End of an Era - RAN A-4G Skyhawk

Last of the bits installed prior to paint.  Base coat for interior canopy down.  Tomorrow morning it'll get hit w/ primer and I'll see how much more finish work will be required.

51215622885_b9f66b0b7f_c.jpg

• Like 6

Oh for crying out loud...I just realized I forgot to add a grab handle for the bang seat.  :wall:  I guess I'll have to see if I can pry the canopy back off tonight.  I think it's going to be in my best interest to fix it before paint that way I've got the ability to cover up any oopsies easier.  Assuming of course I don't crack the canopy getting it off.

• Sad 1

Ok, bang seat fixed.  Took my time scraping away at the PVA based glue holding the canopy on and eventually got it to pop free w/o too much force after a few minutes.

51221804378_5f4be4115c_c.jpg

Primed.  I'll get the canopy re-installed and it should be ready for camo this weekend.  I'm happy enough w/ the seams.

51221584846_2f2f159488_c.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

pop free

Did it pop free as if it was part of an ejection sequence and land across the room somewhere or just come away nicely?

AW

• Haha 3

On 6/1/2021 at 11:08 PM, modelling minion said:

Good idea too get the tanks done Chris, I always end up leaving bits like the tanks and bombs until the end and struggle with the enthusiasm to complete them.

Hi,

and that is so true!

That's why the tanks and other dangly bits are usually the first things I tackle... Then you cannot wait to finish them, in order to deal with the meat of the build...

All it means is that we have almost zero self discipline...

Shame on us!

JR

• Haha 2

PVA glue doesn't have that much hold so the popping off method is not a bad one, but it does (slowly) dissolve in water so in the future another option is to run a wet paintbrush on the seam to get it weaker.

A brush of water would also work to make the glue easier to scrape off before you glue the canopy back on again.

• Like 3

Going to need some touch up before I get to clear...but we have color.

I started attempting to mask...after about half hour got frustrated and said screw it, I'm just going to freehand it like I've always done.  

51229928081_be96e08140_c.jpg

• Like 5

Got the gloss clear on last night, so we should be all set for getting decals placed this weekend.  I do need to order some semi-gloss clear though for the final coat, as the LHS doesn't stock it.  Should have it here by next weekend easy enough...or worst case I'll just mix some if push comes to shove.  But it's something I'd use a fair bit anyway, so I wouldn't mind having a bottle.

• Like 2

Playing/experimenting with a new decal "tool".
51242734698_98dacf0367_c.jpg

I was missing the "NAVY" decals.  I don't know if this was an omission of the sheet, or if it was on a second partial sheet that I've misplaced (more likely the case), but in any rate a raid of the spare decal stash has netted a suitable replacement.  I seem to be short a couple Roos for the underwings, so I'll bum a couple from the spares off the RAAF Mirage sheet.  Good enough.  I have to remind myself that this was a $10 salvage kit, so there is no need to get caught up on trivial details.
51243589100_2c7cb210e9_c.jpg

Progressing.  Probably about halfway through the decals now depending how caught up I want to get on stencils.  Have to cross reference to the future K build to make sure I don't use decals that will be required for that one.  Fortunately the Euro 1 pretty much uses a completely different set of markings (and minimal stencils).

51241824582_0e66b340d5_c.jpg

Decals have been settling in nicely w/ the assistance of Gunze setting solution and softener.

51241835537_0f99e6b579_c.jpg

• Like 5

Decals are done.  Semi-gloss arrives tomorrow.  Should be looking good for finishing up probably Saturday.  I likely won't have time to get the base finished, but the clear rod arrived yesterday so we'll see.

51253795049_1eddd39238_c.jpg

• Like 4