"It's Life Jim, but not as we know it" It's the 453rd Museum's 1/32 P-51D Mustang by Revell.

On 26/09/2021 at 21:21, Lewis95 said:

Robbed. Unashamedly. Like all of my techniques...

.... I want to say Airfix Gladiator or one of the Classics Hawkers.

Build is looking fantastic there bud. Reckon I've got time to squeeze one more pint in at the bar before the show moves to the next thread!

Thank you for the kind words. Not a Gladiator and a Hawker you say. 😈

On 26/09/2021 at 21:57, giemme said:

Almost done, Johnny - wonderful job! :worthy: :worthy:

Ciao 

Thanks G. Yup almost there.

On 26/09/2021 at 22:09, hendie said:

Stunning. Really stunning Johnny.

You must be heartbroken to give this one away - luckily it's for a great cause

Thank you kind sir. Yes it is a shame but I’m running out of space so it’s not all bad and as you say it’s a good cause. 😇

On 27/09/2021 at 08:45, perdu said:

Demon

-strably going to be as fabulous as the Mustang...

Oh well I might be wrong about a Demon but I b'ain't wrong about the 'Stang, proper job Johnty mate.

One the nose Bill. The Demon it is. I keep looking then putting her back. But judging by my wallet malfunction she looks like she might be staying out. 😇😍🤪 oh and thanks for the praise, far too kind.

On 27/09/2021 at 09:01, Fritag said:

Magic finishing Johnny. 

I think those HGW belts will look ace.

I found the smaller belts (in particular) very stretchy and prone to curl when I used them on my 1/48 spit - and a tip I was given was not to remove the carrier paper - or p'raps to only remove as much backing paper as you need to thread the belt through a buckle - until as late as possible (I think the instructions say remove the carrier paper at the start and scrunch up the belts) .

Mind you - you don't look to have had any problems at all Johnny - so it was probably my fumble fingeredness that was the issue in the first place :D

I don’t know how you did it at a smaller scale. Hmmm backing paper. It mentioned this on the instructions but they don’t seem to have any? Very odd. They seem to be working though.  Oh and thanks. 😀

On 27/09/2021 at 17:32, Brandy said:

Very, very, impressive, although I do think the tyres are a little underinflated. Minor point though!

Ian

Thanks. Erm, shouldn’t I have flattened them off? 😬🤫 you ain’t seen nothing guv. 🧐

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

By pure chance, I have just come across this masterpiece in the making Johnny. You will already have seen a fair number of likes as I wandered through the thread................

What can I say, other than this is awesomely impressive stuff indeed. A fantastic build in every way and a very fitting tribute. The paint work alone is a masterclass in that art.

Maybe I need to get with the plan and do one of these museum tribute builds, I think I have stuff in the stash that would qualify.

Will be glued to this one going forward now.

Terry

PS I  loved he look of those cheese and sweetcorn scones!

Blimey!! Thankyou. I’m glad you like the pony as @corsaircorp would say.  And the scones were scrummy. 

3 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Sublime build again Johnny!👍

Thank you. I am happy with her. 😍

• Like 3

Hey guys. No update this week as work is at fever pitch at the moment. I did however have a very slight wallet malfunction.

I blame  @TheBaron and mostly @hendie for poking me over the edge. I apologise to @perdu for joining the resin gang before I even did a plunge mould. (For shame) 

51535761001_f855bbb0c9_b.jpg

Looks like the new Demon build will have a few bespoke parts. 😍😍😍😍

I may be some time. 🧐

Johnny

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

Lovely!  

You'll thank us for this later, maybe not over the next few weeks, but eventually, you will.

Did you order resin as well? (None is supplied with the printer). I can recommend the Elegoo standard grey resin. 

Remember to shout if you have any questions

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, hendie said:

Lovely!  

You'll thank us for this later, maybe not over the next few weeks, but eventually, you will.

Did you order resin as well? (None is supplied with the printer). I can recommend the Elegoo standard grey resin. 

Remember to shout if you have any questions

Oh I’ll be asking questions. 🙌 I think I watched every video there was. I went for the Mars 2pro. It’s on special offer at Amazon at the moment. There’s resin/ ipa and carbon filters in the other boxes. ❤️ Roll on the weekend .

12 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

3D printer - you’ll have fun with that!

Time to look at scratch-building a whole new way…😎

I know right. So exciting.

• Like 6

Ian, our Spadgent is a 3D Max user. He shouldn't have any problems (it's like trying to draw in 3 dimensions with string).

The one great advantage Max has over standard CAD software is the ability to add texture maps... Johnny do you know if textures and bump maps etc export in the STL file?  If so, you're onto a winner there.

In standard CAD, it's very difficult to apply things like ripples, or dents to an object, for example, making a seat cushion look like it's been sat on, and less like a cardboard box

• Like 5

On 30/09/2021 at 19:42, Brandy said:

The printing is the easy bit. It's the bloody CAD drawing that is the tough part! (Unless you're Hendie or The Baron of course)

Ian

Hopefully printing will be the easy bit. I actually am a 3D artist for my day job so I think that bits covered.  (Famous last words) 🤪

On 30/09/2021 at 19:57, hendie said:

Ian, our Spadgent is a 3D Max user. He shouldn't have any problems (it's like trying to draw in 3 dimensions with string).

The one great advantage Max has over standard CAD software is the ability to add texture maps... Johnny do you know if textures and bump maps etc export in the STL file?  If so, you're onto a winner there.

In standard CAD, it's very difficult to apply things like ripples, or dents to an object, for example, making a seat cushion look like it's been sat on, and less like a cardboard box

Indeed. Strangely enough I was thinking whether bump / height maps got exported into the .STL .   I have never exported in that format before, we shall see. If not I do have Z-Brush so adding smaller texture details should be workable in that. Finally an excuse to learn a new program. 🤩

On 30/09/2021 at 20:21, Lewis95 said:

Ooooooooooooooh.....

Shiny!

It might be. Still in the box.  ‘‘Twas fencing tonight. 🤺🤺🤺

On 30/09/2021 at 18:52, Terry1954 said:

Excellent, another one joining the 3D printing club! I plan to get one, but have to wait till Hobby room move to new hobby room is done. Later is awaiting builder!

Terry

Oooh new room on the horizon. Nice one. If you are looking check Amazon for the sale. 🥰

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I did however have a very slight wallet malfunction.

Much satisfaction awaits you Johnny; looking forward immensely to seeing your work spread in exciting new directions. The very best of luck to you and as Alan says, just shout if you need any info. 🫂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 01/10/2021 at 15:50, TheBaron said:

Much satisfaction awaits you Johnny; looking forward immensely to seeing your work spread in exciting new directions. The very best of luck to you and as Alan says, just shout if you need any info. 🫂

Thanks Tony. I’ve been having lots of fun playing with Chitu box and actually trying to figure out my next steps. It’s great fun going back to regular modelling too.  I haven’t felt this buzzed in ages I can see this new tool helping me in many ways. Fingers crossed I get it right. 🙌😇😬😍

• Like 2

Any hoo enough of this 3D resin malarkey you’re here for a Pony right? 😆😉🐎

The last few steps are underway. The lights are getting added.

51547011406_f64a5e0b09_b.jpg

And this one for the wheel well. At least I think it’s a light?

51547252083_67ec8b7bd1_b.jpg

Here’s a rather blurred picture of the last bits to get painted. The aerial and the under wing probe thing.

51547012396_a0a31a65df_b.jpg

Rubbish picture though eh? 🤪

The tanks got glued in place.

51547933490_44a94c0a08_b.jpg

And the little light thing got added to the wheel well.

51546210787_ebdfdb26ae_b.jpg

The belts got threaded together. My eyes are still ok but this was a bit of a challenge.

51547934255_b598313ecc_b.jpg

The lights got painted.

51547735689_cb107f457a_b.jpg

And the three amigos got a freshen up. 😇

51546209917_c4756782c0_b.jpg

The tanks look rather nice on I think. 

51547933540_51c85b6f12_b.jpg

The seat got installed into its final resting place.

51547933505_61400c6c84_b.jpg

Looks nice and busy. 
and from the front.

51547252918_7f73cb2cf3_b.jpg

Finally the aerial and probe got glued on.

51547252908_2b41caa218_b.jpg

Now what a do about radio wire ? It goes into the little hump on the canopy. Now does it thread through and into the radio or just attach there? Does anyone know? I’m sure someone does.  Well currently I’m thinking open office as the clear parts aren’t the best. But she does look nice closed too.

51546209957_55612ae792_b.jpg

Maybe I can leave it floating so Jim can do both? I’ll ask see what he thinks. 🤩

Well there she is. Just the wire if indeed I add wire.

I’ll sign off before I go onto other ventures and you know what this means?  

yup.

I really need to get some RFIs done. I have: The Hind 1/48 , The Typhoon 1/72, The wild Willy RC and now this.   I’ll not start anything new until they’re in the bag. 
😇😇😇😇😇😇

In other news Covid has come knocking over the past day or so. First my daughter then The wife, this morning the boy got a positive so it’s only a matter of time. I’m right at the end of a project at work too. 😨🤒

We have split the house. Well I have the mid life crisis cave and the sitting room and the downstairs shower room. They have the rest. It’s not all bad, while avoiding family members  I get a lot of photos taken. 🤣🥲😂

Take care y’all. I hope you all had a cracking weekend.

Happy modelling chums.

Johnny

• Like 15
  • Sad 3

That looks awesome Johnny. So totally impressed with that finish.

Re the Covid visitation. Wishing the family well as soonest, and lets hope you can keep it at bay yourself. We have had similar occur within my wider family, with my daughter's partner proving positive, and getting a "bit unwell" for a while, yet their son, daughter and my own daughter, remained untouched, despite all living in very close proximity! The mysteries of Covid eh?

Stay well.

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I hope the covid issue doesn't become anything more than nuisance for you and family.

I've got to say that I have no real interest in Mustangs - they just don't do it for me, but this has been a fascinating build to follow, and looking at the result,  I think this is one of your best builds, definitely in the top 3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Johnny likewise on CV-19 in the home - best wishes to you all for a rapid recovery.

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

haven’t felt this buzzed in ages I can see this new tool helping me in many ways. Fingers crossed I get it right. 🙌😇😬

Great to hear, and yes you will.

Beautiful visuals on paint and tone here. 👏

• Thanks 1

Here's hoping your family quickly recovers from Covid and you manage to stay clear of it.

Absolutely stunning Mustang in the right setting could be mistaken for a 1:1

Stay safe      Roger

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Now what a do about radio wire ? 

Well currently I’m thinking open office as the clear parts aren’t the best. But she does look nice closed too.

I'm quite ready to be corrected, but I don't think ETO Mustangs had a wire fitted.  I know that this has been discussed (not necessarily on BM) several times...

Based on one of the photos above, remember that when open the canopy "lays on" the fuselage, it doesn't follow the bottom line "straight back".  You probably knew that, but it is a common oopsie, and sometimes some adjustment to the parts is necessary to make it sit correctly.

I'll join the others by saying that I hope the Covid thing passes easily for your family.

bob

p.s. Yes, that's the landing lamp sticking out of the wheel well.

• Thanks 1

Hello Spad,

First of all, I hope that the dirty bug will spare you and your family !

Isolation when living in the same house is not an easy task, we'll get through this last year.

Do not worry too much about the tests, they are not reliable at all, 40% is a poor result indeed...

SWMBO was sick as hell last year, she has been tested 3 times and she has a negative result.....

Only the blood testing is reliable in fact...

Really great Mustang my friend, no antenna wire to me...

can't wait to see the RFI

3 WiP on the bench ??? What's to worry about ??

Serial starter you will be my young padawan... :penguin:

May the serial starter force be with you....

CC with large green ears....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This build is looking amazing Johnny! I've loved following along, especially as my own workbench has been neglected this summer.

Hope the family get through Covid OK.

I've seen your kit stash, you'll be fine 👍 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a stunning model Johnny, truly a build to be proud of.

I hope you manage to avoid the plague and that the family all recover quickly.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 1:53 PM, The Spadgent said:

Oh I’ll be asking questions. 🙌 I think I watched every video there was. I went for the Mars 2pro. It’s on special offer at Amazon at the moment. There’s resin/ ipa and carbon filters in the other boxes. ❤️ Roll on the weekend .

I know right. So exciting.

If you have a working knowledge of Max you own 3D printing. The hard part will be deciding on what to build first! This from someone from that OTHER 3D Anim camp.. LW😜

• Like 2

Excellent job on the Pony before I forget and wander off into La-la land.  On a P-51D Build I did a few months back II added the antenna wire thru the canopy . But here is a chat on what P-51 sub-types did use antenna wire.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/p51-d-antenna-wire.18345/page-2

Hope it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51546210787_ebdfdb26ae_b.jpg

Great work Johnny, I also note you are a drinker of fine English wines (from a neighbour of mine).

Dave

Edited by Coors54
Removed duplicate entries
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1