Sardaukar's tank, AFV and wheelie thing factory

29 minutes ago, echen said:

I just started the ibg Cromwell. Upper hull and turret is not too bad but the running gear is garbage. Wished I had gone for the old Revell version. That said the obg 1/72 Scammels are a real treat with lots of great detail.

ibg kits run the range from very good to not so good. I really like the Japanese tanks they do and the a9 and A10 cruisers aren't bad. I have a scammell tank transporter to do at some point.

the revell Cromwell is an excellent kit, I have  few in the stash, there is a recent world of tanks reboxing if you can get it marked down. I'm planning building a charioteer at some point using one.

I built the ibg centaur which has only one sprue different and wasn't too impressed compared with the revell kit. I did get some aftermarket running gear for the Cromwell but not built it yet. over on missing lynx there is a detailed comparison between the ibg and revell kits which might help.

Edited by sardaukar
lynx not lunch

55 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

he revell Cromwell is an excellent kit, I have  few in the stash, there is a recent world of tanks reboxing if you can get it marked down.

The re-boxed Revell Cromwell has some really weird decals designed for "World of Tanks" but the IBG kit has alternative markings I could use on the Revell rendering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, echen said:

The re-boxed Revell Cromwell has some really weird decals designed for "World of Tanks" but the IBG kit has alternative markings I could use on the Revell rendering.

I bought a second hand revell Cromwell kit from eBay which was fine except missing it's decals. I used some Cromwell decals from armourfast instead, although any British armour kit from this period could have appropriate decals. and then there are quite a few aftermarkets decals too.

Revell Cromwells come up fairly often on ebay.

• Thanks 1

On 23/11/2022 at 08:59, sardaukar said:

I see jadlam have the zvezda T-72 B3 on pre order, at a pretty eye watering price for a 1/72 tank.

After my last debacle with jadlam I have 2 on pre order from elsewhere, yes it’s a price hike to what earlier kits cost, but in general kit costs seem to be on the rise across the board, with old Revell moulds hitting the £20 mark (although they can still be found cheaper at some places) the new Vespid Centurion is also £26 odd and many of the newer releases also around the price. I don’t mind so much, because I know the quality of Zvezda will be worth it in the long run, their Pantsyr was £35 but the it’s not much smaller than the S 300 kit so yeah? On another note Trumpeter are also creeping up in price with £40 for the SA 4 and about the same for the FROG 7 when it comes, interestingly Hobbyboss have the new 2S19 MSTA M2 out at around £15 which I think is cheaper than the original release. The S models BMP 2 was £20 (although you do get 2) whilst I love them, they do require some work to become display models. 
seems like modelling is not immune to inflation unfortunately ( I’m sure there are other factors involved such as taxes and oil prices)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Old pro said:

After my last debacle with jadlam I have 2 on pre order from elsewhere, yes it’s a price hike to what earlier kits cost, but in general kit costs seem to be on the rise across the board, with old Revell moulds hitting the £20 mark (although they can still be found cheaper at some places) the new Vespid Centurion is also £26 odd and many of the newer releases also around the price. I don’t mind so much, because I know the quality of Zvezda will be worth it in the long run, their Pantsyr was £35 but the it’s not much smaller than the S 300 kit so yeah? On another note Trumpeter are also creeping up in price with £40 for the SA 4 and about the same for the FROG 7 when it comes, interestingly Hobbyboss have the new 2S19 MSTA M2 out at around £15 which I think is cheaper than the original release. The S models BMP 2 was £20 (although you do get 2) whilst I love them, they do require some work to become display models. 
seems like modelling is not immune to inflation unfortunately ( I’m sure there are other factors involved such as taxes and oil prices)

yeah it's true prices are on the up, but I do think when you compare zvezdas modern stuff with their ww2 stuff they really jack up the price. The t-72 is also likely to be very fashionable. there are also like you say much more reasonably priced new kits.

Regardless I'll probably fork out for one.

for Asian stuff I usually buy from hobbyeasy and will buy about 10 kits at a time. import taxes can be a bit hit or miss depends what they put on the docket and if it gets stopped or not. you need a good number of kits to make the shipping reasonable per kit. their international rates have gone up.

looking forward to see some completed T-72 B3s, hopefully one being mine :)

16 hours ago, Old pro said:

seems like modelling is not immune to inflation unfortunately

yes, price increased a lots. But i feel price of AFV kits is in reasonable range.

if you also build japanese kits or GW miniatures, you will find their price rise at least 40% within 2 years.😂 And most of the japanese kits are stock up by reseller at pre-order stage, you need to pay extra 20% to buy it from them.😫

Edited by Yg Models
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, sardaukar said:

yeah it's true prices are on the up, but I do think when you compare zvezdas modern stuff with their ww2 stuff they really jack up the price. The t-72 is also likely to be very fashionable. there are also like you say much more reasonably priced new kits.

Regardless I'll probably fork out for one.

for Asian stuff I usually buy from hobbyeasy and will buy about 10 kits at a time. import taxes can be a bit hit or miss depends what they put on the docket and if it gets stopped or not. you need a good number of kits to make the shipping reasonable per kit. their international rates have gone up.

looking forward to see some completed T-72 B3s, hopefully one being mine :)

There has always been a price difference between the WW2 and Modern stuff from Zvezda, (although not as pronounced as it is) I always thought that this was due to the modern kits being more intricate and actual kit rather than the click together WW2 models, don’t get me wrong, the WW2 stuff is nice in themselves and fairly accurate but simpler kits to build. £36 for the Pantsyr, £26 for the T 72B3, the older modern kits have also risen in price between £15-17, which is a shame as they used to be around £12 and so cheap enough to buy for spares and bits, the S 400 is still only £23, interestingly Jadlam are selling the WW2 Zvezda kits for twice the price on eBay! £20 as opposed to the £10 you can buy in stores or £12 on their own website.

The one good thing about the price hikes is that it has made me prioritise what I actually want and not just buy kits cause I think ooh yeah! and then not build them! You have to look for a silver lining 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yg Models said:

yes, price increased a lots. But i feel price of AFV kits is in reasonable range.

if you also build japanese kits or GW miniatures, you will find their price rise at least 40% within 2 years.😂 And most of the japanese kits are stock up by reseller at pre-order stage, you need to pay extra 20% to buy it from them.😫

I think GW kits were always overpriced, luckily my son can now buy his own so I am not constantly building and painting them anymore 😂😂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Old pro said:

The one good thing about the price hikes is that it has made me prioritise what I actually want and not just buy kits cause I think ooh yeah! and then not build them! You have to look for a silver lining 😂😂😂😂

When I look at my stash I would agree, exwife would've melted down by now :D.

On 23/11/2022 at 08:34, echen said:

I just started the ibg Cromwell. Upper hull and turret is not too bad but the running gear is garbage. Wished I had gone for the old Revell version. That said the obg 1/72 Scammels are a real treat with lots of great detail.

Worth knowing,  thanks, as I've just had a Centaur dozer arrive. Luckily I have a Revell kit I started to convert years ago using a white metal set meant for wargaming, so that could donate the running gear and tracks.

• Like 2

@badger The IBG wheels are only held on by the tracks. There are no axles. The lower hull sides are just flat plastic! There are no details on the inside of the tracks and perforations all round the tyres like earlier cruisers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reminded me I did some comparison pics although none of the running gear, I was looking at the turret detail mainly I found the hatch details to be pretty disapointing.

IBG centuar vs Revell Cromwell.

1643560078415074-0.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

Worth knowing - thanks as probably an easier option than OKB tracks and wheels. Tank models stuff is nice as got several of their wheel sets and the Bedford upgrade.

29 minutes ago, echen said:

@badger The IBG wheels are only held on by the tracks. There are no axles. The lower hull sides are just flat plastic! There are no details on the inside of the tracks and perforations all round the tyres like earlier cruisers.

Bit like their Crusaders - luckily with those the OKB wheels are a direct fit to the kit rear wheels

19 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

Reminded me I did some comparison pics although none of the running gear, I was looking at the turret detail mainly I found the hatch details to be pretty disapointing.

IBG centuar vs Revell Cromwell.

1643560078415074-0.png

Weird as some of the hull details look quite nice.

I probably have enough of the Revell kits to only be interested if IBG do more of the non gun tank varients

• Like 1

On 03/12/2022 at 18:15, echen said:

Just had a look at my Centaur dozer and the tyres do have the holes around the rim on both the individual wheels and the one piece wheel/track section. No detail on the inside of the tracks, which I can just about live with on the dozer as it will be pretty dirty.

I'd hestitate in buying the gun tank version though.

• Like 1

In between working on the armoured car and halftrack group build, I've been working on several S-Model Panzer 1 & 2 Variants. Panzer 1 & 2 aren't well covered in 1/72 where S-Models step in.  No messing around just straight out of the box builds.

I have a bit of an obsession with Panzer Grey at the moment and early WW2 is the place for that.

I have the ammo panzer grey modulation set so that is them all painted in the Dunkelgrau Grey Dark Base will try a few different shading and weathering approaches.

PXL_20221207_221907042.jpg

• Like 3

On 08/12/2022 at 10:41, Muchmirth said:

The shape of the early panzers is pretty appealing and the grey does give you loads of room for weathering.

they don't get as much love as the big cats or even the 3 and 4s but still very cool vehicles also ironically the real blitzkrieg was done with these small beasts backed up with horses and carts.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year if its still allowed to say that 12 days in.

After spending 3 weeks somewhere sunny and then having to get my head round being back at work in cold London (yeah I know poor me), I needed to get some modelling done again.

So I was looking for a quick build and I landed on this, before off course completing anything else in flight.

Modelcollect Soviet TOS Heavy Flame Thrower System, the kit is a 3 in 1. Which allows building either the TOS-1, TOS-1A ( both T-72 base) or a TOS-1A on a T-90 base.

I decided to go for the TOS-1A on the T-72 base which seems to have been the most common variant in recent events.

I've just built this straight out of the box and it is my first Modelcollect kit, moulding quality seems to be a bit mixed, but it does come with a ton of extras which you will see below. However strangely it doesnt come with the correct hull back plate for a T-72, but I managed to source it from a T-90 kit which has 3 unneeded ones, weird. 

PXL_20230112_232635633.jpg

Ready for priming not seen here but it does come with a metal lower hull, I will paint in sub assemblies.

PXL_20230112_232656498.jpg

However now we have the left over parts.

PXL_20230112_232758205.jpg

I love spare parts and this kit has plenty, I have quite a few more modelcollect kits of the T-72/90 Series, so I imagine they may come in handy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• sardaukar changed the title to Sardaukar's tank factory - 2023 restart

An update on the TOS-1A, I've been looking at more reference photos from Ukraine and there does seem to be various examples of both T-72 and T-90 hull variants. But anyway we have a T-72 based Variant.

PXL_20230117_213528859.jpg

Sub assemblies painted with a dry brush highlight. I painted the tracks on the sprue starting to regret that a little bit. Gluing them together with CA doesn't allow for the same jiggle around ability you get with plastic cement as edges soften to make sure of proper alignment, if that makes sense. :mental:

Was waiting for the CA to cure before proceeding to build the track around the idler.

PXL_20230117_213600429.jpg

PXL_20230117_213649932.jpg

There is some strange creasing in the plastic from the mould on the side of the launcher, I figured it would add more surface variation so didn't attempt to fix.

PXL_20230117_213701016.jpg

The brick like bath tub hull. Only the back plate is plastic and has options. I do wonder if all Modelcollect T-72/90s use the same diecast mould it is actually nice enough for detail. However it will chip easily, and it has had an airbrushed coat of Mr Surfacer 1200 and the Tamiya Matt black thinned with Lacquer thinner and the a layer of Vallejo model air on top. Plastic was only primed with the Tamiya matt black. Ive started to experiment a bit with Tamiya paints and lacquer thinner and the results are good although not as friendly to the lungs and nose.

PXL_20230117_213708904.jpg

A view of the hull built as a T-72, the glacis plate, drivers hatch and exhaust seem to be the only differences within the kit. I dont know the accuracy of this and to paraphrase the youtuber Herbert Erpaderp 'I'm not a T-72/90 surgeon'.

Cheers

Calum

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sardaukar said:

An update on the TOS-1A, I've been looking at more reference photos from Ukraine and there does seem to be various examples of both T-72 and T-90 hull variants. But anyway we have a T-72 based Variant.

PXL_20230117_213528859.jpg

Sub assemblies painted with a dry brush highlight. I painted the tracks on the sprue starting to regret that a little bit. Gluing them together with CA doesn't allow for the same jiggle around ability you get with plastic cement as edges soften to make sure of proper alignment, if that makes sense. :mental:

Was waiting for the CA to cure before proceeding to build the track around the idler.

PXL_20230117_213600429.jpg

PXL_20230117_213649932.jpg

There is some strange creasing in the plastic from the mould on the side of the launcher, I figured it would add more surface variation so didn't attempt to fix.

PXL_20230117_213701016.jpg

The brick like bath tub hull. Only the back plate is plastic and has options. I do wonder if all Modelcollect T-72/90s use the same diecast mould it is actually nice enough for detail. However it will chip easily, and it has had an airbrushed coat of Mr Surfacer 1200 and the Tamiya Matt black thinned with Lacquer thinner and the a layer of Vallejo model air on top. Plastic was only primed with the Tamiya matt black. Ive started to experiment a bit with Tamiya paints and lacquer thinner and the results are good although not as friendly to the lungs and nose.

PXL_20230117_213708904.jpg

A view of the hull built as a T-72, the glacis plate, drivers hatch and exhaust seem to be the only differences within the kit. I dont know the accuracy of this and to paraphrase the youtuber Herbert Erpaderp 'I'm not a T-72/90 surgeon'.

Cheers

Calum

Hate to tell you, the tracks are back to front🤫 all TOS 1As are based on T 72 hulls, where I think Modelcollect got the T 90 version from is the fact that in some vehicles the newer tracks are used or they have the same engine as the T 90 but the hulls are 72s. I have had this one part finished for years wondering whether I should sort out the front end, but that would require a Revell hull so it’s still sat in a box feeling sorry for itself.