F-4C Leading Edge Flaps/Slats Colour

Hi folks

I'm building a ZM 1/48 F-4C and want to display it with the leading edge Flaps/Slats in the drooped position.

Having trouble finding detail pics of these when they're extended - is it safe to assume the interior area underneath them is the "usual" red, same as the Airbrake panel interior?

Thanks in advance

Tim.

@72modeller: the ones you provided are for a F-4 with extending slats, a F-4C has non-extending slats.

I went through several books but no clear pictures found. It seems that the vertical faces were always red. The transition between slat and wing seems to be a dark metallic or grey surface.

I know that British Phantoms  would be metal as they had the hot air ducts under there, but I am not sure of F-4Cs.

Yes, they were red along the edges. This area would get pretty dirty, so a bright red would stand out a bit too much on a model, I'd say.

DTdc8Vl.jpg

Lxn9D9S.jpg

TchCCvn.jpg

UpPBhpU.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Nebbor said:

a F-4C has non-extending slats.

Just goes to show how little I know about modeling weenie cookers built after the Korean War! Sorry for wasting the space.

Mike

Maybe these photos will be more useful?

https://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Phantoms/F4bits.html

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/304806-wolfpack-design-132-f-4-hard-wing-flaps-down-set-32024/

Technically, I believe the moveable leading edge devices on the F-4C/D are called maneuvering flaps, not slats, as there is no gap or slot between the devices and the wing leading edge when they are deployed, much like the F-5 and F-104,  as opposed to the slats on the A-4 and F-4E/F.

Thanks for the links, pictures and thoughts guys, shall know how to proceed now when I get to the flaps stage 👍👍👍👍👍

13 hours ago, Jabba said:

I know that British Phantoms  would be metal as they had the hot air ducts under there, but I am not sure of F-4Cs.

That is what I assumed too. The BLC system takes air from one of the engine compressor stages. Compressed air is hot, so unpainted would be my choice. Just finding clear pictures of that BLC surface to verify its color is hard.