Sardaukar's tank, AFV and wheelie thing factory

6 hours ago, Yg Models said:

Tiran 5 looks similar to T54 family?

52037213993_2d87751876_w.jpg

Tiran is what Israel designated T-54/55/62 tanks they captured during their wars with the Arabs. Israel refitted captured tanks with western guns, radios etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, badger said:

The Tiran has turned out very nicely indeed. I've been building the Tamiya 1/35 one and really must finish it off.

Look forward to seeing it and anything else in the T-54/55 family.

On 14/10/2021 at 02:16, sardaukar said:

Hello peeps.

I managed to get some more time on the Tiran 5 this week and I'm pleased with progress so far.

AVvXsEjMOKpzyDAlbVWcNBB7ct2VqrHUeGfoVVCY

AVvXsEh9-D1vKT_UXXo-7_V03iScO9ndSFL-eGpm

AVvXsEh8XxoQIiOkhclGg_1dJhWHHbLG_f5xiQS-

AVvXsEh4eJVufQv5tKb-mzTyPARUhbhF-SP0XYMB

AVvXsEixpMTE0shBtftQT7izkBng6Nv-ocMncTwt

The OMSh tracks from the Ammo kit are now on, this didnt go too badly and I think it may have been a single link less than fitting them to the Ammo T-54, I did not use the Ammo jig. The ammo kit has a ton of spare links which I used on the turret etc.

The top hull is now attached, Im still working on the headlights and guard and trying to replicate the changes the IDF made. I made a bit of a mess filling the holes for the headlight guard, to be cleaned up. Tow cables still to come.

I'm quite pleased with the turret so far, I went with the mantlet from the PST kit. I'm largely basing the build on the Tamiya Tiran 5 instructions which has the commanders hatch reversed, removing the Trumpeter's command hatch and putting it back on in reverse was a bit tricky and Im surprised it worked as well as it did, I did have the hatch from the PST kit to use as a spare.

All the white turret furniture parts are from the ACE Tiran sprue, which needed major clean up and some adjustment to fit properly. 

That's the Zedval barrel, I wanted it to be sitting almost flat, however the play in the turret ring and the weight of the barrel drag the front down, although I have a few ideas on how to fix this.

The green jerry cans are of course from the Italeri T-55 kit (I got a few of these kits when they were 10 quid at Jadlam)

Scratch built copper wiring and micro strip detailing.

Now for the turret, I am thinking about improving the two antennas, will it be washing up brush hairs or something else....

But the main question is how many browning machine guns will it get and how to mount them, and where will they come from.  I still fancy having the coax .50 cal and two .30 cals, one for the loader and one for the commander, the ones from the ACE Tiran sprue dont look too sharp, but it does have mounts which maybe useable. I do have some resin ones, or maybe another kit.

I am missing fire extinguishers, anyone know a good source? 

Cheers and thanks for looking in.

Really good work.

• Like 1

Hello folks

Getting my Tiran 5 finally finished got me thinking to finish some of my 'project' boxes, as I usually build and paint in sub assemblies these days, I dont add as many built models to the shelf of doom.

Instead I have a growing number of boxes like these starting to collect dust, so I'm going to make an attempt to get some of these done. I'm posting this here an attempt to motivate myself. A bit of a personal KUTA build.

PXL_20220814_201400801.jpg

A resin kit of a French ARL-44, looking dusty, I started this for the French fancy group build last year, the build stopped when I couldnt get the paint to stick due to the resin mould release. After 2 attempts to clean it and respray it ended up getting left in soapy water for several months. which did the job, it still needs finishing.

PXL_20220814_201442714.jpg

A vespid comet ready for painting, I really struggled with the PE for the antenna mount and sight on this. They are held together currently with a large blob of superglue, to be addressed, soldering 🥴?

PXL_20220814_201531901.jpg

A trumpeter T-80BV, I wanted to do this as a Ukrainian tank with Pixel/Digital camo, exact method of execution I havent decided, masks or decals? 

PXL_20220814_201624691.jpg

An academy dragon wagon, no real reason why this stalled.

PXL_20220814_201724374.jpg

A Takom Chieftain.

PXL_20220814_202303530.jpg

A trumpeter Challenger 2 I was doing for the big and British group build, I went on holiday and then caught covid missing the end date...

PXL_20220814_202339937.jpg

A Dragon challenger 2 with dozer blade I was also doing for the B&B group build, reason same as above.

PXL_20220814_204041737.jpg

A Dragon Churchill with a Gun Carrier conversion. Resin is a bit more challenging than plastic combined with superglue is evil stuff.

There are others kicking around such as an Enigma T-55 and a kit bashed Tiran 6. But enough to be getting on with.

Cheers

Calum

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• sardaukar changed the title to Sardaukar's tank factory - A personal KUTA

Wow Calum. Invoking Roy Batty...."Gosh, you've got some really nice toys here." I will very much enjoy seeing some of these projects move to completion. Some very interesting vehicles. Especially that ARL 44. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sardaukar said:

But enough to be getting on with.

I know just how you feel - over 20 on the shelf and more boxed..................................

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yg Models said:

dragon wagon feels so long, plan to load which tank on it?

good question, I have a hasegawa chaffee I finished last year which would go well. Or a king Tiger, there are some interesting pics of a captured king Tiger being loaded onto a dragon wagon out there, breaching its weight tolerance I'm sure.

4 hours ago, xebec said:

Wow Calum. Invoking Roy Batty...."Gosh, you've got some really nice toys here." I will very much enjoy seeing some of these projects move to completion. Some very interesting vehicles. Especially that ARL 44. 

haha, yeah my hobby room is a bit like Sebastian's collection of half made toys.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been made on the mighty ARL-44

PXL_20220824_174927422.jpg

Think I will leave it relatively unweathered, the museum fresh look.

Something different. I've been distracted by my Japanese WW2 tank project which is to build every WW2 Japanese tank kit in 1/72 out there. The Japanese group build rekindle my interest in this.

PXL_20220824_175102155.jpg

From left to right.

2 S-models Type 97 Te-Ke tankettes one with only a machine gun as the main armament. I messed these up I had tried to airbrush on the yellow disruptive stipe that early WW2 Japanese camo is known for but messed up badly. So I stripped them with some biostrip20, which is actually not too offensive, they are ready for undercoating again. For a while I bough second hand gamesworkshop stuff from ebay and stripped it with Dettol, I really don't recommend doing this, the biostrip is a huge improvement. 

An IBG Type 94 Te-Ke Tankette base coated 

A Dragon Late Production Type 97 Chi-Ha

An IBG Type 1 Chi-He

A 3D printed Type 1 Ho-Ni 1 tank destroyer

A Dragon Type 4 Ke-Nu

All in various stages of finish these are out of the box builds hence the almost production line, I've been experimenting with different Japanese paint sets from Meng, Hataka and Vallejo. 

Cheers Calum 

• Like 5

i am interested in Type 94 Te-Ke & Type 1 Ho-Ni, but the 2nd is 3D print 😟

about Type 94 Tankette, Takom has a very high quality 1/16 ver 👍, i reviewed the molding of it in local shop before. maybe you could get and paint it 😘

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yg Models said:

i am interested in Type 94 Te-Ke & Type 1 Ho-Ni, but the 2nd is 3D print 😟

about Type 94 Tankette, Takom has a very high quality 1/16 ver 👍, i reviewed the molding of it in local shop before. maybe you could get and paint it 😘

Can you get IBG kits in Hong Kong? IBG have 4 different Type 94 Te-Ke boxings in 1/72. Smallest tank in 1/72 I have built. The japanese used the Type 94 as a tractor for pulling loads so IBG has one that comes with two trailers which looks nice.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ibg-models-72045-type-94--1029996

If I was ever going to do a 1/16 kit I guess the Type 94 would be the one to do as it is small. Fine molds do a 1/35.

The Ho-Ni is not available as a kit in 1/72 so I bought mine from a 3d printer so it is really a war gaming piece. Fujimi have a 1/76 kit I was going to try and convert one from a Dragon Chi-Ha but I dont have any spare Chi-Ha's around and they are difficult to get hold of now. Tamiya do an interesting Ho-Ni in 1/35 with 6 figs.

• Thanks 1

I like the way you're thinking, so much so that I'd like to pinch the idea using my mountain of doom and a long unloved thread. Maybe two actually as many are aircraft...

You've got some interesting projects there and you may find THIS useful. 😉

Lovely job on the Tiran too. I think the ARL44 was a parade vehicle so kept pretty immaculate - for show purposes only 🤣 That's another very nice finish.

Off to edit at thread now.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

You've got some interesting projects there and you may find THIS useful. 😉

Haha, I could add a few more to this, although some aren't as big a deal for an armour modeller.

38 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Lovely job on the Tiran too. I think the ARL44 was a parade vehicle so kept pretty immaculate - for show purposes only 🤣 That's another very nice finish.

Thank you and very good point on the ARLs, there was only 60 made and not sure they ever saw action.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

Thank you and very good point on the ARLs, there was only 60 made and not sure they ever saw action.

Just checked with my brother - according to my late uncle in the French armoured corp they were used in a couple of Bastille Day Parades to impress the population, as backdrops for graduation ceremonies, the occasional road run (mainly to keep drivers current), and every year a few would be taken to the ranges so all crews could take turns in them for their gunnery qualification. Apparently reliability was appalling so mileage was kept low and local. Makes you wonder how they intended to deploy them if the balloon went up...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

Just checked with my brother - according to my late uncle in the French armoured corp they were used in a couple of Bastille Day Parades to impress the population, as backdrops for graduation ceremonies, the occasional road run (mainly to keep drivers current), and every year a few would be taken to the ranges so all crews could take turns in them for their gunnery qualification. Apparently reliability was appalling so mileage was kept low and local. Makes you wonder how they intended to deploy them if the balloon went up...

Didn't they ditch their war booty panther tanks and replace them with basically a French version. I know the Panther was not that reliable but you have to wonder if the ARL-44 was worse.

3 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Can you get IBG kits in Hong Kong?

can't, even takom, vespid, etc are small brands in HK, especial in 1/72 scale. 😂

90% of the model shops are selling products by bandai, tamiya, wave, hasegawa, koto, etc. that kind of japanese brands.

go get 1/16 Type 94 will be much easier than finding 1/72.🤔

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yg Models said:

can't, even takom, vespid, etc are small brands in HK, especial in 1/72 scale. 😂

90% of the model shops are selling products by bandai, tamiya, wave, hasegawa, koto, etc. that kind of japanese brands.

go get 1/16 Type 94 will be much easier than finding 1/72.🤔

you need a good model shop in Europe.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/catalogue/

has a huge selection, UK based

https://www.emodels.co.uk/model-kits

possibly a bit cheaper also UK based maybe not quite the choice

https://jadarhobby.pl/

based in Poland could be cheaper.

there are plenty others but these are ones that came to mind and that I have used.

of course I have no idea on postage etc, probably not any worse than buying from Japan.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Didn't they ditch their war booty panther tanks and replace them with basically a French version. I know the Panther was not that reliable but you have to wonder if the ARL-44 was worse.

We think the ARL-44 had a German engine so spares and such may have been difficult. It did a Maybach HL230 - enough said. The Wikipedia page is worth a read. Starting with this they picked up quite quickly which was likely a relief to French Officers faced with the humiliation of foreign equipment. Awesome main gun though.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, sardaukar said:

these are ones that came to mind and that I have used

thx for your info. i checked their price. for those brands i usually bought, it is already 30%~100% higher than shops in HK, if counted additional postage, the price became ... 😵

they are nice online shops if live in UK, just similar to hobbyeasy in HK.

Edited by Yg Models
  • Like 1