Revell Audi R10 ALMS 2007

Started on the engine, first with the rocker covers. They are a bit soft in detail and also a bit vague.

011 (2)

Not sure if I've finished on these: I may shave off the fuel rail inlets. Mmm.

011 (8)

Then put on the basic block:

011 (9)

Then finally given a quick fit into the engine bay. Revell have omitted a great deal of componentry in here, so there will be quite a lot of scratch-building. Note also that I've shaved off those lower wishbones; being silver plastic, the ghost of the removed items still shows.

011 (20)

• Like 7

One part of the kit which needs attention is the wheel detail, so I ordered Le Mans Miniatures' R10 wheel set, which also comes with correct representations of the brake disc & conformal ducting. The LMM parts are shown at top with the kit equivalents below: 

012 (6)

The brake parts are especially worth the expense:

012 (9)

And this shows how LMM got it right and Revell must have guessed:

012 (1)

And incidentally, the Kevlar-faced inner panel and the wheel arch fairing panel at top left are neither provided in the kit! Once you get into it, you realise just how much is missing.

So back to the engine. The R10 diesel is a direct-injection engine and so has very prominent fuel rails which feed directly to each cylinder. Strangely, these are not symmetrical from bank to bank, so the left-hand side looks very different to the right-hand. There is obviously a reason for this though I can't think of it at present. The fuel pipes were bent from 0.4mm brass rod:

014 (1)

Each injector body then has an electrical trigger wire, and a low-pressure return. At this point it starts getting busy!

014 (5)

And this shows how the fuel pipe arrangement differs greatly between LH and RH:

014 (7)

014 (9)

Still a way to go, but getting there. To paraphrase a saying I recently heard, "I'm 90% finished with about 90% left to do". 

• Like 8

This looks great. To echo the sentiment already shared, and much deserved: the gearbox is a very neat bit of work. You've really given life to that whole engine.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

After a while on the shelf of shame, this one is on again! I have in fact nearly completed it and didn't take any WIP photos after these, which show removal of the moulded-in rear suspension wishbones:

016 (1)

016 (3)

Next shots should be the RFI...

• Like 2