Jump to content

Tortoise A39 (1/35 Meng) "Tinkerbell"


Recommended Posts

I've really enjoyed doing this one. Very nice model to make. Other than the fiddley running gear everything is a breeze. Even the tracks are fine since they are huge! I wanted to show this thing off with some sort of purpose since the only pics are the test P1-P6 ones which were pared down with little in the way of gear on the outside.

The experimental element of this kit was the camo netting which sort of went how I wanted it to and I must give a big thanks to @Das Abteilung for the donation of the scrim and also inspiration from his build. 👍🏻 I thought I'd add a few bits to the back and made a crate for all the gear. All bar the jerry cans and flimsies are scratch built. The two straps on the rear near side and jerry are scratch plus a few other bits and bobs and I added the aftermarket side loading hatch. Taking inspiration from how Churchills were in WW2 I removed the central track covers and replaced with wire mesh. As in keeping with British armour of the time I also added a mantel cover which I think finishes her of nicely. There are a few pics of one of the actual test units sporting a cover so....

This was also my first go with dry decals from Archer. I have to say I'm a fan. Oh and a first serious go ate brush chipping. I went a little over the top but with most things modelling I soon realised that less is more. I'm rather chuffed with myself on the restrained mud weathering. Well done me 🤓

 

Set in about 1948 this little cutie would prowling around the German - Polish border looking for anything big and Russian! The crew have a keen sense of irony and conscious that this is a bit of a big girl so she needed a little help in the wardrobe department in the way of Camo netting.

 

20210503_172201

 

 

20210503_172212

 

20210503_172236

 

20210503_172247

 

 

20210503_172255

 

20210503_172328

 

20210503_172340

 

 

20210503_172349

 

 

20210503_172403

 

 

20210503_172412

 

 

20210503_172428

 

20210503_172437

 

20210503_172452

 

20210503_172458

 

20210503_172516

 

20210503_172533

 

I think she looks pretty suitably  intimidating

20210503_172553

 

20210503_172623

 

 

20210503_172639

 

20210503_172726

 

 

20210503_172747

 

20210503_172834

 

And for size comparison!!

20210503_174137

 

The WIP is here - 

 

 

Thanks for looking all

 

Andrew

 

 

  • Like 44
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, this turned out fantastic! Paintjob, weathering, all the details, that camo netting.... all first class. And it looks terrifying, like a swamp monster :)

 

Cheers,

Nenad

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, APA said:

Well done me 🤓

 

Well done you indeed Andrew. I love the way that has turned out, there is a lot to like.

The way you have weathered it is just right, the mantlet cover and camo nets look very authentic and the accessories are the icing on the cake. :clap2:

 

Wayne

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

a stunning build on all levels , everything looks just right  , i love the crews sense of humour with the name

                                                                                                                                                                      ian

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Wow, this turned out fantastic! Paintjob, weathering, all the details, that camo netting.... all first class. And it looks terrifying, like a swamp monster

 I second what Nenad said, a fantastic job, and yes Tinkerbell the swamp monster would look terrifying to all other tanks... and put the fear of God into most bridges as well :thumbsup:

 

 Plus a thoroughly enjoyable build log during what has been a very boring lockdown, you deserve credit for that ;)

 

 Matt

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Intimidating. And that's just the model!

 

Brilliant work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Followed your build in the WiP and was really impressed. Now with the final details and the cam net it is out of this world! Really well done, I love it.

George

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too followed this build, and was very impressed with it. I'm even more impressed with the way that it has turned out. Cracking job.

BTW. If you have an art suppliers near you, go and get some of their art board. Sheets of card about 3' X 2' that you can use to take the photos on without getting any joins or seams in the shot.

 

John.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WOW! That really is an awesome looking beast! And your modelling skills and additional work have really taken it to the next Level! Exceptionally well done! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ijs302 said:

a stunning build on all levels , everything looks just right  , i love the crews sense of humour with the name

                                                                                                                                                                      ian

Thanks Ian

 

22 hours ago, Cerberus said:

 I second what Nenad said, a fantastic job, and yes Tinkerbell the swamp monster would look terrifying to all other tanks... and put the fear of God into most bridges as well :thumbsup:

 

 Plus a thoroughly enjoyable build log during what has been a very boring lockdown, you deserve credit for that ;)

 

 Matt

Thanks Matt, Glad I brightened your days 😁 and yes the swamp monster otherwise known as the bridge buster 😂

 

21 hours ago, IanC said:

Intimidating. And that's just the model!

 

Brilliant work. 

Ha ha! Thanks IanC

 

18 hours ago, Carius said:

That is one very nicely finished tank,  it really does look superb.

 

Cesar.

Tah Cesar

 

17 hours ago, TheOxley said:

Nice...looks like a beast!

Thanks Oxley

 

12 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Followed your build in the WiP and was really impressed. Now with the final details and the cam net it is out of this world! Really well done, I love it.

George

Cheers George. Glad you liked the WIP.

11 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I too followed this build, and was very impressed with it. I'm even more impressed with the way that it has turned out. Cracking job.

BTW. If you have an art suppliers near you, go and get some of their art board. Sheets of card about 3' X 2' that you can use to take the photos on without getting any joins or seams in the shot.

 

John.

Thanks John. Thanks for the tip. I think I usually use A3 sheets but couldn't find them. I'm pondering printing a generic background on A3 but we'll see.

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

WOW! That really is an awesome looking beast! And your modelling skills and additional work have really taken it to the next Level! Exceptionally well done! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you very much Stix

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I cannot be one of the first to write about a good model, then there is nothing to write about - others have already said everything, so I have to agree with them.

All that remains is to congratulate you on the superb model. 

 

Vytautas

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

If I cannot be one of the first to write about a good model, then there is nothing to write about - others have already said everything, so I have to agree with them.

All that remains is to congratulate you on the superb model. 

 

Vytautas

Thanks vyautas. Appreciated 😁

 

Andrew 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Model Mate said:

I thoroughly enjoyed your build, and the end result is simply fantastic - it looks like it weighs a ton!

It actually does! 😂 I'll weigh it tonight for you 😁

 

Andrew 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...