F-86D Sabre Dog question

atc1225

Good day,

I have just started a Revell F-86D and was wondering whether I could ask for some advise regarding this kit. I have the late style kit with the parachute housing below the fin. My question concerns the two "cannon/gun camera" port holes either side of the intake where the intake fairs into the fuselage. I have checked multiple reviews and work in progress reports but nothing mentioning these before. Do they need to be filled or are they supposed to be there. Are they perhaps only present on later K/L variants.

Found a picture at http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/our-staff/95-walk-around-aircraft-in-detail/418-naa-f-86d-sabre-dog. Please look at the head-on view.

Thanks for any help,

Regards,

Pierre

Edited by atc1225

Pierre,

The K was the only variant that had 4 20mm cannon; IIRC all of the D/L's did not, and the L was basically a D fitted with the F-40 long span, slatted wing and a data link antenna under the nose, but @Sabrejet would be the man with the plan! I'm just guessing that those two small inlets on either side of the intake might be for avionics cooling, as those old electronics put out a lot of heat, but Duncan would know for sure Thanks for the link, BTW- nice photos!

Mike

I don't think that black panel under the center of the intake in the photo you were asking about is a gun camera, but might be similar to the A-4 radar ranging unit used in the F-86F, with the radar ranging unit being used for the backup optical gun sight that was fitted in case the electronic E-4 fire control system of the F-86D went belly-up...I'm just guessing here, as I'm not even in the same galaxy as Sabrejet!

Edited by 72modeler
corrected text
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Pierre,

The K was the only variant that had 2 30mm cannon;

Mike

I was always under the impression, and backed up by published works, that the K had four 20mm cannon. :-

spacer.png

Dennis 

5 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

I was always under the impression, and backed up by published works, that the K had four 20mm cannon. :-

spacer.png

Dennis 

Only sabre that had 2 x 30mm cannon im aware of was the CAC sabre with a pair of Adens. Nice photo Dennis, always interesting to see what you have tucked away.

5 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

Yes, yes, yes- got my cerebrum crossed with my sphincter when I  posted that; I have amended my original post with the correct information. Can't believe I didn't proof the post before hitting 'submit reply!' Thanks for catching it! :sorry:

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atc1225 said:

Hi Sabrejet, thanks, but sorry if I seem confused why are they absent on some other Sabre Dogs? Look at this example.🤔

http://cyberplasticmodeler.blogspot.com/2015/05/aircraft-walkaround-vol47-north.html

The NMUSAF F-86D is a test machine, based on an early 50-FY airframe. The small intakes were introduced in production during F-86D-45 build and retrofitted to earlier aircraft. So you will find that early-standard machines may lack this feature. Also, being an 'exempt' airframe, the NMUSAF F-86D won't have incorporated many of the TO's that affected the in-service fleet. It also features a non-standard rudder trim tab which R-M managed to incorporate into their kit when they used it as the basis of their kit (plus the annoying early-standard instrument panel which isn't featured on most F-86Ds!) Grrr. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sture Carlsson said:

When the rocket tray on F-86D/L was in down position was there some kind of a hatch closing the bay ?

There was in fact a false skin, which replicated the contour of the fuselage skin when the tray was closed. I'll post some pictures in a bit :)

17 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Hopefully this gives an idea:

Jeez, Louise! That's more spaghetti than you'd see at an Italian restaurant! :giggle: (That's one incredible photo archive you must have, Duncan!)

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sabrejet,

Sorry for the long overdue reply, thank you very much for the excellent cockpit shots. I am awaiting my Eduard corrected instrument panel from Hannants,

Regards,

Pierre

• Like 1