C-47 Dakota Question

dogsbody

Author Carl Vincent has asked me to post this photo and question for him.

I find this photo intriguing although it may well be old hat to some of the members. This is an official RCAF photo and the crowd seems to be primarily RCAF airmen who have just been flown into Normandy (although I doubt in the aircraft pictured). The aircraft itself, whether Dakota or C-47, retains its USAAF serial but sports an RAF fin flash and a Union Jack. The four stars make it of real interest. It would seem to imply the aircraft of a high ranking officer though the stars are more indicative of an American. It is a well-known story that Montgomery won a B-17 on a bet, but it does not seem to have lasted long. Anyway, this aircraft with its ambivalent markings on an RAF/RCAF airstrip is a definite subject for speculation (unless, of course, somebody knows the answer). It would certainly make an interesting profile or model.

Carl

51155314026_85131af7ba_b.jpg

Chris, for Carl

• 1 month later...

I thought that we had sorted this one elsewhere Chris? I posted a photo of the nose area and  the consensus was that it was used by Montgomery. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

I thought that we had sorted this one elsewhere Chris? I posted a photo of the nose area and  the consensus was that it was used by Montgomery. 

Got a link?

Chris

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Got a link?

Chris

No mate,.... it was on the WW2 Questions page ages ago! I could have sworn you were commenting on it too! 

Edited by tonyot

18 hours ago, tonyot said:

No mate,.... it was on the WW2 Questions page ages ago! I could have sworn you were commenting on it too! 

Probaby did comment, but I can't remember for sure. The ol' brain doesn't function as well as it used to.

Chris

• Like 1