F-4C Leading Edge Flaps/Slats Colour

shawty82

Hi folks

I'm building a ZM 1/48 F-4C and want to display it with the leading edge Flaps/Slats in the drooped position.

Having trouble finding detail pics of these when they're extended - is it safe to assume the interior area underneath them is the "usual" red, same as the Airbrake panel interior?

Thanks in advance

Tim.

@72modeller: the ones you provided are for a F-4 with extending slats, a F-4C has non-extending slats.

I went through several books but no clear pictures found. It seems that the vertical faces were always red. The transition between slat and wing seems to be a dark metallic or grey surface.

4 hours ago, Nebbor said:

a F-4C has non-extending slats.

Just goes to show how little I know about modeling weenie cookers built after the Korean War! Sorry for wasting the space.

Mike

Maybe these photos will be more useful?

https://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Phantoms/F4bits.html

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/304806-wolfpack-design-132-f-4-hard-wing-flaps-down-set-32024/

Technically, I believe the moveable leading edge devices on the F-4C/D are called maneuvering flaps, not slats, as there is no gap or slot between the devices and the wing leading edge when they are deployed, much like the F-5 and F-104,  as opposed to the slats on the A-4 and F-4E/F.

13 hours ago, Jabba said:

I know that British Phantoms  would be metal as they had the hot air ducts under there, but I am not sure of F-4Cs.

That is what I assumed too. The BLC system takes air from one of the engine compressor stages. Compressed air is hot, so unpainted would be my choice. Just finding clear pictures of that BLC surface to verify its color is hard.

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2021 at 5:10 PM, 72modeler said:

Technically, I believe the moveable leading edge devices on the F-4C/D are called maneuvering flaps, not slats,  ... .

Good links you provided, thanks. A little addition to your comments:

The leading edge flaps were just that -- leading edge flaps, not "maneuvering flaps". Initially there were three  LE flaps on each wing, but the inboards were later fixed in the up position.  As Nebbor pointed out, lowering the  leading edge flaps exposed the slots in the outboard and center LE through which 17th stage bleed air was "blown over the wings". That bleed air helped  airflow "stick" to the wings (delaying separation and reducing  turbulence)  which delayed wing stall, thus allowing slower landing speed. The trailing edge flaps had a somewhat similar BLC arrangement. All flaps were hinged at the wing bottom, so pivoted about that (piano) hinge as the flaps slid over the slotted metal sheet covering the BLC duct .

So for Tim:

>  You said you wanted to display the aircraft with the leading edge flaps in the "drooped" position -- if you lower the leading edge flaps, you also have to lower the trailing edge flaps ... to either 1/2 (30°)  or  full down, (60°). The ZM instructions don't mention the half flap position ... and don't be misled by the ZM note about aileron down deflection up to 30° -- the USAF models did not have 16.5° drooped ailerons like the USN.

> Check refs to determine if the airplane you are modeling had the inboard leading edge flaps fixed at the time frame you are depicting. Sorry, I don't have the tech order number or date when the airplane blocks were                modified/retrofitted.

> The areas exposed when the leading and trailing edge flaps are lowered are natural metal (high heat areas). The vertical edges of the flaps (excepting the outboard leading edge) are red as Creepy Pete showed above.

And lastly ...  depending on your degree of AMS (Advanced Modeler's Syndrome) ... . :hmmm:

> The ZM leading edge arrangement, due to molding limitations,  results in a step at the trailing edge of the flaps as well as the wing when the flaps are modeled down, as compared here to the real thing:

AHhuffo.jpg

Also note the compromised hinge point on the mid LE flap. The outboard LE and the TE edge flaps appear OK. 

The ZM kit is outstanding, in my opinion, and I look forward to your build, Tim. :thumbsup:

Gene K

• Like 3