4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Yes and on a Friday after a pub lunch!!!

Think they were pickled for the entire time!

When working in Dublin some years ago.. the only real work took place Tues PM then Wednesday... the rest of the time was spent drinking and recovering from drinking! 😂 After some months I had to return to the UK for a liver transplant 😂😂😂

• Haha 3

On 03/05/2021 at 16:05, Max Headroom said:

a Christmas present from my son’s girlfriend

Tell him to marry her. She's passed the prospective DILaw test with flying colours I'd say....

was toying with the idea I'd get this kit.. always pretty cheap and as stated the only 1:32 game in town..but. Put off a little by the age of the mouldings and the inaccuracies. Thanks for detailing them here!  I did the TAmiya 1:48 offering last year and was very impressed with the quality of that kit..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/05/2021 at 09:27, Biggles87 said:

Have you thought of asking Tamiya to sell you the cockpit sprue from their 1/32 Mosquito, I did that with a 1/32 Revell Spitfire. Perhaps you’d think that was cheating or too easy., I’m happy for any help I can get these days.

Stay safe.

That's inspired not too easy...

• Haha 1

As a slight change to the other cockpit stuff, I thought that I’d tackle the control column. Let’s see what I have to work with.....

Mosquito

Hmm.......

to be fair, this is the single most flash riddled part in the kit.

Here is an internet photo

http://www.mossie.org/images/Phil_Broad/RS712_int/IRS712-34.jpg

This means that not only is the yoke wrong, but the column itself is square and not round.

First off, was to chop off the yolk and scrape the column into a more square shape 

Mosquito

15 amp fuse wire and some cyano, I had this in about ten minutes

Mosquito

I also added one of the handles (brakes?) too. I will add pva blobs to the ends of the handles and that is that done!

That diversion done I turned my attention to the radio on the ‘parcel shelf’ and added some knobs . No ‘during’ shots I’m afraid, so here it is glued into place. As a bonus, the control column is also in place.

Mosquito

The main knobs were cut from thin plastic tube. Blobs of pva were added to the centres to make them solid.

On a roll now, I decided to model the other radio that was placed behind the pilot’ seat. Remember the fictitious parcel shelf at the beginning?

Mosquito

Yes that one! Never throw interesting shapes away. I figured that if I could chop up the object at the back, that would form the basis of the box. And so it proved to be. Here are a couple of shots of the result, including the shelf that it sits on.

Mosquito

Mosquito

That may need some more fettling as I’m not entirely happy with it, but that’s it for today.

That for me was quite a session👍

Trevor

• Like 7

Hello!

Just a quick burst of modelling this weekend. Mostly doing outdoor things and shortly our 2 1/2 yo granddaughter is descending upon us for a couple of nights so playing with glue and sharp objects is a no no!

Anyhoo, just before the latest update, here is my latest toy 

Mosquito

£2.99 from Aldi - bargain! Should have got one years ago.

Still working on the cockpit at the moment but I turned my attention to the back of the instrument panel. Not an area I usually bother with, but as there is a clear nose and it’s in a large scale you can easily see the backs of the dials and cables. I solved this one by using more plastic tube, a blob of cyano and 10 amp fuse wire

Mosquito

once dry I can bend and twizzle the wire in an artistic manner.

The cockpit floor is now more or less done. Logically the next item to tackle will be the cockpit walls. There’s a lot going on there and at present, there is no detail at all. However, there is a related side issue and that means fixing the cheek windows in the nose. This needs to be done before I add the clutter in that area. As moulded, they are rectangular. Looking at photos of the HK model incidentally show that they have got this feature wrong too. They appear to be a bit small and on a slant. Obviously this feature gives mould makers a problem. Let’s hope Airfix get it right on their new 1/72 offering.

This is the problem.....

Mosquito

The tape represents the approximate correct lower line. I’ve noticed from looking at photos that there is a straight line from the base of the window to the top lip of the wing radiator. The line needs some fine tuning first before I start the surgery. I’m undecided which way to go about this. The first involves using the kit parts unaltered and then sanding it smooth, polishing it back to clarity and then masking off the window inside and outside. Plan B has me using plastic card to block off the offending area and cutting the kit transparency to size. Sand and smooth.

Once that is done, I can the add the wall furniture. Hopefully it will end up nice and cluttered in there!

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom
Missing sentence and spelnig
  • Like 5

I dare to say even at this early stage (that is without knowing the level of detail you will be adding to the rest of your build) that your work is phenomenal Trevor!

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Shalako said:

I dare to say even at this early stage (that is without knowing the level of detail you will be adding to the rest of your build) that your work is phenomenal Trevor!

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers,

Bill

I’m flattered that you think so. As it’s a big model, I’m taking it as a series of sub assemblies. I’ve not even begun to plan about the wings and things yet. Now that the cockpit insert is all but done, logically the next item to pay attention to are the cockpit walls. Intensive photo staring again!

39 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

Trevor 

EXCEPTIONAL  work so far.

:clap:

Thank you! It’s all basic modelling, plastic card, scraps of plastic, bits robbed from other kits and repurposed, fuse wire and endless staring at photos. I’m not a quick modeller, so it gives me time to plan (plan🤣🤣🤣)

Thanks for looking. Probably no more modelling until next weekend 😕

Trevor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No I haven’t disappeared it’s that modelling opportunities are less at weekends at the moment because we’re doing summer activities (and seeing Wales get a nail biting draw against Switzerland 😁). My ‘staring at photos’ continues and I came across this restoration log with plenty of photos

http://www.vicair.net/mosquito.html

Also a shout out to @Alan P and his build of the same kit, albeit transmogrifying it to an FB.VI. Check it out

Hopefully, I’ll get back to plasticing soon 👍

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the name check Trevor 😁 that's an excellent photo gallery, that'll come in very useful for the HKM Mk.XVI I just got for my birthday, oh my heart! 💙💙💙 

So many models, so little time 😔

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So where was I? Well basically watching @Alan P come up on the outside, overtake me and disappear over horizon with his build 😆.

Never mind, I’ve not stopped ‘Staring at Photos.’ One thing was bugging me though. I had a couple more Mosquito books by Stuart Howe lurking around somewhere. I knew vaguely where they were, but the chaotic chaos that is our box room was not giving them up willingly. A lot of burrowing through stuff was required, but in the end I came out with my prizes 

Mosquito

More photo staring ensued, mainly trying mentally to fine tune the correct size for the nose windows (I think I’ve got it now!)

This afternoon, I’m back cutting plastic.

But first, lunch.

Trevor

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Chicken sausage buttie thanks for asking.

I think that I’ve flogged the cockpit tub scratching more or less. The last addition though was a secondary panel that seemed to have been scabbed on to the end of the main instrument panel. A bit like this.

Mosquito

But only a bit.

So let’s start on the cockpit walls. It was evident that both sides are cluttered and seemingly designed by someone who thought the crew had at least seven arms each! A rough sketch was pencilled out on the starboard wall to see where everything could go

Mosquito

This had the added advantage that I could offer up the tub to that half and see if anything was going to get snagged. You can also see that at this point that I’ve blanked off the bottom half of the cheek window. The blank is slightly too deep, so that I can trim it back later. Sanding and filling in on the inside will no doubt feature at some point and once satisfied with that, the surrounding wall furniture can be added.

And then there was a knock on the back garden window. Herself was in gardening mode and needed my assistance. I dutifully downed tools and trudged out. I hate, loathe and detest gardening. Unlike modelling, when you chop a bit off, the darned thing insists on growing back. Don’t get me wrong, I like a nice garden as much as anyone else and just down the road to me is Ness Gardens and is a lovely place to visit. It’s just the slog, scratches and bleeding that’s an inevitable part of the process that I find unpleasant. And the rash I get afterwards is annoying too. Antihistamine cream and tablets are part of the routine.

Gardening punishment over, back in I went and by reference to photos ended up with this....

Mosquito

Obviously it’s a work in process. The black rods have been glued into place and once thoroughly set, will all be trimmed to the same length and finished off.

A little bit of plumbing will be necessary eventually and the one positive from doing the gardening thing, was that I came across some plastic coated wire in the shed which I can use! More on that later.

And that’s it for now. It’s good to be back. Now if you excuse me, I need to watch 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿  beat 🇩🇰. I predict a 2-1 win for the Welsh.

Cymru am byth 👍

Trevor

• Like 8

Very nice interior work 👍 one of the reasons why having crew figures helps obscure the lack of detail! Mine is on hold while I work on the canopy conversion, not as straightforward as it first appeared 😒 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Now if you excuse me, I need to watch 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿  beat 🇩🇰. I predict a 2-1 win for the Welsh.

FragrantUnfortunateIberianmole.webp

• Sad 1