End of an Era - RAN A-4G Skyhawk

Against my better judgement I'll start one here right at the end.  The kit was already started (barely) by the previous owner, then I suspect got frustrated with the fit of the resin cockpit (there appears to have been a prior attempt too).  I picked the kit up from a yard sale at a hobby shop for a paltry $10.  Hopefully nothing critical is missing.  :blink2:  There is a bunch of resin bits.....some decent, some not so much.  Not sure what all I'm going to use but it will give me some options to pick through.  Anyways, here is the starting gate.

51156234869_ff9fc04f4b_c.jpg

• Like 3

The fit of the partially installed resin cockpit was pretty horrible.  The nose was splayed open by 1/4" or better, and the fuselage halves didn't slide back into the lower wing like they should have.  

1.5 hours of sanding, cutting, scraping, chipping and sanding later I was able to get passable fit.  I had to get a bit creative w/ the fitting/installation process though to see where the issues were lying.  I ended up attaching the nosegear well/cockpit to the lower wing first so I could get proper placement of the nose bay.  From there I was able to slip the fuselage halves in and see where my interferences were, allowing me to make the necessary clearances.

Off to bed for today.  Got 2 more weeks of this night shift, then hopefully I can go back to my normal 40 hour work week.  Next up, fit the rest of the rear bulkhead, and some paint for the cockpit.

51156557910_d89bd07a19_c.jpg

• Like 5

Great of you to come and join in Chris, and with a great choice of scheme too, though I might be a bit biased as I just finished one in the late RAN scheme for the ANZAC GB.

Resin cockpits not fitting Hasegawa A-4's is a real issue apparently, certainly none of the ones used in this GB has gone in without a fight.

Look forward to seeing what you can do with this one mate.

Some bits ordered that should be here this weekend.  A resin fuel probe (and a spare) to replace the missing kit probe, and some tubing to try scratching some gun barrels that hopefully look a bit better then the kit bits.  Though worst case I'll just drill out the kit pieces and call it a day.  There were a couple other freeloaders on the order (including a big 'un)...but we'll save those for another day.  ;)

• Like 1

Hi Chris !

10 bucks for an Haseg A-4 , even partially started with a few missing pieces , it's still is a bargain those days ! :winkgrin:

Hope you'll pass the finish line right in time.

Do you have an idea of the cockpit's brand ?

One last question : what is the  " big 'un " ? :innocent:

17 hours ago, basket said:

Hi Chris !

10 bucks for an Haseg A-4 , even partially started with a few missing pieces , it's still is a bargain those days ! :winkgrin:

Hope you'll pass the finish line right in time.

Do you have an idea of the cockpit's brand ?

One last question : what is the  " big 'un " ? :innocent:

Got it a couple years ago before the prices went mental...but admittedly it was still a hell of a find/score.  No idea on the cockpit brand as there wasn't any documentation.....just a bunch of parts in a ziplock bag. 

As for the 'un...well, we'll keep that a secret for now.  :bleh:  I will say though that it is planned as a RAAF bird, so you can have that little teaser.

• Like 1

She's got a decent little spread on her.  I think it's only an antennae array away from being ready for primer...then to see how much touching up needs to be done before paint.  With the looming deadline for the A-4 GB, I'm trying to push through this one, then hopefully will be able to get back to the OV and get it finished up.  It's a little overdue.  :whistle:   Once I get off this whacky work shift I "should" have a little more time to hopefully make some headway. 

• Like 1

Next hiccup encountered while rounding up most of the parts that will be white so I can paint the insides of the intakes all at once...no landing gear.  Doors and wheels are there, but no struts.  Guess I need to go digging for a pilot.

With a fairly light loadout (drops & AIM-9s) this one will look pretty good wheels up so it's not the end of the world.  Joys of previously started kits.  :D

• Like 2

Bugger! As you say Chris, the joys of previously owned kits.

Fortunately the Skyhawk looks particularly good with it's wheels up so that isn't an issue. If you can't find a "growbag" to stick in your cockpit I have a Monogram one from my recent Kiwi A-4 that you can have mate, just PM me your address and I will stick him in the post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Bugger! As you say Chris, the joys of previously owned kits.

Fortunately the Skyhawk looks particularly good with it's wheels up so that isn't an issue. If you can't find a "growbag" to stick in your cockpit I have a Monogram one from my recent Kiwi A-4 that you can have mate, just PM me your address and I will stick him in the post.

Thanks Craig.  I'm good though.  I was able to highjack the pilot out of my A-10 kit so we are covered.  As an added bonus, I don't have to worry about the busted slat tracks either.  :wicked:

• Like 1

I didn't get a chance to get any pictures yet.  But a bit of painting and a bunch more finagling and I think I've just about got the cockpit complete.  Just need to repaint the cockpit sidewalls where I had to remove the resin bits for clearance, apply a bit of a wash, and some shading/highlighting on the pilot.  Once that is clear I can move on to getting the engine face to fit, then button up the fuselage.

I did spend a bit of time this weekend getting the MLG doors secured in the up position.  Took a bit of sanding and fitting...but they got there eventually.  There will be some little tabs for the doors in the wing that will need to be filled.

• Like 1

Got the fuselage closed up and some seam clean up done.  Test fit the intake lips to make sure I can install them later like I was hoping.  Looks like we are in the clear there.  :coolio:

51196823872_6819cd2621_c.jpg

• Like 2

I saw the issues some were having, so I wasn't holding my breath.  But a little extra attention to the alignment of the intake halves using a glass table and some fine sanding film to make sure I had level mounting surfaces may have helped.  I did have some minor issues w/ the intakes, though once I removed the "alignment pins" I was able to slide them right where I wanted them.  It's also quite possible that I was just lucky.  :D  Either way I'll take it.  I'll actually have no filler on them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

I saw the issues some were having, so I wasn't holding my breath.  But a little extra attention to the alignment of the intake halves using a glass table and some fine sanding film to make sure I had level mounting surfaces may have helped.  I did have some minor issues w/ the intakes, though once I removed the "alignment pins" I was able to slide them right where I wanted them.  It's also quite possible that I was just lucky.  :D  Either way I'll take it.  I'll actually have no filler on them.

Hi.

Very well done.

You're not the first one who removed the alignment pins to great profit.

I'll do that for my next one.

• Thanks 1

Approaching the point of installing/masking the canopy and getting ready for primer.  Misc intakes have been fitted along w/ a scratched hook bump strip.  Speaking of hooks.....going to have to try to scratch build something as that is missing as well.  :doh:  Also have a couple pitots to add, then it'll be off to the paint booth.

51209542096_0d934a2e87_c.jpg

• Like 3