F-15C/D Eagle markings/stencils

Filler

I’m trying to figure out when USAF F-15s switched from the yellow hexagonal No Step markings to black. I assumed it was when the stars and bars went from full colour to black outlines, but I just can’t find any photos from that mid/late 80’s period that show the upper surfaces in a high enough resolution. Looking at 57th FIS aircraft, I also get the impression that the transition from hi-vis to lo-vis markings was not that clean with some lo-vis stars and bars but hi-vis TAC badges in aircraft.

If anyone knows the answer or knows of a good reference for Eagles of the era then I’d be very grateful.

I do not know the answer but I do have pictures from that time period that show the upper surfaces in enough detail to show these markings...

Among these are pictures of 1st TFW aircraft taken in 1988 that still feature yellow stencils. At the same time pictures of ANG aircraft taken in 1985/86 seem to show black stencils. All have black outline national markings while the tail markings differ from unit to unit

My feeling, based on these pictures, is that the stencils went black around that time. It is possibile that ANG aircraft had received a repaint before being assigned to their new units and with the repaint they received lower visibility stencils. Again I should state that I'm only trying to reach some conclusion based on these pictures, hopefully others may know more

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mid to late 80s is probably as exact as you can get.  Each jet would update to the newer markings as it went through it's regularly scheduled repaint (about every year or year and a half).  Additionally the different commands had different standards for the command/wing/squadron badges.  TAC retained them in full color while PACAF and USAFE went to black or gray outlines.  For the original question, it's a safe assumption that if the rescue markings and star and bars on the nose are all black, the same was true of the "NO STEP" markings.  

Regards,

Murph

• Thanks 2