504_153413848

IMG_20210504_153309472~2

IMG_20210504_153345911~2

And here's the cockpit.

Once I applied the map decal I wasn't happy with it at all, it just looked flat, oversaturated and out of place. So similarly to what I did with my Dambuster Lancaster last year I decided to replace it with paper. I cut the image of the decal from the instructions and used that instead. Airfix should just give a printed sheet of maps on paper to cut out and attach with a bit of pva or superglue or whatever instead of a decal. But this wasn't enough, so I made a book, perhaps a manual or logbook or something. Justwish I added seatbelts.

IMG_20210418_204806807~2

IMG_20210504_153424786

WIP thread here

2 Whitley nearly at the same time, wow

Alain