"It's Life Jim, but not as we know it" It's the 453rd Museum's 1/32 P-51D Mustang by Revell.

Lovely progress Johnny, wheel wells looking suitably busy :clap: 

I'm a convert to sprue goo (or is it sprue gloop? )  myself, feeding the TeT bottle with some of the finest Tamiya styrene - seems to get a great result on any styrene :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought a new bottle of Extra Thin so I could use my old, less full bottle for sprue goo, but I forgot that I had filled that bottle with the remnants of an even older bottle! So, neither bottle has room for any sprue.

That wheel bay looks the business Johnny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2021 at 3:16 PM, Cookenbacher said:

I bought a new bottle of Extra Thin so I could use my old, less full bottle for sprue goo, but I forgot that I had filled that bottle with the remnants of an even older bottle! So, neither bottle has room for any sprue.

Don’t buy extra thin in the glass bottles. 

Buy this stuff, and refill your empty extra thin bottles. 

Its exactly the same item, and much cheaper to buy in this size. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 25/06/2021 at 00:48, hendie said:

Le well est swell m'boy. Looking suitably busy and complicated

Thank you my good man. 😃

On 25/06/2021 at 01:47, tango98 said:

Coming on nicely Johnny.............but don’t forget to remove that small scoop 

on the side of the left-hand cowling panel eh?

Cheers

Dave

Thanks. And done . Just for you. And authenticity too. 😇

On 25/06/2021 at 05:49, Jackson Duvalier said:

That's an awful lot of sprue goo spewed, Johnny.  The wires in the wheel well are pretty acceptable.  😎

Did you fill the seam down the middle of the upper nose?  It looks like you may not have, but it's hard to tell from here.

Yes I did fill the seam but I think that I shouldn’t have done. I think there is a seam so I might have to put it back.

On 25/06/2021 at 07:44, Hamden said:

You can't rush perfection!

Like how this coming together it is most definitely raising the bar

Stay safe                Roger 

Thanks Roger.

On 25/06/2021 at 08:16, Biggles87 said:

Slow and steady wins the race, so just carry on at your own pace.

John

Thanks. Reminds me of a joke. “My Aunt always used to say, “Slow and steady wins the race” . She burned to death in a house fire”. 😲🤣

sorry. :coat:

On 25/06/2021 at 09:05, Herrick said:

Very late to this party.

As a real newbie to this game, my thought when seeing the mottling on the cabin walls was “Why?” Seeing the result on the painted walls explains it. Yet another technique to add to my list.

Exceptional work!

Glad to be of service. Hope you’re enjoying the build. 

On 25/06/2021 at 11:24, giemme said:

Lovely progress Johnny, wheel wells looking suitably busy :clap: 

I'm a convert to sprue goo (or is it sprue gloop? )  myself, feeding the TeT bottle with some of the finest Tamiya styrene - seems to get a great result on any styrene :winkgrin:

Ciao

Ooh Tamiya you say. I have quite a bit of that. 😇

On 25/06/2021 at 20:16, Cookenbacher said:

Thanks. I usually do the same with TET but figured I needed some goo, so I took the plunge. Really good tool to have in the Arsenal. 

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

Don’t buy extra thin in the glass bottles. 

Buy this stuff, and refill your empty extra thin bottles. 

Its exactly the same item, and much cheaper to buy in this size. 

spacer.png

Really? But what? 😲

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think I have found the cure to my Slow build. “Well at least I hope so” As a belated Father’s Day gift I got taken to Cosford by the fam.

51272849711_ef413c6a7a_b.jpg

🐖In💩. 😀 Loved every minute.

Really filled up the mojo tanks. Snatched minutes yesterday and today found the Mustang moving on to new heights. 
The second wheel well got pipes glued in place.

51272099337_d300748e24_b.jpg

Before the wings got glued I had to paint the lights.

51272099277_c9f23e6fe2_b.jpg

For the last task on Friday I just had to glue one more thing. (Well two)

51273877355_28529e8914_b.jpg

😇😊

This morning a whole bunch of glueing happened. If you’re going to make this kit beware. It’s really odd the way it goes together. The wing halves go as expected.

51273576449_cdf0f8b818_b.jpg

The gun jackets however didn’t fit quite as as well as I’d have liked. They fitted but just had a dip on the top side. Not great.

51272099162_697b2f8041_b.jpg

But lots of pegs got deployed regardless.

51272849661_f4f37af2fc_b.jpg

The lights fitted mind.

51272099187_ceea85567a_b.jpg

So sizing up issues aside all seemed to be going well.

51273023023_5cd339e745_b.jpg

fitting the wings to the fuselage seemed like it should just work but there are four out possibly six connection points that all need to clip in place. If one bit is slightly out the other part won’t clip. You can get one side in but the other just won’t fit. Long story short, much shaving of edges and tweaking here and there and the wings suddenly “Clicked” into place with an audible “CLICK” the wing roots needed some work on one side but I thought all was well. 
The front wall of the Well could then be fitted. Clips deployed.

51272099157_67d276fcf1_b.jpg

Belt and braces as I had broken parts trying to get it all together.

51273877295_afe88efefb_b.jpg

Once that has dried for a few hours I figured I’d pop the rest of the parts on. 
🥺 sounds easy right. 😩 the intake fits well if the other parts are fitted well. Any slight diversion means they don’t fit. Eventually after shaving and pushing and holding in place we are here.

51273576679_fbd70ec3ea_b.jpg 51273023278_1bd3dd5c27_b.jpg

You can see at the top of this pic where the plastic gave way during all the pushing and squeezing to get the whole structure in alignment.

51273576694_36f08ce020_b.jpg

But at least it’s all in now and glued.

These are the worst steps. And to be fair they aren’t that bad at the end of the day. Wrong roots and gun panels.

51272849886_915d729709_b.jpg

I used: chisels, sanding and lastly PPP to sort the seams.  I’ll finish them off tomorrow.

51273023208_65bbda00a7_b.jpg

After what I thought was going to be an easy come together of parts but wasn’t got done. 😍 Some more gluing of parts before I finished for the day.

The nose got it’s sun assembly put together.

51273023168_2a8433dcd5_b.jpg

It’s an odd fit. Trappers down which seems wrong but it’s actually right.
It looks good though.

51272849781_e091789fd5_b.jpg

I cut the UC doors in half.

51273576614_348e2a7c28_b.jpg

And found another odd fitting section with the tail. While fitting,  pushing in one side and then the other caused the fitted one to be pushed out?  They are meant to fit together like this. Inside the fuselage. A bit bonkers but with a little wiggling it worked. 😅

51273576649_22b66a4eec_b.jpg

And I got those stick in place too.

51273576639_478fa561cb_b.jpg

I figured I’d let all that cite for the night.

🤩🤩🤩 Thanks for dropping in.

More tomorrow. 

Hope you’re all having a splendid weekend.

Take care.

Johnny. 🐎

• Like 21

I'm helping a friend build one of these now, and it's been a frustrating, maddening build. Part of it is attributed to the fact he's a beginning modeler, and he hasn't always been as diligent as he should in terms of parts prep and cleanup. However, having said that a lot of the parts come together in unusual ways and if you don't do some serious test fitting, you find traps in construction almost everywhere. The inserts for the machine gun jackets are just one example.

-d-

• Like 1

I am truly, permanently put off this model Johnnie with that awful fit of its bits.

But fair to say it looks quite lovely after the assembly battles, well done mate.

How's the House Of Horrors* doing now the lockout is over?

Any radical changes to report, I fancy a trip out there myself soon.

Number one (and only) son would like to go there and to Hendon with dad to bring back old times maybe...

*I don't like having to get a crick in my neck just to accept there is a Javelin or a Hunter or a Lightning up there, but just a matter of personal distaste.

I prefer my exhibits where I can look and relate to them, odd I know...

Nice shirt dude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, perdu said:

I am truly, permanently put off this model Johnnie with that awful fit of its bits.

Interesting! I’m doing the 1/48 version of this and that is exactly how I feel too!

• Sad 2

That's shaping up very nicely Johnny, tricky engineer and all. As a complete aside, your profile picture makes me think it should be an album cover

James

Edited by 81-er
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you’re winning, even if it is a struggle.

I don’t think I’ve had a Mustang with leading edge inserts that fitted well, I think they do it just to increase the parts count and not out of necessity. 

I built the Meng 1/48 version last year and the wing inserts were truly awful, they could have just moulded them with the wings like Tamiya did on their 1/48 versions.

Stay safe.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/06/2021 at 01:34, David H said:

I'm helping a friend build one of these now, and it's been a frustrating, maddening build. Part of it is attributed to the fact he's a beginning modeler, and he hasn't always been as diligent as he should in terms of parts prep and cleanup. However, having said that a lot of the parts come together in unusual ways and if you don't do some serious test fitting, you find traps in construction almost everywhere. The inserts for the machine gun jackets are just one example.

-d-

It is strange that the fit has been fine so far and now as all the main parts come together the tolerances really start to kick in. I’ve built a lot worse fitting kits mind.

On 27/06/2021 at 08:45, perdu said:

But fair to say it looks quite lovely after the assembly battles, well done mate.

How's the House Of Horrors* doing now the lockout is over?

Any radical changes to report, I fancy a trip out there myself soon.

Number one (and only) son would like to go there and to Hendon with dad to bring back old times maybe...

*I don't like having to get a crick in my neck just to accept there is a Javelin or a Hunter or a Lightning up there, but just a matter of personal distaste.

I prefer my exhibits where I can look and relate to them, odd I know...

Nice shirt dude.

She’s really not a bad kit. You just need to know about the odd fit of all the major sub assemblies. Even then it’s not too hard to get’ erm to come together. The machine gun jackets are never going to not need work though.  As for Cosford it was great. Apart from the air shows this is my first time there. “I know right” lived right next door all my life.  I actually loved The second hangar with the hung jets. Especially the lightning. 
here’s a few shots just for you Bill so you don’t need to hurt your neck.

51286369581_4802bc07fb_b.jpg 51286369556_7e8c122a31_b.jpg
On 27/06/2021 at 19:50, Fritag said:

Practically perfect painting (obvs :D) plus fine fettling, Johnny.

Thank you kind sir. ❤️

On 28/06/2021 at 08:13, giemme said:

Wing assembly looking the biz, Johnny :clap: The wheel wells with all the piping and weathering look amazing! :worthy:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio.

On 28/06/2021 at 08:40, Herrick said:

Interesting! I’m doing the 1/48 version of this and that is exactly how I feel too!

🥺 Sorry to hear that. It’ll pick up. Painting I’d just around the corner. 😇

On 28/06/2021 at 10:43, 81-er said:

That's shaping up very nicely Johnny, tricky engineer and all. As a complete aside, your profile picture makes me think it should be an album cover

James

Thanks. And the pic was taken at the Download festival at Donington a few years ago. 

On 28/06/2021 at 14:54, Biggles87 said:

I think you’re winning, even if it is a struggle.

I don’t think I’ve had a Mustang with leading edge inserts that fitted well, I think they do it just to increase the parts count and not out of necessity. 

I built the Meng 1/48 version last year and the wing inserts were truly awful, they could have just moulded them with the wings like Tamiya did on their 1/48 versions.

Stay safe.

John

Yes I think you might be right. I thought the odd shape was to hide the join. I was wrong. 😲

On 29/06/2021 at 19:47, Cookenbacher said:

That wing looks like it came off the North American line, but I can't tell if it's from Dallas or Inglewood - I don't know my P-51's well enough!

Thanks. I think. 🤪😀❤️

• Like 5

Hey.

Apologies for the radio silence, work is taking up alot of my time along with the major birthdays this week. Gemma on Thursday my old man today and my mum on Sunday. I did continue the work last weekend but I haven’t had time to post up. So here goes. 
The fit ended up looking good in the end with a bit of sanding here and there.

The vent things went in to. For the book they fitted well. 😅

51286530553_2ac6e9ce74_b.jpg

A little more fidelity but she’s not a million miles away. 

51286540238_4f2eb39be9_b.jpg

The one wing root and the jackets got a smoothing down and now look good. Just need to do a primer blast to pick out the small errors.

51287079489_68d28d2649_b.jpg

The outer flaps went on without trouble.

51287375680_c4dc54b7cf_b.jpg

I’ll paint the others separately and fit after the fact.

51287089069_a199725430_b.jpg

As primer is on the way I am putting the little sun assemblies together to fit and I’ll spray at the same time.

51287375655_70b1a6c54d_b.jpg

The pylons had some awful sink marks.

51286530528_6d2fb04d19_b.jpg

Sprew goo to the rescue I think. 🤗

The canopy frames holes needed red drilling and this looks a lot better now.

51285612947_0107c5fe0f_b.jpg

The cockpit combing got constructed and the target windows removed to be replaced with a scratch one later on.

51286540203_5dc270fc3e_b.jpg

There is a choice of two covers but no indication to which one is for what so I picked one and left it to the gods of Modelling. 😃

As I’m going to prime I need that canopy on so it’s time. There is some distortion as you can see.

51287375670_fbd4679936_b.jpg

But over all the canopy it’s pretty good.

The fit isn’t perfect but it’s not bad. A bit of PPP here and there and we’re away.

51287375660_9255a4b9ba_b.jpg

I’m a little worried about drilling through to fit the radio wires but every one likes a little peril. 🤣

I’m on usual weekend duties today with birthdays on top but hopefully I can get to the bench. If not I’ll spend a few lovely caught moments with what you lot have been up to over the week.

Thanks for dropping by. Hope you have all had a great week.

Jonster. 🐎

• Like 17

Johnny, looks simply lovely—I appreciate the radio silence comment—I sometimes have to choose between building or posting due to work and I go with my fancy—that said, this decision demos a lag in improvements to my posting skills (but enough about me, this is about you and this fabulous build)—I must say the wheel wells look the business with layers of shading, and I really like the effort to drill out the holes in the  canopy structure—enjoyed catching up with this🙌 best, Erwin

• Thanks 1

On 03/07/2021 at 17:58, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, looks simply lovely—I appreciate the radio silence comment—I sometimes have to choose between building or posting due to work and I go with my fancy—that said, this decision demos a lag in improvements to my posting skills (but enough about me, this is about you and this fabulous build)—I must say the wheel wells look the business with layers of shading, and I really like the effort to drill out the holes in the  canopy structure—enjoyed catching up with this🙌 best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin. More action this morning in between birthdays. 😍

Good evening.

Hope you are all having a nice weekend.

I managed to get a spot done on the Mustang this morning before I went to wash my old dear happy birthday. 😇🤩🥳

The pylons has been filled with goo. just needed a sand.

51291155750_e45b1e3e6b_b.jpg

That’s better. A bit more off the sides please gov. 💇💇‍♂️

51290863274_4013a8326f_b.jpg

The canopy got masked.

51291155985_11b81ffc26_b.jpg

Now I had to make some decisions. The combing needs fitting before the canopy goes on. I need to get this painted and finished but that means I can’t do the main frame. 💆‍♂️💆‍♂️💆‍♂️
So I decided to get the internal canopy work done as an ongoing task and temporarily fit the canopy so I could paint and get the wobbles sorted out.

So the comb got painted.

51291155600_1f8870b50d_b.jpg

And while I had the paint in the brush I got the canopy done.

51290145751_63436eb1e3_b.jpg

Before the BIG OL’ priming session I had to get the airframe all together so the tail got glued.

51290321493_abf1999f5d_b.jpg 51289397917_2188db0f45_b.jpg

Pylons got glued in place.

51290145456_0cd5c2c698_b.jpg

The intake opening flap things got added.

51290321833_3285005da6_b.jpg

More masking.

51290862969_2bc67c37f1_b.jpg 51290863294_63f6aa5130_b.jpg 51290321498_c05fc0d62f_b.jpg

And then the booth. 🧖

A dead one.

51290145696_726d24dda2_b.jpg

And an alive one.

51289397622_295aecdc0f_b.jpg

While that dried I glued the wheels.

51290321763_ec32d86083_b.jpg

And tidied up the UC.

51290145481_a26f2b2cb5_b.jpg

There were plenty of minor errors that needed some delicate sanding and adjustments.

51290862979_af648b7ff7_b.jpg

Before another prime.

51290321913_120a3828bb_b.jpg

There is a bit of a step on the front canopy but I’m hoping this gets fixed when the comb goes on. If not I think I can lose out with a little PPP. Here’s the underside as it stands.

51290863194_b159b6b2b0_b.jpg

I’m really happy for two reasons. The first that I can feel the paint work and the last few steps of this coming together and the second I have found that my new spongy sanding sticks are fantastic at taking the slight rough edge off primer. I don’t know why I have never sanded primer before. You get a super smooth finish. I know you’ll all be saying you’ve been doing it for years but it’s something I’ve never done and I can see how if I had have done it I would have got some better results. You live and learn eh. 💆‍♂️💆‍♂️

Well thanks for dropping by. I’m hoping to get some paint down during the week but we shall see how it goes.

Take care y’all and s as always.

Happy modelling.

Johnny. 🐎

• Like 18

I love the work you’ve done on those wheel wells. I was interested to see how you masked them, I was having all sorts of problems with my 1/48 version. Using the sponge cut to size is obvious once you see it done. Is it left over packing or do you buy it?

• Thanks 1

Well, I catched up my Dear Spad !!

I really like Cosford too, if you come on SMW and get to Cosford the following monday.....

You can access the museum reserves and repair shop for a few bucks.....

Really good work on your pony...

The wing is as weird on the Eduard 1/48 one...

You try to get it in with these weirdly cut pieces and then Click, it's on !!!

I never dared to get the wings out and try it again....:whistle:

Congrats my Dear Spad !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Wow, big update Johnny - and you hit the primer stage! :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

I know right 😀. All of a sudden we have an Aeroplane. 

14 hours ago, Herrick said:

I love the work you’ve done on those wheel wells. I was interested to see how you masked them, I was having all sorts of problems with my 1/48 version. Using the sponge cut to size is obvious once you see it done. Is it left over packing or do you buy it?

Thanks. The sponge Is left over stuff from brassin parts or anything with a bit of sponge in really. Sometimes it’s not quite accurate enough so you have to use tape too. 

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Oh, it was definitely a compliment! The bays look so realistic, and nice primer coat too.

Oh good. Thankyou for your kind words. 🙌😇

58 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Well, I catched up my Dear Spad !!

I really like Cosford too, if you come on SMW and get to Cosford the following monday.....

You can access the museum reserves and repair shop for a few bucks.....

Really good work on your pony...

The wing is as weird on the Eduard 1/48 one...

You try to get it in with these weirdly cut pieces and then Click, it's on !!!

I never dared to get the wings out and try it again....:whistle:

Congrats my Dear Spad !!

Sincerely.

CC

That’s good to know about Cosford and SMW. I need to go to the model show. After this pandemic I’m never putting things off again. 

• Like 5