Airfix 'Vintage Classics' 1/24 Spitfire Mk.1a - Decals?

Johnson

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know what markings (decals) come with the new release of the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk.1a?

a12001v_1_supermarine-spitfire-mkia_pack

The original 1970 boxing had Al Deere's KL-B 'Kiwi' of 54 Sqn and LO-B 'BOGUS' of 602 Sqn.

As far as I can find out, the new release has DW-K and QJ-B, which seems a bit of a swiz considering what's on the cover.

Thanks

Looks to be the same as the original @Johnson, however there’s some type of caveat regarding the use of the Kiwi logo. Click on the link and open up the Spitfire kit images. 

https://www.modelwereld.eu/en/model-construction/aircraft/scale-124/airfix-a12001v-supermarine-spitfire-mkia

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gheh.. the store running that site is pretty close to where I live :)  The owner has done personal deliveries here :D

/ot

The A12001A boxing is DW-K / QJ-B.  A12001V (vintage) is Al Deere's.

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps.

Oddly the Airfix site gives the schemes as DW-K and QJ-B.

https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mk1a-a12001v

And also odd, the decals in the link Dave posted doesn't include the name 'BOGUS' for LO-B, which they used to and it's the Spit I'm interested in. I don't think I'm on a winner here. :huh:

That's confusing indeed.  The date stamp on the scheme pictures does say  A12001V 0320 in the lower right corner, which would match the release/production dates.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Johnson said:

And also odd, the decals in the link Dave posted doesn't include the name 'BOGUS' for LO-B, which they used to and it's the Spit I'm interested in. I don't think I'm on a winner here. :huh:

Hard to make out, however what is decal #49 on the paint and decal guide? Looks to be where the ‘Bogus’ lettering should be, however I can’t quite make it out on that decal image. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Hard to make out, however what is decal #49 on the paint and decal guide? Looks to be where the ‘Bogus’ lettering should be, however I can’t quite make it out on that decal image. 

5 hours ago, alt-92 said:

It might be the barely visible white bit in the lower right corner next to the P9390 reg... 

You're absolutely right Dave and Alt92! It's there in white. I should have looked at the colour diagram more closely, not the preceding profile that doesn't show the name (for some reason)...

supermarine-spitfire-mk.ia-airfix-a12001

And the decals seem to have the top wing roundel in the correct size.

BUT! (this modeller is never satisfied :P), there have been conflicting interpretations of the colour of the name 'BOGUS'. The Ducimus book Camouflage and Markings included a profile of LO-B and said the name was white. But others, including the old decals in the 1990 Airfix 1/24 Spitfire release and Eduard in their new 1/48 'Spitfire Mk. I early' kit 82152, have BOGUS in MSG, which looking at the only pic of this area I agree with. I suppose it could be white, but it doesn't quite bright enough to me.

y4mB5P4-20Ur2T88Afa5Xgr3mMoAp4EnBnlWV2hW 

Be great to model - with Cpl McFarlane (A Flt 602) holding on to the wing!

Cheers,

P.S.

I wonder what the name of the Spit in the background was? Lost forever I suspect.

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought the kit. I now have an answer to my original question...

On 5/3/2021 at 9:55 PM, Johnson said:

Does anyone know what markings (decals) come with the new release of the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk.1a?

They are definitely for KL-B and LO-B despite what the Airfix website and most sellers are saying. And they look fine... mostly.

Airfix even seem to have looked at the photo of LO-B and got the size of the (non-standard) wing top roundels about right.

y4mB7HT4Wcz3Odl1OPNEf4s_A8WImhPqzt12ezMF

However decal 49 for the name 'BOGUS' under the windscreen is is printed in white and is only 5mm long, which would be about right for 1/72. Oh well.

The colours of the decals are OK. The blue & red roundels are quite dark compared to previous releases of the kit;

y4mfdSQ1ENwQsYsweKwxDpc3w7rLPvmC9MACo4Tj

Both the red and the blue of the latest decals look slightly dark in comparison to the Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats which make good reference colours. Picture taken in natural light (by a window, cloud covered sky).

I'm looking forward to making LO-B 'BOGUS' at some point in the future, it will be a good companion and a bit different to my current Battle of Britain 1/24 build.

Cheers,

• Like 1