"It's Life Jim, but not as we know it" It's the 453rd Museum's 1/32 P-51D Mustang by Revell.

On 6/28/2021 at 6:54 AM, Biggles87 said:

I don’t think I’ve had a Mustang with leading edge inserts that fitted well, I think they do it just to increase the parts count and not out of necessity.

Just an FYI, the single part is to keep the wing seam from going right thru the gun holes. Always looks crappy.

Nice work on your 'stang' John.

• Thanks 2

Good to see this taking shape - my build has been on hold for the last few months as we've just moved house but I'm looking forward to finishing a few jobs in the cockpit this weekend. 

I hope you don't mind me mentioning this but the proportions of your belly D-Day stripes look a little off - they should all be the same width but your central white stripe looks to be a bit wider than the others.

cheers,

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 03/06/2021 at 07:38, The Spadgent said:

I was going for YZC s as it’s new to me

OK, showing my 'newbieism' now. Am assuming YZC is Yellow Zinc Chromate?

What is NFM?

• Like 1

@Herrick NFM should be NMF which is natural metal finish. That is unpainted some modern restoration warbirds are very highly polished war time ones tended to be quite dull in comparison.

Hope that makes sense

Stay safe           Roger 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 15/07/2021 at 23:25, hendie said:

Wow.

Not much else to say really. Just Wow.

Too kind. Thankyou. 😇

On 16/07/2021 at 02:16, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, great work--I never thought of using paper towels for masking--now I can credit you for another technique in my builds🙌--best, Erwin 

Thanks Erwin. I’m certainly not the first to use towels. I think I was reminded of it by someone saying they mask wheel Wells this way. It reminded a memory. 

On 16/07/2021 at 07:52, giemme said:

Impeccable striping, Johnny! :worthy: :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. 🙌

On 16/07/2021 at 08:40, 81-er said:

That's really excellent work, it's going to be a real beauty

James

Thanks James. I hope so as she isn’t mine to keep. 😩😲😇

On 16/07/2021 at 09:13, corsaircorp said:

Impressive !! :mike:

CC

Thanks Alain. 🙌

On 16/07/2021 at 10:31, Hamden said:

Nice very very nice - looking forward to seeing this one completed now!

Stay safe         Roger

Why Thankyou sir.

On 17/07/2021 at 01:03, MIkeMaben said:

Just an FYI, the single part is to keep the wing seam from going right thru the gun holes. Always looks crappy.

Nice work on your 'stang' John.

Thanks.

On 23/07/2021 at 07:52, SafetyDad said:

Getting there now...

And a grand job on the paintwork - very nicely done

SD

Thank you.

On 23/07/2021 at 09:52, TempestV said:

Good to see this taking shape - my build has been on hold for the last few months as we've just moved house but I'm looking forward to finishing a few jobs in the cockpit this weekend. 

I hope you don't mind me mentioning this but the proportions of your belly D-Day stripes look a little off - they should all be the same width but your central white stripe looks to be a bit wider than the others.

cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the info. Just checked and you might be right. Looks like it’s about 2mm wider. I should have been more accurate with my tape. You can’t really tell with the decals in place so if you lot don’t say anything I won’t. 🤫

Good luck with your build by the way. Hope the move goes well. Are you doing a WIP? 

On 24/07/2021 at 16:25, Herrick said:

OK, showing my 'newbieism' now. Am assuming YZC is Yellow Zinc Chromate?

What is NFM?

Don’t be afraid to ask questions Sir. So much jargon Flying about. 😀 Roger has answered your question I see. Good old BM hive mind. ❤️

On 24/07/2021 at 17:13, Hamden said:

@Herrick NFM should be NMF which is natural metal finish. That is unpainted some modern restoration warbirds are very highly polished war time ones tended to be quite dull in comparison.

Hope that makes sense

Stay safe           Roger 

Thanks Roger. 

😇🙌

• Like 2

Hey you lot, sorry for the radio silence We have been away on our holls. First one in two years it’s it? And what a joy not to be in the house. ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Nothing fancy just a week camping in the new forest but my bones needed it so much. 😍 There was no wifi and hardly any signal at all so it’s been a real time away from tech. See I completed this at long last.

51343944877_9af8167b63_b.jpg

The kids are getting older so sand castles are no longer on the Bill. The sea still holds something for them though. 💙

51345409649_1d10f19c20_b.jpg

I have missed catching up with you lot on BM with a cold beer and a warm evening. Time to update the Stang and see what you guys have been up to.

Work has been done over the previous week amongst getting ready so I’ll post up and then I can get cracking.

Two lots of top coat got added then dried so I could get on with decals.

51343944872_5f804430f1_b.jpg

I’m doing the BIG ones first as a little treat. 😆😇

51345409619_615f7d60f0_b.jpg

as @TempestV pointed out my stripes have been on the cake again. 🤭 The middle one is about 2mm too wide but with the decals in place it looks ok.

51343944787_394ab01a28_b.jpg

So mums the word. 🤫

I do love decals but sometimes you get some real stinkers. These ones however are really great and conform very well with micro sol.

51343944667_dcb94678fc_b.jpg

The nose looked like it was going to be fun. I know @giemme is twitching just looking at this one. 😆

51345409679_ee68a0bf16_b.jpg

You can see the wrinkles here.

51345680270_23ae8d501c_b.jpg

But via the gift of Micro sol we have a smooth finish even around the tricky bits.

51344662546_d8ff9fefb1_b.jpg

I’m happy with that. Even the rat looks like he’s willing to fight anyone who says different. 😆

51344892333_87c5852883_b.jpg

There are a loads more decals so I thing I’ll spend some of today adding them watching the rain and thinking what might have been if we had been packing away in the storm.

51344662536_71e7866840_b.jpg

Hope you’re all still enjoying the build.

More soon.

All the best and as always.

Happy modelling. 

Johnny. 🤗

• Like 18

Well done with the nose decal, @The Spadgent Johnny Checkers ! Often a lottery as to whether they will settle properly, and you've had a win with this one.

Looking very nice indeed and will be a credit to your work and a conversation piece when it gets to the museum.  Love it !!

Rog

• Thanks 1

Hello Spad !!

Great job !! 

Congrats for the nose decals, I sweated my teeth on my Yeager's pony for these 🤬🤬

Don't you worry for the stripes, they were not regular on the real thing either....

Real good pony on here !!

Congrats again...

CC

• Thanks 1

Glad you enjoyed the hols! I too have just gone back to work after 2 weeks off, but I was quarantined in my apartment with Covid!

Excellent work on that nose decal. That could really have messed things up royally if it had not gone well.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, roginoz said:

Well done with the nose decal, @The Spadgent Johnny Checkers ! Often a lottery as to whether they will settle properly, and you've had a win with this one.

Looking very nice indeed and will be a credit to your work and a conversation piece when it gets to the museum.  Love it !!

Rog

Thank you for the kind words. Yes it was a bit of a struggle to get them lined up but with a lot of breath holding e we got there. 😀

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad !!

Great job !! 

Congrats for the nose decals, I sweated my teeth on my Yeager's pony for these 🤬🤬

Don't you worry for the stripes, they were not regular on the real thing either....

Real good pony on here !!

Congrats again...

CC

Thanks Alain. The checkers were a bit hairy I’ll tell you that. 😲

Good to hear about the stripes although I’d gone way to far past the point of no return anyway. 🤫😀

Lovely relaxed day today with not a lot to do so what with it still being holiday time I figured I’d get the decals done.

The little ones.

There they are look.

51344526627_0719b7bbf9_b.jpg

Surely you can see them.

51345993469_db386c00b8_b.jpg

Closer maybe?

51345993434_ac93349fd5_b.jpg

There are loads of the little blighters. Just small enough to be invisible. I wonder what they’re like in 1/72? 😲

Also if any one out there has built this kit, what did you do with these nose decals? 

51344526692_69e5abaa92_b.jpg

:107, 108, 109 they all look the same but I just can’t see where they’re meant to go? Any help would be appreciated.

Also. This vent panel thing.

The perforated one just lower left of “Rat” what colour is it meant to be?

51345476368_a4b4ffdbce_b.jpg

The instructions don’t say but it looks to be metal.

possibly more later. Just remembered I need to do the harness. 😲

Johnny

• Like 16

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Aaaaaargh! :frantic:

:rofl2:

Excellent job with them decals,  Johnny! :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks G. Sorry for the twitch. 😆🤭

21 minutes ago, antonio argudo said:

one tip about 357th camouflaged Mustangs is that there were no stencils since they were overpainted, the only  stencil which remained was the serial number under the cockpit, cheers

I’m not 100% sure what you’re saying. Are you saying there are no stencils at all? Or just none of the little ones? Either way it’s a bit late to change but it would be good to know. Do you have any pictures of the desert rat. I have only found a few and can make out the words by the rat itself and some of the cap covers but if you have more that would be helpful. Especially about that vent I asked about earlier. 

Thanks for your help.

Johnny

• Like 1

Looking excellent Johnny. 

Just caught up with this project, and I'd better go back and catch up with all the internal shenanigans etc. 

This museum is being well served for sure! 

Not sure if I have ever seen a "feature" made of those perf panels, just painted with the main fuselage colours. But I'm Shootin from the hip, I'm no expert on the subject. 

Right, I'd better get reading the back pages, for all I know there's a complete Packard Merlin tucked away in there! 😇

Some time later...... Well, there might have been. 

Plenty of other stuff piled in there. All looking great 👍

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Looking excellent Johnny. 

Just caught up with this project, and I'd better go back and catch up with all the internal shenanigans etc. 

This museum is being well served for sure! 

Not sure if I have ever seen a "feature" made of those perf panels, just painted with the main fuselage colours. But I'm Shootin from the hip, I'm no expert on the subject. 

Right, I'd better get reading the back pages, for all I know there's a complete Packard Merlin tucked away in there! 😇

Some time later...... Well, there might have been. 

Plenty of other stuff piled in there. All looking great 👍

Thanks Rob. I’ve been researching this morning and it looks like the vent thing on “Desert rat” may have just been how I have it now. I have seen models with both and can’t quite tell on the actual photo but there is quite a comprehensive call out of markings on a web site I found and it has the panel as is so I’m going to leave it as is. 

• Like 1

Amazing Johnny—the invasion stripes really turned out well & you are making me feel better about falling behind during an upcoming holiday—FWIW & I am no expert—everything I have read on 357th FG aircraft  checks with @antonio argudo’s observation that technical stencils were at most minimal—now comes the torrent of research indicating otherwise and you will be perfect 🙌  best, Erwin

• Thanks 1

These might help...

Note the cockpit data plate stencil block on the port side.

IMG_0280

And an enlargement of the nose grille...

IMG_0281

Source: Sheflin S. (1987) Airfoil No 5 Airfoil Publications Costa Mesa USA. Uploaded for the sole purpose of research/discussion

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A better duplication of the middle pic (above).

Note the semi-gloss wing uppersurface finish and the vent paintwork. There seems to be some stencilling on the cowling hatch below the crew chief's elbow. Of course that doesn't mean that there are other stencils necessarily.

IMG_0285

From here:

IMG_0286

SD

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well, don't know how I missed this one but I did which is silly as I have two of these kits in the stash, well I'm on board now.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Amazing Johnny—the invasion stripes really turned out well & you are making me feel better about falling behind during an upcoming holiday—FWIW & I am no expert—everything I have read on 357th FG aircraft  checks with @antonio argudo’s observation that technical stencils were at most minimal—now comes the torrent of research indicating otherwise and you will be perfect 🙌  best, Erwin

Thank you. Either way it should be ok as you can’t see most of them. Black

on black. 

7 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

These might help...

Note the cockpit data plate stencil block on the port side.

IMG_0280

And an enlargement of the nose grille...

IMG_0281

Source: Sheflin S. (1987) Airfoil No 5 Airfoil Publications Costa Mesa USA. Uploaded for the sole purpose of research/discussion

7 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

A better duplication of the middle pic (above).

Note the semi-gloss wing uppersurface finish and the vent paintwork. There seems to be some stencilling on the cowling hatch below the crew chief's elbow. Of course that doesn't mean that there are other stencils necessarily.

IMG_0285

From here:

IMG_0286

SD

FANTASTIC!!!!! Thank you so much. So some stencils is ok. Once weathered it’ll look all worn so all good. 😇🤩😀

7 hours ago, spitfire said:

Well, don't know how I missed this one but I did which is silly as I have two of these kits in the stash, well I'm on board now.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks. Lots of options for these birds. I think when I do mine I’ll pick a fresh scheme. 😇

2 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

& win to @SafetyDad—told you the torrent would come 😛 best, Erwin 

Yes. Thanks @SafetyDad much appreciated. ❤️

3 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

& win to @SafetyDad—told you the torrent would come 😛 best, Erwin 

And I tried SO hard to present a reasoned middle ground with my pictures so as not to be the party pooper here!

Actually, if you click on the last pic and enlarge it, it seems that the data block stencil has been applied  on top of the 'Desert Rat' artwork. Does that mean that this aircraft was painted and then stencils reapplied? 

Or was the data block too important to be painted over and so only this was reapplied after the repaint? 

:wink:

SD

• Like 3

Looking in my files, the stencilling is present on the aircrafts, but have been rarely re applied over the nose checkerboard and not at all over invasion stripes..

The way I did on mine...

IMG_20210109_115336

No worries then...

infos coming from motorbooks on P-51

Spendiferous pony my Dear Spad...

Maestro @giemme seem to have enjoyed the hum decals....:rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1