Meng Mk V Male tank

Main paint colour is Humbrol H26 which indoors has a marked brown hue but outdoors it looks much more green to my eyes,

no wonder we struggle to get these colours right.

Track colour is Mig Ammo `Burnt iron` straight from the bottle.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 31

I did edit my post asking it to be moved when i realised it was in the wrong area. but that edit seems to have gone.

Is there a way i can move my post or do i have to re-post?  

Nicely done.  The colour looks OK to my eye for Service Brown, generally accepted to be a greenish brown - as opposed to a brownish green.  The only known surviving original paint tanks for comparison are the MkIV in the Brussels museum and the MkVIII model at Bovington, possibly also the Medium A at Brussels.  Although the paint has now had over a century of environmental exposure.

Das Abteilung thanks for the feed back on the colour, i`m certainly pleased with it. I may post an image of it alongside a Whippet i made about a year ago

which was much more green in colour, think i went with Mig Ammo`s `Green Moss` just to see how the colours look in comparison

9 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Nicely done.  The colour looks OK to my eye for Service Brown, generally accepted to be a greenish brown - as opposed to a brownish green.  The only known surviving original paint tanks for comparison are the MkIV in the Brussels museum and the MkVIII model at Bovington, possibly also the Medium A at Brussels.  Although the paint has now had over a century of environmental exposure.

It certainly does look OK. This effect is what we tried on the poelcapelle tank.

The Brussels museum has bad ambient light to do a decent study.

• Like 1

It's a MkIV replica tank with some compromises for the modern drivetrain, notably large final drive bulges inside the rear horns. There are only 18 WW1 rhomboid tanks in the entire world in any condition, none of them any longer running.  Far too precious and virtually impossible to support.

A number of replicas have been built.  The War Horse MkIV Male now owned by Bovington.  The "Guy Martin" MkIV Female owned by the Norfolk Military Museum.  The Poelkapelle tank.  One in new Zealand owned by the film producer Peter Jackson (a real WW1 nut and former owner of the Wingnut Wings kit brand).  Bovigton also has a replica A7V.

The truth about Service Brown is that no-one actually knows what colour it was with any accuracy apart from the century-old paint in Brussels and Bovington, both discoloured.  There was no colour codification and no manufactured mixed paint.  IIt was batch-mixed for immediate use.  The dry-mix pigment recipe still exists in the Handbook For Artificers 1915 edition, now impossible to replicate as it relies on White Lead.  Modern white pigments give a diferent outcome as they do not yellow.

The general consensus is that the pigment mix would end up looking something like the WW2 SCC2 Brown, which had similar pigmentation, but a bit greener.  To my eye this model captures it well.

Purley for interest i have added some photos of the MKv along side the Meng Whippet (real good)

As mentioned before the Whippet`s main colour is Mig Ammo Moss Green.

P1160337.JPG

P1160342.JPG

• Like 4

The Mark V looks really good. I know the tendency is to assume the Whippets were green, but I haven’t found any contemporary references, I wonder if it was simply a greener tone of the service drab/brown/khaki. I suspect I would pick green too from a contrast point of view, a counterpoint to the brown heavies. I really like the way the H26 tends to a greenish Brown, much better in that respect than H29which is firmly Brown.

Das Abteilung, thanks very much for the info.

Steben i had a google on the Poelkapelle tank, very impressive, what a great project.

06/24, got to love that H26 ! 

Edited by mylo66
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 06/24 said:

The Mark V looks really good. I know the tendency is to assume the Whippets were green, but I haven’t found any contemporary references, I wonder if it was simply a greener tone of the service drab/brown/khaki. I suspect I would pick green too from a contrast point of view, a counterpoint to the brown heavies. I really like the way the H26 tends to a greenish Brown, much better in that respect than H29which is firmly Brown.

H29 is actually not bad at all. Especially for real tanks. Scale models are simply another piece of cake -> are they inside in artifical light or not etc?
The Poelkappele tank is very close to H29 rather than H26. But outside in the sun this becomes orange and in cool light greenish. Very large spectrum there....
And frankly we had discussions lately here about how greenish or brownish the original paint on the model is at Bovington. The repainted mk IV itself is indeed close to H29 / dark earthish and the model slightly browner. So there you go....

Edited by Steben
  • Like 1

Totally agree, they’re all in the right ballpark depending on prevailing light conditions etc, I’m happy with H29 on my Mark IV supply tank, but might try H26 on any future build.

On 06/05/2021 at 23:39, Das Abteilung said:

It's a MkIV replica tank with some compromises for the modern drivetrain, notably large final drive bulges inside the rear horns. There are only 18 WW1 rhomboid tanks in the entire world in any condition, none of them any longer running.  Far too precious and virtually impossible to support.

A number of replicas have been built.  The War Horse MkIV Male now owned by Bovington.  The "Guy Martin" MkIV Female owned by the Norfolk Military Museum.  The Poelkapelle tank.  One in new Zealand owned by the film producer Peter Jackson (a real WW1 nut and former owner of the Wingnut Wings kit brand).  Bovigton also has a replica A7V.

The truth about Service Brown is that no-one actually knows what colour it was with any accuracy apart from the century-old paint in Brussels and Bovington, both discoloured.  There was no colour codification and no manufactured mixed paint.  IIt was batch-mixed for immediate use.  The dry-mix pigment recipe still exists in the Handbook For Artificers 1915 edition, now impossible to replicate as it relies on White Lead.  Modern white pigments give a diferent outcome as they do not yellow.

The general consensus is that the pigment mix would end up looking something like the WW2 SCC2 Brown, which had similar pigmentation, but a bit greener.  To my eye this model captures it well.

I've seen many old mixes written down, but haven't seen that 1915 recipe. Is that another one with umber + lead white?
Slightly greenish compared to SCC2 (or a resulting battle dress colour) is exactly what we've done with the Poelkapelle tank.
36717200_1020495111432988_76585596380984

• Like 1

Yes it is umber and white. The Handbook contains a range of colours including a green. I got my facsimile copy from Abe Books, but I had the last 2 they had in stock at the time. Unhelpfully it says that mixes may be varied to suit local conditions.

• Like 1

Lovely work on the Mk V & Whippet. Regarding the colour, I think the consensus of opinion is that there's no consensus of opinion! So  long as it looks right.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1