Tim's VacForm Skywarrior - COMPLETED

Rejoining with this,  my final full VacForm kit.

Rare-Plane-KA3-B-Skywarrior.jpg

The initial sheet, having outlined the parts with an HB pencil.
03-Parts.jpg

And after some removal from the backing sheet.

04-Parts.jpg

This kit cost me £10 from Hannants in 1997.

This kit had no decals, so I've acquired this decal-sheet.  Going for that Coral Sea option.

02-decals.jpg

This build, in flight, no bumps and bulges.  As simple as possible.

The kit includes, but doesn't mention a blank canopy on the sheet, as well as two clear ones, so I'm thinking greyed-out.

Comparison build, I'm building a Hasegawa Skywarrior in UnarmedGB, planning to paint both together.

That's where you'll see an A-3 with undercarriage, cockpit, and all the bumps'n'bulges.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Note: my A3D canopies have yellowed, as did the one on my Rareplanes F3H (it’s more like brown now). I’m surprised to see that yours have not. I suggest that you use one of them to cast a mold so you can vacuform a replacement.

That solid canopy part already exists - bottom left of my parts photos.

Try posting in Wanted for VacFormed clear Skywarrior canopies - someone might have replacements and respond.

Slow start to sanding.  The amount of dust makes this an outdoor activity - which current weather isn't giving me much enthusiasm for.

Not a lot of difference to show, but an afternoon's sanding.

Today I used my electric sander on the kit's major components - considerably quicker than the Savage.

Tabs will be needed to help stick the fuselage together, and spars for the wings - it will all happen soon.

On 5/5/2021 at 10:21 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

Note: my A3D canopies have yellowed, as did the one on my Rareplanes F3H (it’s more like brown now). I’m surprised to see that yours have not. I suggest that you use one of them to cast a mold so you can vacuform a replacement.

I have heard of a trick that can remove the yellowing on white plastic but it involves using a 7% solution of hy7drogen peroxide and a UV lamp. That strong of a solution would have to be handlled carefully as its very hazardous.It was used to restore an old Millenuim Falcon toy that had yellowed from age. They put the part in a large clear container and covered it. Then placed the LED UV light on top and let it do it work for a few hours. Using regular peroxide might do the same thing but take longer. Its a experiment. I've wanted to try but don't have any plastic that's yellowed.

36 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

I have heard of a trick that can remove the yellowing ...

This is a technique that is used by enthusiasts of old computer like the the Amiga and Apple II to clean, refresh, and brighten the covers of these old devices. You will find quite a few videos on youtube demonstrating the technique. The 8 bit guy is one poster who has a few nice videos.  Involves hydrogen peroxide and in one of his tests rather than using a UV light he put his piece in a container covering with a translucent cover and then placed outside on a bright sunny day. 

However, I have never tried this technique.

cheers, Graham

On 5/4/2021 at 7:26 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Comparison build, I'm building a Hasegawa Skywarrior in UnarmedGB, planning to paint both together.

That's where you'll see an A-3 with undercarriage, cockpit, and all the bumps'n'bulges.

The Hasegawa one I built in the Vietnam GB was the EKA  and I gather you are doing the same one from a different boxing? It went together pretty well though I think it needed a bit of care getting the undercarriage correctly positioned. One word of warning - watch the alignment of the front left side ECM blister as it carries part of the refuelling probe. I put mine on before painting, and when I went to add the rest of the probe near the end of the build it did not line up so I had to prise the blister loose and re-align it.

Cheers

Pete

Just noticed you have already started a thread over in "unarmed" so perhaps I should have posted this there!

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Despite you saying you are not loving this one, don't you think it's a refreshing change, having to battle a kit into being?

I'm still struggling with my NA Savage build, but I'm enjoying it a lot. It will never compare with a state of the art kit, but it's my efforts to take Gordon Stevens efforts to completion. There's a satisfaction to be had there.

A click and fit kit has a different form of satisfaction, but it's good to get raw now and then.

Keep at it, it's looking good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One step back.  I've sanded a hole thru the fuselage, just behind the main undercarriage doors.

Hoping to fix it with ClearFix.

Anyway, pushing on,  I've created spars from steel rod.

08-Spars.jpg

Then fitted the wings.

09-Wings.jpg

You will have noticed that I fitted the blank cockpit. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I've sanded a hole thru the fuselage,

And that's never happened before- welcome to my world.

17 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Anyway, pushing on,  I've created spars from steel rod.

Bonus points for (unintended) pun about pushing steel rods through the fuselage..

You may not be feeling the love for it, but you're clearing lavishing care on it even so.

4 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

You may not be feeling the love for it, but you're clearing lavishing care on it even so.

I hate the thought of putting a healthy kit down.

Fuselage is like eggshell,  I'd never sanded thru like that before.  Anyway, repaired with Clearfix, then thickened up with Tippex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tim, despite the trials and tribulations, this Skywarrior is coming along very well. It was a good save with the unexpected hole in the fuselage area.

All the best, Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The whale is looking mighty fine there! I know the feeling of Accidentally knocking a hole in vac plastic, or worse have the plastic disintegrate just as you have it positioned and sanded just right. That's why most modelers think anyone who works with a vac is totally certifiable or better, yet  they dabble in some arcane mystical dark art to make a vac look like a "real", meaning plastic, airplane. Keep up the good work, you're doing great!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1