I used Halfords windscreen washer fluid in the UK for many years but don’t have access to it since Jan 😠 and the local stuff doesn’t seem to work well with Tamiya, so I have to pay the extra for Tamiya thinners.

Enjoy your hols.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to keep the subject ticking over, today I was in Duxford and came across their TT.35. I’ve briefly mentioned about the rear of of the engine fairing being wrong as it’s moulded as a convex curve, when it should be a ‘hollow’ concave curve. I know I’m not at that point yet, but this is what the area looks like in real life.

Mosquito

Once you’ve seen it, you can’t I unsee it!

Trevor

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another short burst of activity this afternoon. Firstly I wanted to add some 3D effect to the instrument panel, so I lovingly cobbled up a compass from sprue, tube and plastic card. The mounting was on a 20 thou strip, not exactly true to life, but close enough for government work.

Mosquito

It’ll need a bit of tidying up but I’m quite happy with the result, especially as I sprayed it all black along with the cockpit shortly afterwards to blend it all in. That pot of IJN Green will be deployed in the not too distant future and I ‘hope’ that the cockpit will begin to look like one integrated ergonomic slum, rather than miscellaneous scraps of plastic. Work on the cheek windows in the fuselage continues. The starboard side has been sanded on the outside and more filler blended in on the inside. A corresponding card shimmy has just been glued into the port side. Filler and blending will follow on that side too. Once done, I can add the final cockpit details, paint it all up and then fix the fuselage together.

Phew.

Trevor

• Like 5

I think I have come to a bit of a milestone.  Having beavered away for ages on the cockpit, I’m now just about there. The two navigator’s windows are now the shape I am happy with and have been filled and blended in with the surrounding sides. That meant I could fabricate the last of the wall furniture which leaves me here….

Mosquito

The last thing I will need to do is the bombsight and then apart from some wiring that’s it, I’ll paint the interior and close it up.

My next worry will be how much of a hash my painting skills will turn out to be😆

Trevor

• Like 8

You get to a point in a model when sticking things together is not enough and you need to see what it all looks like painted. I have reached that point!

The cockpit tub is now at a point where it’s finished, so I thought it high time that I needed some painting therapy. Having wafted Tamiya white primer over first, I then gave it a coat of Humbrol satin black. Now back from my hollibops, I saddled up and broke out the paints. Principal to this was the Tamiya IJN Cockpit Green. Thankfully it’s one of those rare things, a brushable Tamiya Paint. Within a few minutes I’d given the cockpit a coat. It covered well and had a pleasing tonal difference in parts where the black undercoat wasn’t quite obliterated. These are the results.

Mosquito

Mosquito

A few highlights and lowlights and rubbing of certain parts with a pencil, I then proceeded to paint the other bits and pieces. Still to be applied is the yellow dot on the back of the pilot’s seat, denoting armour plate.

The radios are a work in progress, the one on the ‘parcel shelf’ needs a white rectangle in the centre and as for the other one, there is a transfer on that sheet of stencils that arrived shortly before I went on hols.

As a comparison, I painted the back of the instrument panel with my trusty potlet of Humbrol 78. Here is the result.

Mosquito

It’s the same shade as near as makes no difference. 

Quite pleased with that.

Finally for this session, the instrument panel. After one or two bits and bobs had been added to the panel, this had then been given a coat of Humbrol satin black too and I decided that I would keep it that way. So what to do next in order to give some detail? A trusty and well worn piece of wet and dry paper was lightly rubbed over the detail. This was the result.

Mosquito

Not bad. That’s the bare plastic showing through. I may highlight one or two bits, but as it’s going to be in shadow anyway, I don’t intend to go to town on it.

All in all, I’m pleased with the way it’s gone and bodes well for the rest of the cockpit. All that’s needed there, is to add some wiring and then that’s good to go too.

Onwards and upwards 😃

Trevor 

• Like 7

Hello there.

Small amount of progress this afternoon in that I laid down some wiring on the fuselage sides. I’m no way claiming fidelity on this, rather this is representative of what can be found. For this, I used 5 and 10 amp fuse wire, doubled over itself a couple of times and twizzed around a bit to prevent separation and very thin Tamiya Tape wound round at intervals to represent binding. This was then spot superglued and placed by reference to photos.

I may add some more wiring in the nose but will wait until the components are in situ.

Here are a couple of photos to keep you going!

Mosquito

Mosquito

As you can see I’ve also sloshed some black around the cheek window openings both inside and out. First this was to show whether the shims and putty had been sanded smooth to the counters (yes) and also in preparation for when I add the glazing. For obvious reasons I’m leaving these off until I absolutely have to add them to prevent dust particles accumulating.

Next on the agenda will to paint and weather the fuselage halves. Again I’ll go white primer, black spray and hand brush the interior green as I was pleased with the result last time.

Trevor

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem, quite a serious problem.

I’ve been modelling this afternoon. Finished the cockpit painting and had got as far as sticking the instrument panel to one half. However, without being able to actually show you what I’m doing, it’s rather like juggling on the radio.

So for now I’ll just have to plug away in the dark, hoping this irritation can be sorted and then do one big data dump.

In the meantime, if anyone has any bright ideas, you know where I am…….🙄

Trevor

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Trevor,

Imgur.com It's free and so easy even I can use it.

Nice interior detailing BTW

Pete

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I can’t find an app for the iPhone. In desperation I’ve downloaded Google Photos and am trying to find a way to copy links……

Trevor

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I can’t find an app for the iPhone. In desperation I’ve downloaded Google Photos and am trying to find a way to copy links……

Trevor

No, don't use Google photos! The hotlinks expire very quickly, you'll have a whole thread of 'no entry' signs 24 hours later. I'm guessing you don't have a laptop for using Flickr, it does make a world of difference. Try using the browser version of Flickr (uninstall the app) and as long as you have the privacy set to public, it should be able to link your photos.

Unless the problem is you can't login to Flickr at all, in which case get on to customer support, you've paid for it after all 🤔 

• Thanks 1

@Alan P I do have a laptop and I can access Flick that way - it’s just that the mobile is so much easier.

Been trying Google Photos for hours and not yet succeed in embedding a link. 😔

Time to contact Support again..

Trevor

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Been trying Google Photos for hours and not yet succeed in embedding a link. 😔

Google Photos doesn't work for hotlinking. The links expire within hours :sad: They used to allow it but not for a few years now.

• Sad 1

Well, Flickr and I have come to a temporary fix. I now have three months Pro for free and somehow, that’s semi cured the problem and I can upload new photos!

So………

Using my Tamiya IJN Green I painted the cockpit sides and picked out some

detail.

First this……

Mosquito

and after picking out detail…..

Mosquito

Phew, that’s a relief.

Lets see what I get up to this weekend.

Trevor the relieved 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow this is starting to look the business with the paint going on. Great work. 

Chris 

Thanks Chris!

I’ve been trial fitting the cockpit and have concluded that I need to be rather careful!

Trevor

• Like 1

Nice build so far. Must be pretty big.

I’ve been using village photos for about a year now, it’s free and I find it’s pretty good, once you get the hang of it. I did use Flickr pro previously but the just couldn’t justify the annual sub.

• Thanks 1