Mr Bean Revell Mini Cooper 1/24

I've had this kit in the stash for a few years now, along with the paint that I wanted to use with it, and I've finally got around to start building it. 

IMG_20210502_152640

So I am going to paint the car as Mr Bean's Mini.

The paint for the body is British Leyland Citroen Yellow from Zero Paints and the bonnet will be a gloss black.

I've started with the body. There was a small amount of flash, so that was tidied up.

As Mr Bean's car was a later model I removed the external door hinges

IMG_20210503_162114 IMG_20210503_162954

The engine bay had some ejector marks, so I filled those in with some liquid green stuff. 

IMG_20210503_180202

Lastly for now, I've primed all the parts ready for painting in body colour, which will hopefully be tomorrow. 

IMG_20210503_194041

Jeff. 

Edited by Roo
  • Like 5

• Roo changed the title to Mr Bean Revell Mini Cooper 1/24

After far too little sleep thanks to a night shift, I thought I'd quickly airbrush the zero paints Citroen Yellow that I had ordered for this a long time ago, back when my kids liked Mr Bean. 

Once all the body colour panels were painted and was dry enough, I noticed a few problems with the body that I did not see before.

There were a few scratch marks that must have been caused by going to hard keying the plastic with a too course micromesh cloth, and the other problem being that parts of the external door hinges are still showing where I must not have cut enough of them out. 

Due to life, I am not going to have a lot of time to strip the paint and sort it all out, so I am going to this build as a learning curve to improve my techniques and see where I go wrong. 

IMG_20210504_092113

IMG_20210504_092118

IMG_20210504_092144

IMG_20210504_092218

If I fancy to try and build Mr Bean's Mini again at a later time, I have more than enough paint left over and a Tamiya mini kit to use (which is a far nicer kit than the Revell version anyway).

I'm not sure how I am going to clear coat it, as I'm not going to be able to use 2k for a while, so it's either aerosol enamel/acrylic, Halfords car clear coat, or Humbrol clear eithe lr through an airbrush or hairy stick.

I also had a problem with the airbrush where the paint would start coming out as soon as the button was pressed, instead of when pulling the lever back so I need to sort that out too. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roo said:

I also had a problem with the airbrush where the paint would start coming out as soon as the button was pressed, instead of when pulling the lever back so I need to sort that out too. 

Looks good so far, as for the minor scratches Mr Beans mini never struck me as a Concours vehicle so they be in keeping with the theme.

Reference the airbrush spluttering the most common cause of this if you have a double action brush (but by no means the only one) is when you stop spraying you release the trigger in the wrong sequence.   You should move the trigger forward to stop the paint first and then turning off the air.  If you do this the other way round paint is sent to the nozzle with not enough air to atomise it so it stays on the tip of the brush, it is this bit of paint then comes flying off in one globule when the air is next applied.  Hope this makes sense - Andy 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Reference the airbrush spluttering the most common cause of this if you have a double action brush (but by no means the only one) is when you stop spraying you release the trigger in the wrong sequence.   You should move the trigger forward to stop the paint first and then turning off the air.  If you do this the other way round paint is sent to the nozzle with not enough air to atomise it so it stays on the tip of the brush, it is this bit of paint then comes flying off in one globule when the air is next applied.  Hope this makes sense - Andy 

It makes sense and that is what I was aiming to do, but unfortunately that was not the problem.

My problem is that it is spraying paint when the lever part of the double action airbrush is at rest, but the button is down, so it should it should be spraying just air. 

I guess it is a set up issue but I've not used it for a while so I'm quite rusty with it all. 

Interesting idea for a build, shall watch with interest!

Could you possibly give me the part number for the Zero Citron Yellow paint, been wanting some of that for an MGB build, but can't find it on Hiroboy's site. 

Keith

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Interesting idea for a build, shall watch with interest!

Could you possibly give me the part number for the Zero Citron Yellow paint, been wanting some of that for an MGB build, but can't find it on Hiroboy's site. 

Keith

I bought it under their custom paint mixing service a few years ago. They say they can mix almost any paint since 1970

All you need is the car, paint code and year.

They give you access to the paint company they use to search for it. 

The paint bottle is labelled up as

CITRON YELLOW/GREEN

BLMC

BLVC 73 (I think this is the paint code) 

I tried finding it on their supplier site, but with no luck for some reason. 

If you still have no luck there is always getting a touch up pen and thinning, or an aerosol can made up from a car paint supplier. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Roo said:

Did you have any luck with the paint? 

Haven't tried to get any yet tbh Roo, so many other unfinished projects to get to first. I did find a touch up paint on ebay that works out about the same price as getting some from hiroboy.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

After a few weeks off thanks to life, I've managed to do a bit more.
Looking at a photo I took at Beaulieu motor museum of their full size Mr. Bean Mini, it has a gloss black bonnet and a clasp and hasp lock on the door. While on the TV show, it has a matt black bonnet and a brenton bolt lock on the door.
I've decided to follow the TV show for the bonnet, so I painted it in enamel matt black. I may give it another coat tomorrow depending on how it dries.
I'll decide what style lock to do later.

IMG_20210523_194225

I've also made a start on the interior. On the TV show, the interior is black, so I've kept that. I've used a dark grey, rather than a black carpet, if only for some contrast

IMG_20210523_194953

Lastly I've mostly done the engine. I've ignored most of the engine painting instructions as it's supposed to be a much later car anyway.

IMG_20210523_194904

I'm on nights next week, so I should hopefully have a few quiet hours each day to get it finished, apart from the gloss coat on the body.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 4

On 5/4/2021 at 6:18 PM, Roo said:

It makes sense and that is what I was aiming to do, but unfortunately that was not the problem.

My problem is that it is spraying paint when the lever part of the double action airbrush is at rest, but the button is down, so it should it should be spraying just air. 

I guess it is a set up issue but I've not used it for a while so I'm quite rusty with it all. 

I had a similar issue recently that was caused by a bent airbrush needle allowing the paint to flow freely.