Sardaukar's tank, AFV and wheelie thing factory

4 hours ago, Yg Models said:

thx for your info. i checked their price. for those brands i usually bought, it is already 30%~100% higher than shops in HK, if counted additional postage, the price became ... 😵

they are nice online shops if live in UK, just similar to hobbybase in HK.

I'd only use them for stuff I couldn't buy in Hong Kong or even from Japan if I were you.

• 4 weeks later...

My Japanese WW2 tank project grows.

The main addition below being a Type 89 however Ive progressed most of the others to the point of final weathering, that is rust, grime and dirt.

Latest group phot showing both early and late colour schemes.

PXL_20220918_232124480.jpg

• Like 7

Hello

I've gone through an uncharacteristic productive patch, evidenced by the IJA project in the previous post, however like a neurotic cat chasing squirrels I've been all over the place.

The last few days I've been recovering from keyhole surgery on my left knee, this is a first for me so its also the first time I have been on the kind of painkillers that you can only get on prescription. These are also the kind of painkillers that have killed my interest in most recreational activities with the exception of painting for some reason.

So with time on my hands stuff has gotten done.

The Caunter Project

Ive been meaning tor try painting a Caunter scheme in 1/72 for a while now and was eying the shelf of doom for suitable guinea pigs.

I found two.

First up is an S-models Matilda, I suspect the exact model is maybe a bit late for Caunter.

PXL_20220920_202618473.jpg

This is quite far into the process and that is a Matt clear coat drying on it, decals are from various sources.

PXL_20220920_202634803.jpg

A Mirage M3, I suspect this might be actually too early a model for caunter, it still has the sponson machine guns and no side skirts and was one of the first batch sent to the British by the Americans. Above is it after all the layers of masking.

And the masks come off.

PXL_20220920_205956683.jpg

PXL_20220920_205948438.jpg

Ive just spotted an error in my masking for the pattern origin point on the rear deck, it should be fixable some other clean up required too.

I recently got a new airbrush and the painkillers seem to have made me brave enough to try free handing some basic camo. It is an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS, I have to say using it is a much better experience than my now spare airbrush. Anyway to test I used it on the following Italeri SdKfz 231 6 Rad. This is a very early war German Camo, Dunklebraun over Dunklegrau which according to some sources was standard but because the dark brown shows pretty much the same as dark grey on black and white pics it doesnt quite get the 'fame' it should.

It was nice to build something with wheels instead of tracks for a change, still plenty to do.

PXL_20220920_202703072.jpg

thanks for looking.

Calum

• Like 6

That's some progress and no mistake. I had keyhole for my right shoulder - loved the painkillers - may need more when I see the physio in a couple of weeks. You may find it difficult to concentrate at times, I've got stuff at different stages so always something for the mood I'm in.

That 6-wheeler camo looks very good and rather different from the usual nice choice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

That's some progress and no mistake. I had keyhole for my right shoulder - loved the painkillers - may need more when I see the physio in a couple of weeks. You may find it difficult to concentrate at times, I've got stuff at different stages so always something for the mood I'm in.

That 6-wheeler camo looks very good and rather different from the usual nice choice.

Thanks

The painkillers were great although they messed with my sleep and I didnt care :). Anyway the good stuff is gone now and normal service seems to have been restored :sleeping:.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back to my normal pace of work, and I've finished the 6 Rad, bit of an issue with the Matt varnish pooling round the wheels, but not overly noticeable. I should've kept the turret separate to the end.

I have a bit of an aversion to weathering recently, being reluctant to wreck my previous work by slapping enamel weathering products and pigments on the model. But practice is the way forward, I think.

PXL_20221004_174847233.jpg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, sardaukar said:

I have a bit of an aversion to weathering recently, being reluctant to wreck my previous work by slapping enamel weathering products and pigments on the model. But practice is the way forward, I think.

Me too. One puts truck-loads of effort into cam schemes etc.

I find paranoia sets in the moment I start thinking about weathering.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done with these two Caunter experiments. I've had the Vallejo Caunter kit for ages and it was about time I used it on something.

First up the S-models Matilda 2, I quite like s-models kits although some are better than others, and it is the only option for a few British subjects that is still available new. The worst thing about the S-model Matilda is probably the tracks which are pretty basic given the level of detail elsewhere this is a bit disappointing.

Anyway almost done after slapping on some enamel effects and pigments. I think I did the better job on Caunter on this one, although there was some bleed under the masking tape.

PXL_20221013_203445691.jpg

PXL_20221013_203436779.jpg

Next the Mirage M3 Light Tank 'First Hundred'

There is a lot of very fine parts on this kit that are easily broken coming off the sprue, during clean up and then easily knocked off the model. If you look closely you will spot missing parts. The Mirage plastic is a bit on the brittle side, I have a few more of their kits in particular a British Grant.

I didnt quite nail the origin point of the Caunter on this tank but it will do and it has had the same weathering treatment as the Matilda.

In the last post this tank had the sponson machine guns and like the real thing I decided to remove these and put the armour plate over the holes. I broke one barrel during weathering.

No side skirts on this model which seem to be the norm on British tanks but we will go with it. Rubber band tracks not great but they do take superglue well although the paint and weathering peeled off in chunks as I tried to fit them, I had to remove two links on each track and could probably remove a third, Tracks are needing some clean up before I call this done.

PXL_20221013_203512843.jpg

PXL_20221013_203506803.jpg

Decals are what I could scrounge from other kits mainly an old esci matilda 2, just whatever looked good really.

• Like 7

On 05/10/2022 at 14:57, echen said:

Me too. One puts truck-loads of effort into cam schemes etc.

I find paranoia sets in the moment I start thinking about weathering.

I find it easier on subjects I have less of an attachment too, so easy on a quick OOB build but on something like my recent Tiran that I spent a lot of time on the modelling side with kitbashing and detailing etc I'm more reluctant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Old pro said:

What’s the Matilda like against the Esci/Italeri version?

I haven't actually built the Esci Matilda, it is sitting in the stash possibly going to get a 'brick wall' camo at some point.

taking a look they are fairly similar dimension wise although the s-models kit may be an millimetre or two longer but difficult to say without it being built. The main difference I would say is the running gear but as it is mainly hidden on the Matilda, not such a big deal. While being highly simplified on the s-models kit it is still quite detailed, but the esci kit has you building bogies.

They represent different marks so not sure what impact this has. The tracks are very different although I did do a bit of research and there was a very simplified type of track although not quite as simple as the s-model kit.

The area around the drivers hatch and vision ports is where some of the biggest differences are, which is the most correct not sure.

I haven't seen a detailed comparison on the internet and it was an OOB build for me although some comments I've seen suggest the ESCI/Italeri kit is the best. They come up on ebay fairly regular.

10 hours ago, sardaukar said:

I haven't actually built the Esci Matilda, it is sitting in the stash possibly going to get a 'brick wall' camo at some point.

taking a look they are fairly similar dimension wise although the s-models kit may be an millimetre or two longer but difficult to say without it being built. The main difference I would say is the running gear but as it is mainly hidden on the Matilda, not such a big deal. While being highly simplified on the s-models kit it is still quite detailed, but the esci kit has you building bogies.

They represent different marks so not sure what impact this has. The tracks are very different although I did do a bit of research and there was a very simplified type of track although not quite as simple as the s-model kit.

The area around the drivers hatch and vision ports is where some of the biggest differences are, which is the most correct not sure.

I haven't seen a detailed comparison on the internet and it was an OOB build for me although some comments I've seen suggest the ESCI/Italeri kit is the best. They come up on ebay fairly regular.

I already have the Esci version (built but never finished) in a box with all my other WW2 British stuff, never looked to deeply into the accuracy of it but from what meagre references I had apart from a few minor niggles seemed fairly accurate. I wondered whether mixing and matching the two? but that may be something for the CS version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yg Models said:

S-model's 1/72 AFV sold out very fast, i saw several wanted AFV restocked in hobbyeasy.com, plan to order in Oct, but they already of stock again...😂

S-models kits are a bit hard to come by, hobbyeasy is the cheapest but as you say they don't always have the full range. We can buy direct from China using ebay or AliExpress but that is a lot more expensive.

11 minutes ago, Old pro said:

I already have the Esci version (built but never finished) in a box with all my other WW2 British stuff, never looked to deeply into the accuracy of it but from what meagre references I had apart from a few minor niggles seemed fairly accurate. I wondered whether mixing and matching the two? but that may be something for the CS version.

The only difference between the s-models lendlease and the CS versions is the gun barrels. And unfortunately s-models do tend to remove parts from the sprue so that you can't build both versions with a single kit. However the lend lease version does come with a choice of two different 2 pounder barrels.

Although if you have a spare 2 pounder in the stash, buying the CS version would allow you to build both. Dan Taylor has some conversion kits for the s-model crusader to backdate the kit to earlier marks.

23 hours ago, sardaukar said:

The only difference between the s-models lendlease and the CS versions is the gun barrels. And unfortunately s-models do tend to remove parts from the sprue so that you can't build both versions with a single kit. However the lend lease version does come with a choice of two different 2 pounder barrels.

Although if you have a spare 2 pounder in the stash, buying the CS version would allow you to build both. Dan Taylor has some conversion kits for the s-model crusader to backdate the kit to earlier marks.

Maybe I will get back on to the British stuff, at the moment I have the urge to finish my T 72B3,T 90M and in service Terminator, before someone releases them in kit form (although only Zvezda has the B3 in planning) and the arrival of the Pantsyr and Shilka I really shouldn’t be getting distracted 😳😂

4 hours ago, Old pro said:

I have the urge to finish my T 72B3,T 90M and in service Terminator

My interests go all over the place too.

All in 1/72? If so what are you using as a base kit? I have several model collect kits of the T-72/90 series although never built one yet, although not the B3 which seems impossible to get now, but I've heard of some accuracy issues with them. My zvezda terminator would be built by now if it wasnt the early version.

Ive been tempted by the armory pantsir for a while now however now we have a choice with the Zvezda kit but which is best? I will be getting the new B3 when they appear. Weren't IBG doing some Ukrainian BTRs?

18 hours ago, sardaukar said:

My interests go all over the place too.

All in 1/72? If so what are you using as a base kit? I have several model collect kits of the T-72/90 series although never built one yet, although not the B3 which seems impossible to get now, but I've heard of some accuracy issues with them. My zvezda terminator would be built by now if it wasnt the early version.

Ive been tempted by the armory pantsir for a while now however now we have a choice with the Zvezda kit but which is best? I will be getting the new B3 when they appear. Weren't IBG doing some Ukrainian BTRs?

Yeah all 1/72, all the conversions need the Zvezda T 90MS as a base, which is good as comparatively speaking they are still fairly cheap, and the B3, 90M, and latest terminator all use the same lower hull which is slightly different on the rear plate to the T 72/90 hull.

The Modelcollect kits are OK not quite as refined as Zvezda kits, they are fairly accurate, detail on some parts is a bit basic and some parts are chunky but in overall terms of general shape and size they are probably the most accurate, including the B3 until Zvezda release theirs! I was lucky enough to be able to buy a job lot of Revell T 90/90A going cheap, which gave me a lot of spare parts, the Zvezda T90 and terminator have problems with their lower hulls being wrong, but they fit onto the Revell lower hulls nicely.

As for the Pantsyr, unless you are a masochist, it has to be Zvezda, the ARMORY kit is short run and the moulds are not the best, the kit is accurate and has some nice photo etch and resin wheels but like their Shilka it requires a hell of a lot of clean up before you can begin to build and sometimes it is not 100% clear what is kit and what is flash, been doing mine on and off for over 2 years. I haven’t started to build the Zvezda kit yet but am confident it will be a much easier process.

Luckily my interests don’t stray too far, either Modern Russian or British, my plan was to build British tanks through the ages.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished these two, it was the tracks on the M3 that held me up in the end I had to remove 4 links from each side to get them to sit halfway decent, the one good thing about these tracks is that they actually take superglue very well, although I was using cheap CA gel with CA activator from Army Painter that comes in a great little squirt bottle. This does make the CA dry pure white but easily enough painted over.

Might have gone over board on sponge chipping but this is very difficult to see while you are doing it.

I gave them a final Matt coat of vallejo Matt Acrylic Varnish, which has actually left them with a slight satin effect, will look out for a better Matt varnish.

Anyway this is another two off the shelf of doom and into the display and posted to RFI. :cheers:

PXL_20221031_210535090.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks

I haven't done an update for a while here, although I have been active over in the armoured car and half track group build with my s-models Dingos.

S-model cover a lot of early war subjects not so available in 1/72 and actually have a large number of panzer 1 and 2 variants so I threw together a few early war panzers that I will likely paint together.

from left to right.

Sd.Kfz.265 Kleiner Panzerbefehlswagen (on a panzer 1B I believe)

Pz.kpfw.II Ausf. B

Pz.kpfw.I Ausf. B

PXL_20221122_233804347.jpg

I've also been working on another S-model kit, this time a limited edition Sd.kfz.253 with Panzer I turret. Only one comes in this kit which is the norm for their Limited editions. There is a single resin piece that seemed totally unnecessary otherwise its just their 253 kit with a panzer 1 turret sprue, anyway it builds into a nice model. I started this before the current group build otherwise it couldve been a candidate.

I believe there is only one photo of this variant that exists but it seems to have spawned a number of kits.

Not one of my better paint jobs, for some reason I tried to brush paint acrylic highlights which I then tried to hide with weathering. Anyway live and learn will only try that with oils or enamel so it can be blended. It looks better from a distance :)

PXL_20221122_233843478.jpg

PXL_20221122_233853800.jpg

PXL_20221122_233902882.jpg

PXL_20221122_233909284.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sardaukar said:

have a large number of panzer 1 and 2 variants

i got Pz1,2 too😆

On 9/19/2022 at 7:34 AM, sardaukar said:

My Japanese WW2 tank project grows.

i see a 1/72 Type 94 tankette in the group image on 19-Sep reply. which brand is it?😲

Edited by Yg Models
  • Like 1

I just started the ibg Cromwell. Upper hull and turret is not too bad but the running gear is garbage. Wished I had gone for the old Revell version. That said the obg 1/72 Scammels are a real treat with lots of great detail.

• Like 1